Re: [Yorke_Kits] Update on the state of the world......

  • Don Winter
    Message 1 of 27 , May 10 11:10 AM
      May I chime in here? This business affects me in a similar fashion and I do
      NOT have the health problems Tom has.

      The big problem is that I find in selling kits that sucks up time is the
      shipping and communications problems. It seems few sit down and figure out
      EVRYTHING they want and do one order. They order something and mid-way they
      make special requests or ask for a quote on a couple extra parts or decide
      they want two lits instead of one and hour after I have been to the post
      office, and just last week I had TWO money orders in the mail with
      absolitely no identifying information and had to actual write to the
      scrawled return address. So far only one has responded and there will be
      someday a nasty email waiting for me where some guy will be wanting to know
      where his orer is.

      This may absolutely shock all of you. I can produce a kit in FAR less time
      than it takes to write and print the instructions, pack it in the kit box,
      do all the emails, then weigh the package, address it and take it to the
      post office.

      Now this will seem nuts on the surface, but I have made the business
      decision for all my future kits that there will be NO instructions at all
      only email support becasue (a) no one reads them (b) if they do they do not
      undertsnad them (c) they want to build the kit differently than I had in
      mind (d) they are frightfully labor intensive to produce (e) and I still
      have to do the email support anyway so why not cut to the chase and just
      answer questions for the 1% who actually build the kits the day after they
      receive them!

      Now, before any of you rebutt, this wasn't something I flippently came up
      with, but I felt if I did not eliminate the instructions, I was going to
      completely cease operations as it wasn;t worth the extra cost and slim
      profit margin in this business.

      What I found was that once I annouce a new kit I can't do ANYTHING but ship
      and answer questions until they are sold nearly out which is usually around
      a month. If I get requests for some I produced a few months or years back
      and happen to have most of the critical parts stored, it is a nightmare
      trying to put togeher just one more kit for that eprson who so badly wants
      it. But I do it if I can come up with it, between shipping packages and
      other things.

      Anyhow, tghis is probably omne of the few hobbies that operates this way.
      Once I owned a 1906 Reo and answered and Ad to buy reproduction brass
      Carbide lamps for the Car, about a $1000 worth and sent off the money. I
      was patient and after about 9 months call the place and asked about the
      progress assuming they were a cottage industry and had run into delays etc.
      They informed me I was way too impatient and that if I could habg on about
      two more years they would have the lamps to me. I asked for a refund which
      they did indeed remit and started sttending car auctions until I had all the
      original lamps I need for the car. Some hobbies are just this way! LOL

      Don Winter
    • Dayna Williamson
      Message 2 of 27 , May 10 11:12 AM
        Tom - I know where you are coming from. Even though most people don't
        understand what it takes to get a project from an idea to delivery I
        believe the people on this list are patient. Plan ahead for after your
        surgery and have things ready and at your finger tips or you will become
        bored to tears! My husband is having one of those stair chairs installed
        for me as my workshop is in the basement and my knees are telling me they
        are getting tired too. Good luck with your surgery.

        Dayna Williamson CEO
        Trainstuff LLC
        www.trainstuffllc.com
      • Hans Hammarsten
        Message 3 of 27 , May 10 11:48 AM
          Hi Tom
          Sad to hear bout your disorder, but every thing will
          go for the better.
          My thought are with You.
          Take it easy, get the weight of your feet and relax a
          bit. Maybe time to stop and smell the roses.
          Cheers
          Hans
          --- tomyorkethebigstuff <tomyorke@...>
          skrev:
          ---------------------------------
          ....................................................and
          other trivial matters.

          First of all, the #107 Stone Storefronts are held up
          due to a lack
          of Grandt parts. I am still awaiting delivery! If
          you've wondered
          why I seem to be so slow with deliveries, it is
          because of a
          medical condition that has been progressing for
          several years. I
          have suffered nurve damage in my legs from an illness
          and I
          need both knees replaced. Because of this, I am moving
          really
          slowly for the past two years. Constant pain in both
          legs which
          wears me out very quickly. So, as a result, it takes
          me much
          longer to do practically anything. I am working as
          fast as I can,
          but that ain't too fast these days!

          In mid June I will have one knee replaced and will be
          down for
          the count for about 4 to 6 weeks they tell me. I am
          trying to get
          things done before then. Coupled to that, the way the
          market has
          been these past few years, I must work on many, many
          different
          items because so few of each sell at any one time. It
          is very
          difficult to work in such a way, but that's the way it
          is now.

