Re: Banana Trees, Cactii, Padres & Indians, etc.

  • Travis Handschug
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 19, 2006
      I've just uploaded four photos of a small desert scene. I wanted to
      try a few new things including some O scale saguaro cactus. The cactus
      is carved from basswood. I'm not really happy with them and I don't
      know if I will continue developing the technique because I'm modeling
      Eastern California and don't need them. The color isn't right and they
      still need a little weathering.

      The On30 track is hand laid code 83 on S scale standard gauge ties,
      the gondola if from Bachmann.

      Enjoy,
      Travis in Mesa
    • Travis Glass
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 19, 2006
        Travis,

        Incredible scene! Actually I think the cactus are great! I'd like to know more about your techniques in making the cactus as I am modeling a desert mining scene in 3/8ths scale and I need a ton of of saguaro cactus.

        Excellent!

        Travis in Texas

      • azflyer2001@cox.net
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 20, 2006
          Travis,

          I use the sane technique as John Olson except I use basswood instead of balsa. I think it holds the grain better. The arms a made with a rectangular piece which is sanded into a "J". I think it looks better than the two piece, 90 degree arms that John made. I use a brass wire wheel in a drill to add texture. It's not easy to see in the photos but it looks better than a smooth surface. I tried using a razor saw but I didn't like the effect.

          I hope that helps, good luck.

          Travis in Mesa