Re: Treads

  • John Lambert
    Message 1 of 7 , May 4, 2006
      Tom, Would you also consider selling the track sets by themselves? As
      was mentioned in the crawler discussion a while back, tanks have
      different tread patterns. (I had not realized that before.) For
      upgrading a 1/50th crawler model, I've looked at the different tread
      sets sold for model tanks; most are in 1/35th scale and specific to a
      certain tank prototype. I would need to learn much more about tanks
      than to find a set that has about the right dimensions, even with the
      wrong tread design.

      One alternative I'm looking into is a "track and wheel set" package by
      Tamiya for their robot kits. Look here for a description:
      http://www.superdroidrobots.com/shop/item.asp?itemid=517
      These are working treads. I haven't been able to find dimensions, but
      at $9 a set I may give it a try.

      John

      Message 2 of 7 , May 4, 2006
        --- In Yorke_Kits@yahoogroups.com, "John Lambert" <hovtej@...> wrote:

        > Tom, Would you also consider selling the track sets by themselves? As
        > was mentioned in the crawler discussion a while back, tanks have
        > different tread patterns. (I had not realized that before.) For
        > upgrading a 1/50th crawler model, I've looked at the different tread
        > sets sold for model tanks; most are in 1/35th scale and specific to a
        > certain tank prototype. I would need to learn much more about tanks
        > than to find a set that has about the right dimensions, even with the
        > wrong tread design.
        >
        > One alternative I'm looking into is a "track and wheel set" package by
        > Tamiya for their robot kits. Look here for a description:
        > http://www.superdroidrobots.com/shop/item.asp?itemid=517
        > These are working treads. I haven't been able to find dimensions, but
        > at $9 a set I may give it a try.
        >
        > John

        John,
        Eventually I can sell them as a sep. set. Caution on the Tamiya set though. It say 1/4" thru
        bore on the idlers. That would seem to make the set pretty hugh. Just guessing.

      • John Lambert
        Message 3 of 7 , May 4, 2006
          Tom,

          I was actually looking at this set:
          http://www.superdroidrobots.com/shop/item.asp?itemid=409
          The tread sections are about 1/4-inch long, but 3/4-inch wide. That
          is still very large, hence my interest in finding some better tracks
          like you are proposing.

          Thanks,
          John

          --- In Yorke_Kits@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Yorke" <tomyorke@...> wrote:

          > --- In Yorke_Kits@yahoogroups.com, "John Lambert" <hovtej@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Tom, Would you also consider selling the track sets by
          themselves? As
          > > was mentioned in the crawler discussion a while back, tanks have
          > > different tread patterns. (I had not realized that before.) For
          > > upgrading a 1/50th crawler model, I've looked at the different
          tread
          > > sets sold for model tanks; most are in 1/35th scale and specific
          to a
          > > certain tank prototype. I would need to learn much more about
          tanks
          > > than to find a set that has about the right dimensions, even
          with the
          > > wrong tread design.
          > >
          > > One alternative I'm looking into is a "track and wheel set"
          package by
          > > Tamiya for their robot kits. Look here for a description:
          > > http://www.superdroidrobots.com/shop/item.asp?itemid=517
          > > These are working treads. I haven't been able to find
          dimensions, but
          > > at $9 a set I may give it a try.
          > >
          > > John
          >

          > John,
          > Eventually I can sell them as a sep. set. Caution on the Tamiya
          set though. It say 1/4" thru
          > bore on the idlers. That would seem to make the set pretty hugh.
          Just guessing.

          > Cheers,
          > Tom

        • Mike Bauers
          Message 4 of 7 , May 4, 2006
            It looks like those are the same as the powered tread set....

            http://www.superdroidrobots.com/images/TAM-023-000.jpg

            http://www.superdroidrobots.com/shop/item.asp?itemid=484

            I'm uncertain if they look 'right'.