          I will have the special new kitfor show and tell
          probably next
          week. The built-ups will be done first. Probably
          something I can
          work on when I am laid up. The actual "kits" will be
          out in August.
          The 107's will be out as soon as I get the parts.

          Back orders are slow because I can't do all p[rocesses
          at once.
          Plaster for a few days or a week, then catch up on the
          resin
          casting, then drawplans and write instructions - oh
          yes, shipping
          is in there somewhere (I think). Then, I have to work
          far ahead on
          new items to get them out and advertised in a
          reasonable
          amount of time, too.

          So, all in all, I am asking you to please be patient.
          I will get this
          stuff out, it is just going to take me a while to do
          so. Just thought
          you should know the status of your orders and products
          that
          need to be shipped. Hope this sheds some light on the
          subject
          and puts things in proper perspective. I truely regret
          the delays.

          Terms of Service.

          Höstrusk och grå moln - köp en resa till solen på Yahoo! Resor på adressen http://se.docs.yahoo.com/travel/index.html
        • Craig Kanewske
          Message 4 of 27 , May 10 11:54 AM
            Tom--

            Thanks for keeping us posted.

            Of the people I've known who've had knee replacements--the ones who really
            stuck with the post-op physical therapy were the ones who bounced-back the
            soonest. So my free medical advice is: grit your teeth, sweat plaster if
            you have to, and do what the nazi therapist tells you.

            Craig

            >....................................................and other trivial
            matters.

            >First of all, the #107 Stone Storefronts are held up due to a lack
            >of Grandt parts. I am still awaiting delivery! If you've wondered
            >why I seem to be so slow with deliveries, it is because of a
            >medical condition that has been progressing for several years. I
            >have suffered nurve damage in my legs from an illness and I
            >need both knees replaced. Because of this, I am moving really
            >slowly for the past two years. Constant pain in both legs which
            >wears me out very quickly. So, as a result, it takes me much
            >longer to do practically anything. I am working as fast as I can,
            >but that ain't too fast these days!
            >
            >In mid June I will have one knee replaced and will be down for
            >the count for about 4 to 6 weeks they tell me. I am trying to get
            >things done before then. Coupled to that, the way the market has
            >been these past few years, I must work on many, many different
            >items because so few of each sell at any one time. It is very
            >difficult to work in such a way, but that's the way it is now.
            >
            >I will have the special new kitfor show and tell probably next
            >week. The built-ups will be done first. Probably something I can
            >work on when I am laid up. The actual "kits" will be out in August.
            >The 107's will be out as soon as I get the parts.
            >
            >Back orders are slow because I can't do all p[rocesses at once.
            >Plaster for a few days or a week, then catch up on the resin
            >casting, then drawplans and write instructions - oh yes, shipping
            >is in there somewhere (I think). Then, I have to work far ahead on
            >new items to get them out and advertised in a reasonable
            >amount of time, too.
            >
            >So, all in all, I am asking you to please be patient. I will get this
            >stuff out, it is just going to take me a while to do so. Just thought
            >you should know the status of your orders and products that
            >need to be shipped. Hope this sheds some light on the subject
            >and puts things in proper perspective. I truely regret the delays.
            >

            >Cheers,
            >Tom
            >

            >Yahoo! Groups Links

          • soldat
            Message 5 of 27 , May 10 2:07 PM
              Yep, couldn't agree more! Having had knee replaced after being "blown out" while coaching college football, I can state from experience tha PT is absolutely REQUIRED to make a speedy and successful recovery. Have as much range of motion as I had before. Only problem, I feel that some of my balance is gone.

              Incidentally, I saw a recent article that a new method is in the works, whereby, they do not have to cut the tendons, et.al. Might ask your doc' about that one.

              Jack

              >....................................................and other trivial
              matters.

              >First of all, the #107 Stone Storefronts are held up due to a lack
              >of Grandt parts. I am still awaiting delivery! If you've wondered
              >why I seem to be so slow with deliveries, it is because of a
              >medical condition that has been progressing for several years. I
              >have suffered nurve damage in my legs from an illness and I
              >need both knees replaced. Because of this, I am moving really
              >slowly for the past two years. Constant pain in both legs which
              >wears me out very quickly. So, as a result, it takes me much
              >longer to do practically anything. I am working as fast as I can,
              >but that ain't too fast these days!
              >
              >In mid June I will have one knee replaced and will be down for
              >the count for about 4 to 6 weeks they tell me. I am trying to get
              >things done before then. Coupled to that, the way the market has
              >been these past few years, I must work on many, many different
              >items because so few of each sell at any one time. It is very
              >difficult to work in such a way, but that's the way it is now.
              >
              >I will have the special new kitfor show and tell probably next
              >week. The built-ups will be done first. Probably something I can
              >work on when I am laid up. The actual "kits" will be out in August.
              >The 107's will be out as soon as I get the parts.
              >
              >Back orders are slow because I can't do all p[rocesses at once.
              >Plaster for a few days or a week, then catch up on the resin
              >casting, then drawplans and write instructions - oh yes, shipping
              >is in there somewhere (I think). Then, I have to work far ahead on
              >new items to get them out and advertised in a reasonable
              >amount of time, too.
              >
              >So, all in all, I am asking you to please be patient. I will get this
              >stuff out, it is just going to take me a while to do so. Just thought
              >you should know the status of your orders and products that
              >need to be shipped. Hope this sheds some light on the subject
              >and puts things in proper perspective. I truely regret the delays.
              >

              >Cheers,
              >Tom
              >

              >Yahoo! Groups Links

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            • mwhirailer
              Message 6 of 27 , May 10 3:33 PM
                Hi Tom,

                Yikes, you've got a ton on your plate!!! Good luck with the knees. You'll feel like a million bucks once they're done but it does take a little while to get the new ones 'roadworthy'. 8^)

                Regarding Grandt Line parts, I believe that Don Tichy offers quick and timely delivery of compatible parts. Other manufacturers have gone to Don precisely due to this same issue. Hope this helps.

                Terry Wellman
                St. Charles, IL

              • Steve Hale
                Message 7 of 27 , May 11 1:01 AM
                  I think that Tom has done the right thing here. In this modern world we all
                  seem to want things now and I have to admit that I am as guilty of that as
                  the next man. However...Where a business lets itself down is when they don't
                  let customers know what is happening. If Tom was a long time in shipping and
                  kept silent in the meantime then I would worry. As it is he has done the
                  right thing in my opinion and kept us informed.
                  On another list there is currently a thread running about a very skilled
                  small time producer who has taken orders and then done nothing about them.
                  Now he's being badmouthed by the disgruntled customers. Who can blame them?
                  Surely a simple explanation would have kept most people happy.
                  Having spent many years as a negotiator in the workplace I soon learnt that
                  the biggest cause of problems was lack of communication. Thanks for the
                  explanation Tom. I for one am happy to wait.
                  Good luck with the surgery.....
                  Steve UK.

                  Message 8 of 27 , May 11 4:37 AM
                    All I expect is perfect results instantly, no more. Don Winter
                  • Dayna Williamson
                    Message 9 of 27 , May 11 4:58 AM
                      Tom - A thought. You might also make a memo on your web site that you will
                      be having surgery and upcoming orders may be delayed. I just yesterday
                      posted on mine that I would be away on vacation from July 1 - 13 at the
                      NMRA convention so any orders received after June 15 might be delayed.

                      Dayna Williamson CEO
                      Trainstuff LLC
                      www.trainstuffllc.com
                    • Jim Hill
                      Message 10 of 27 , May 12 12:54 AM
                        Don Winter (who makes excellent kits) wrote:

                        > I have made the business decision for all my future kits that
                        > there will be NO instructions at all only email support becasue
                        > (a) no one reads them . . . . and I still have to do the email
                        > support anyway so why not cut to the chase and just
                        > answer questions for the 1% who actually build the kits the
                        > day after they receive them!

                        A very imaginative solution -- I admire your creativity (and your courage).

                        There may be a few folks unhappy when they first open the box 10 years from
                        now and find no instructions . . . but perhaps they'll start an email group
                        to share construction tips for Don Winter kits :-)

                        Jim Hill
                      • Don Winter
                        Message 11 of 27 , May 12 4:40 AM
                          I'll include something in each kit that explain a few things but no true
                          instructions. Don
                          Message 12 of 27 , May 12 7:03 AM
                            Don has asked me to write the instructions for all of his new kit
                            offerings. It was fairly easy since he wanted something generic
                            for all kits. Here goes;

                            Open box.
                            Squeeze appropriate amount of glue (type of builder's choice).
                            Close box tightly.
                            Shake rapidly for 60 seconds.
                            Open box. There's your kit!

                            Actually, I think that would work for just about anything.

                          • Clark Womack
                            Message 13 of 27 , May 12 7:50 AM
                              Now those are instructions I can understand.