            Here's what a real mining shovel shoe looks like.. sorry it's a small
            image...

            http://www.pyramidparts.com/images/homepage/background_15_15.jpg

            some close-ups here....

            http://www.columbiasteel.com/crawler.shoes.html

            A few linked together..

            http://www.steelcast.net/images/minning/CatLinkTrackLinkAssembly.jpg

            Another shoe...

            http://www.infomine.com/graphics/suppliers/ColumbiaSteel/crawler-
            shoe.jpg

            Best to ya'
            Mike Bauers
            Milwaukee Wi, USA

          • John Lambert
            Message 5 of 7 , May 4, 2006
              Mike, The tracks I'm trying to model are simplier for 30's-era
              crawlers like shown here:
              http://home.earthlink.net/~hovtej/images/Cat03.JPG
              They are more like linked flat plates with a flange. Anything would
              be better than the ribbed yellow rubber bands that came with the
              model. Tom's tracks would be the best solution.

              John
              Colorado Springs

              --- In Yorke_Kits@yahoogroups.com, Mike Bauers <mwbauers55@...>
              wrote:

              > It looks like those are the same as the powered tread set....
              >
              > http://www.superdroidrobots.com/images/TAM-023-000.jpg
              >
              > http://www.superdroidrobots.com/shop/item.asp?itemid=484
              >
              > I'm uncertain if they look 'right'.
              >
              > Here's what a real mining shovel shoe looks like.. sorry it's a
              small
              > image...
              >
              > http://www.pyramidparts.com/images/homepage/background_15_15.jpg
              >
              > some close-ups here....
              >
              > http://www.columbiasteel.com/crawler.shoes.html
              >
              > A few linked together..

              http://www.steelcast.net/images/minning/CatLinkTrackLinkAssembly.jpg

              > Another shoe...
              >
              > http://www.infomine.com/graphics/suppliers/ColumbiaSteel/crawler-
              > shoe.jpg
              >

              > Best to ya'
              > Mike Bauers
              > Milwaukee Wi, USA
              >

              > On May 4, 2006, at 2:00 PM, John Lambert wrote:
              >
              > > Tom,
              > >
              > > I was actually looking at this set:
              > > http://www.superdroidrobots.com/shop/item.asp?itemid=409
              > > The tread sections are about 1/4-inch long, but 3/4-inch wide.
              That
              > > is still very large, hence my interest in finding some better
              tracks
              > > like you are proposing.
              > >
              > > Thanks,
              > > John

            • Mike Bauers
              Message 6 of 7 , May 5, 2006
                Best to ya'
                Mike Bauers
                Milwaukee Wi, USA

                On May 4, 2006, at 6:57 PM, John Lambert wrote:

                > Mike, The tracks I'm trying to model are simplier for 30's-era
                > crawlers like shown here:
                > http://home.earthlink.net/~hovtej/images/Cat03.JPG
                > They are more like linked flat plates with a flange. Anything would
                > be better than the ribbed yellow rubber bands that came with the
                > model. Tom's tracks would be the best solution.

                Well, now I see.........

                I won't go near that last line since I like the guy and his ideas.

                The first thing that came to my mind after seeing your image, was the
                working tracks that some folks made for their operating HO scale R/C
                small construction shovels. They used lengths of brass bar stock for
                the feet of the shoes and something like brass channel for the link
                part of the shoes. It's a cut, shape, drill, jig and solder operation
                to make those shoes.

                I'm going to have another look at those bookmarks from my last
                computer. They're archived on this computer and I've been meaning to
                port them into this other browser.

                Perhaps a bunch of rambling thoughts over here, more than anything
                else........... My problem is I'm constantly around those current
                practice mining shovel shoes and quite used to seeing them with cast-
                in in traction lugs or 'V' patterns.

                It's likely I'm over-exposed to our million-plus pound tar-sand P&H
                mining shovels

                Best to ya'
                Mike Bauers
                Milwaukee Wi, USA