                              At 02:03 PM 5/12/2004 +0000, you wrote:
                              >Don has asked me to write the instructions for all of his new kit
                              >offerings. It was fairly easy since he wanted something generic
                              >for all kits. Here goes;
                              >
                              >Open box.
                              >Squeeze appropriate amount of glue (type of builder's choice).
                              >Close box tightly.
                              >Shake rapidly for 60 seconds.
                              >Open box. There's your kit!
                              >
                              >Actually, I think that would work for just about anything.
                              >

                              >Cheers,
                              >Tom
                              >

                              >Yahoo! Groups Links

                            • Don Winter
                              Message 14 of 27 , May 12 8:19 AM
                                Love it! Don
                              • Craig Kanewske
                                Message 15 of 27 , May 12 8:26 AM
                                  And since no photograph or drawing was included with the kit--no one will
                                  ever know if all the gee-gaws are glued-on at the right place or not.
                                  Should drastically reduce all those pesky "internet support " questions.

                                  Message 16 of 27 , May 12 9:07 AM
                                    --- In Yorke_Kits@yahoogroups.com, "Craig Kanewske"
                                    <kanewske@v...> wrote:
                                    > And since no photograph or drawing was included with the
                                    kit--no one will
                                    > ever know if all the gee-gaws are glued-on at the right place or
                                    not.
                                    > Should drastically reduce all those pesky "internet support "
                                    questions.

                                    Of course, there is still one major hurdle to overcome here, and
                                    that is - how do you get them to actually OPEN the box?

                                    Tom
                                  • David Layzell
                                    Message 17 of 27 , May 12 9:49 AM
                                      Does it matter as long as it's paid for? Can be opened by some
                                      archaeologist in centuries to come.

                                      David - in the flatlands of Norfolk, England. "All messages run
                                      through latest Norton Internet Security software"

                                      > And since no photograph or drawing was included with the
                                      kit--no one will
                                      > ever know if all the gee-gaws are glued-on at the right place or
                                      not.
                                      > Should drastically reduce all those pesky "internet support "
                                      questions.

                                      Of course, there is still one major hurdle to overcome here, and
                                      that is - how do you get them to actually OPEN the box?

                                      Tom

                                      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                                      <http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=12977b136/M=295196.4901138.6071305.3001176/D=gr
                                      oups/S=1706533813:HM/EXP=1084464547/A=2128215/R=0/SIG=10se96mf6/*http://
                                      companion.yahoo.com> click here

                                      s/S=:HM/A=2128215/rand=927251857>

                                      _____

                                      Yahoo! Groups Links

                                    • rickshoup
                                      Message 18 of 27 , May 12 10:08 AM
                                        Hard to do Brass Locos that way unless LOTs
                                        of glue is in box

                                        Regards, Rick Shoup

                                        Please: Only use rshoup@...

                                        I am not on juno any longer.

                                        Message 19 of 27 , May 12 11:08 AM
                                          --- In Yorke_Kits@yahoogroups.com, "rickshoup" <rshoup@t...>
                                          wrote:
                                          > Hard to do Brass Locos that way unless LOTs
                                          > of glue is in box
                                          >
                                          > Regards, Rick Shoup

                                          Oh Rick,.....Rick,
                                          Obviously you don't know the fine points of assembling Brass!
                                          You don't throw glue in the box. What's the matter with you
                                          anyway? You toss in some solder paste and a plugged in iron!
                                          Then shake. Come on man. Get with the program!

                                        • Hans Hammarsten
                                          Message 20 of 27 , May 12 11:52 AM
                                            Ooooo... I'm amazed how much I can learn by just
                                            reading on this site, think I better go try it
                                            I know my wife has an iron, wounder if I'm able to
                                            solder with it???? ;/

                                            ---------------------------------
                                            wrote:
                                            > Hard to do Brass Locos that way unless LOTs
                                            > of glue is in box
                                            >
                                            > Regards, Rick Shoup

                                            Oh Rick,.....Rick,
                                            Obviously you don't know the fine points of assembling
                                            Brass!
                                            You don't throw glue in the box. What's the matter
                                            with you
                                            anyway? You toss in some solder paste and a plugged in
                                            iron!
                                            Then shake. Come on man. Get with the program!

                                            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ADVERTISEMENT

                                            Message 21 of 27 , May 12 12:59 PM
                                              Truly you might be surprised how hot some clothes irons can get.
                                              Older ones especially can melt rayon and
                                              some solders.

                                              Regards, Rick Shoup

                                              Please: Only use rshoup@...

                                              I am not on juno any longer.

                                              > Ooooo... I'm amazed how much I can learn by just
                                              > reading on this site, think I better go try it
                                              > I know my wife has an iron, wounder if I'm able to
                                              > solder with it???? ;/
                                              > Cheers ;)
                                              > Hans
                                              >
                                              > --- tomyorkethebigstuff <tomyorke@...>
                                              > skrev:
                                              > ---------------------------------
                                              > --- In Yorke_Kits@yahoogroups.com, "rickshoup"
                                              > <rshoup@t...>
                                              > wrote:
                                              > > Hard to do Brass Locos that way unless LOTs
                                              > > of glue is in box
                                              > >
                                              > > Regards, Rick Shoup
                                              >

                                              > Oh Rick,.....Rick,
                                              > Obviously you don't know the fine points of assembling
                                              > Brass!
                                              > You don't throw glue in the box. What's the matter
                                              > with you
                                              > anyway? You toss in some solder paste and a plugged in
                                              > iron!
                                              > Then shake. Come on man. Get with the program!
                                              >

                                              > Cheers,
                                              > Tom
                                              >

                                              > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ADVERTISEMENT

                                              > Terms of Service.
                                              >

                                              > Höstrusk och grå moln - köp en resa till solen på Yahoo! Resor på adressen
                                              http://se.docs.yahoo.com/travel/index.html

                                              > Yahoo! Groups Links

                                            • daver37167
                                              Message 22 of 27 , May 13 6:13 AM
                                                --- In Yorke_Kits@yahoogroups.com, "Bob" <marc@r...> wrote:
                                                > I have given this great thought in the last 24 hours...I think
                                                Don's Instruction sheet should be called " The Winter of my Dis-
                                                Contents" Step one- put dis part on dat part. Step two- paint dem
                                                parts. Dats All.....

                                                > > Obviously you don't know the fine points of assembling
                                                > > Brass!
                                                > > You toss in some solder paste and a plugged in
                                                > > iron!
                                                > > Then shake.
                                                > >

                                                > > Cheers,
                                                > > Tom
                                                >

                                                > So thats how those NWSL(?) orange cabeese from many years back were
                                                > assembled!
                                                >
                                                > Marc
                                              • wensleyshortline
                                                Message 23 of 27 , May 13 1:01 PM
                                                  --- In Yorke_Kits@yahoogroups.com, "tomyorkethebigstuff"
                                                  <tomyorke@b...> wrote:
                                                  > Of course, there is still one major hurdle to overcome here, and
                                                  > that is - how do you get them to actually OPEN the box?
                                                  >

                                                  > Tom

                                                  I always understood that you could guarantee the opening of a box by
                                                  adding label "NOT TO BE OPENED UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES".
                                                  GerryB.
                                                • Don Winter
                                                  Message 24 of 27 , May 13 1:12 PM
                                                    Gerry, that might be the key to getting guys to assemble kits! Step by step
                                                    tell them not to glue anything together nor drill any holes in the
                                                    materials!

                                                    When I was a kid visiting Ripley's Believe It or Not in NYC in thier gift
                                                    shop they had a book covered in an attractive foil paper covering with a
                                                    must pick up and see title and when I picked it up I got a good electric
                                                    shock from the battery inside and the conductive nature of the foil cover.
                                                    I never forgot that and tend not to touch stuff ever since! LOL

                                                    Another time, I got a birthday card that for some strange reason was printed
                                                    and folded so the crease was on the right instead of the left. I thought it
                                                    a strange mfging error as I fumbled to open it only to find inside the
                                                    inscription "At your age even the most mudane task becomes cumbersome!".

                                                    Don Winter
                                                  • Charles Fiero
                                                    Message 25 of 27 , May 15 4:52 PM
                                                      Y'all shore know how to inspire a body to start his new Don Winter
                                                      Watermelon car kit. 'Course when I ordered it, Don tole me it was snap
                                                      together an now I won't have no glue until the terbacker gets waist
                                                      high, no how!

                                                      Bubba Charles in Nawth Carolina

                                                      > Date: Wed, 12 May 2004 14:03:04 -0000
                                                      > From: "tomyorkethebigstuff" <tomyorke@...>
                                                      >Subject: Don's new kit instructions
                                                      >
                                                      >Don has asked me to write the instructions for all of his new kit
                                                      >offerings. It was fairly easy since he wanted something generic
                                                      >for all kits. Here goes;
                                                      >
                                                      >Open box.
                                                      >Squeeze appropriate amount of glue (type of builder's choice).
                                                      >Close box tightly.
                                                      >Shake rapidly for 60 seconds.
                                                      >Open box. There's your kit!
                                                      >
                                                      >Actually, I think that would work for just about anything.
                                                      >

                                                      >Cheers,
                                                      >Tom

                                                    • Don Winter
                                                      Message 26 of 27 , May 15 6:09 PM
                                                        Thanks I think, Charles (Fiero). Of Pontiac fame I assume?

                                                        Don