Re: painting with Acrylics

    Message 1 of 26 , Apr 1, 2006
      --- In Yorke_Kits@yahoogroups.com, "Angela Ogden" <angela@...> wrote:

      > JEM ,
      >
      > I know exactly where you are coming from .I've been having a go at one
      > of Tom's ACS 2&3 and a Berkshire Valley Boxcar/Storage Shed and have had to
      > start again on both. I , of course , didn't have the patience to practice on
      > something unimportant first . My problem was that I didn't know when to stop
      > .
      > Darryl is right , alcohol does take off acrylics , well , Tamiya ones at
      > least . I used a chemical paintstripper to take off the Floquil . It sure is
      > a pain in the neck starting again , but you know you will be happier with
      > the results second time around .
      >
      > Just remember ,I bet even Tom has a few mistakes hidden away in a
      > cupboard that he is not telling us about !
      >
      > Good Luck ,
      >
      > Nick Ogden (UK)

      Shoor ly nIck, U gest! I nevr make misteaks, !
      What you guys need is to come to one of my painting clinics. I will be doing one in Brevard
      in October and probably the O scale National in NJ this summer. If I had somebody to tape
      me, I'd be glad to do a CD or tape on painting. It really is easy to do. You do have to know
      when to stop. That takes practice. Also, your first coats are going to look awful. My
      technique requires you to "build-up" to a final finish. When you see how easy it is, you'll
      kick yourselves! Come to think of it, I'm supposed to do a clinic in Atlanta very soon and it
      will be taped. Maybe I can get a copy and use it as the instruction tape. I'll have to see.
      Until then, practice on junk castings or scrap.

      Oh yes, the photo of the Porter on the lead page of this group is all Apple Barrel acrylics
      applied 100% with a brush!

    • Hans Hammarsten
      Message 2 of 26 , Apr 1, 2006
        Hi Tom,
        would be nice to get a DVD or tape on some of yar pain--t tecnique :-)
        I think Acrylics are the best, thanks
        Cheers
        Hans H
        (at home for the week end)

        Tom Yorke <tomyorke@...> skrev: --- In Yorke_Kits@yahoogroups.com, "Angela Ogden" <angela@...> wrote:

        > JEM ,
        >
        > I know exactly where you are coming from .I've been having a go at one
        > of Tom's ACS 2&3 and a Berkshire Valley Boxcar/Storage Shed and have had to
        > start again on both. I , of course , didn't have the patience to practice on
        > something unimportant first . My problem was that I didn't know when to stop
        > .
        > Darryl is right , alcohol does take off acrylics , well , Tamiya ones at
        > least . I used a chemical paintstripper to take off the Floquil . It sure is
        > a pain in the neck starting again , but you know you will be happier with
        > the results second time around .
        >
        > Just remember ,I bet even Tom has a few mistakes hidden away in a
        > cupboard that he is not telling us about !
        >
        > Good Luck ,
        >
        > Nick Ogden (UK)

        Shoor ly nIck, U gest! I nevr make misteaks, !
        What you guys need is to come to one of my painting clinics. I will be doing one in Brevard
        in October and probably the O scale National in NJ this summer. If I had somebody to tape
        me, I'd be glad to do a CD or tape on painting. It really is easy to do. You do have to know
        when to stop. That takes practice. Also, your first coats are going to look awful. My
        technique requires you to "build-up" to a final finish. When you see how easy it is, you'll
        kick yourselves! Come to think of it, I'm supposed to do a clinic in Atlanta very soon and it
        will be taped. Maybe I can get a copy and use it as the instruction tape. I'll have to see.
        Until then, practice on junk castings or scrap.

        Oh yes, the photo of the Porter on the lead page of this group is all Apple Barrel acrylics
        applied 100% with a brush!

        Remember, additional Yorke_Kits photos and files can now be found at:

        Ho scale model train Scale model train G scale model train N scale train set G scale train Ho scale trains

      • Don Winter
        Message 3 of 26 , Apr 1, 2006
          Heck, just like my Victorian house, you want about 5 coats of thick glossy
          enamel on those models to give them the antique patina we all desire! LOL

          Don Winter
          Message 4 of 26 , Apr 1, 2006
            --- In Yorke_Kits@yahoogroups.com, Hans Hammarsten <hanshammarsten2002@...> wrote:

            > Hi Tom,
            > would be nice to get a DVD or tape on some of yar pain--t tecnique :-)
            > I think Acrylics are the best, thanks
            > Cheers
            > Hans H
            > (at home for the week end)

            Hans! How's that Outhouse comin'? How are you feelin'?

            Message 5 of 26 , Apr 1, 2006
              --- In Yorke_Kits@yahoogroups.com, "Don Winter" <donwinter@...> wrote:

              > Heck, just like my Victorian house, you want about 5 coats of thick glossy
              > enamel on those models to give them the antique patina we all desire! LOL
              >
              > Don Winter

              Don,
              Interesting you should bring that up. What most people don't know is if you are modeling the
              1890's or 1900's or so, new architecture was painted in high gloss. I don't believe I have ever
              seen that in a model before of that era (except mine). Everybody uses flat! For everything!!

              Tom
            • JEM
              Message 6 of 26 , Apr 1, 2006
                Hi Darryl,

                Does the rubbing alcohol affect the resin in any way? Also would it affect
                the super glue that I used to glue everything together with?

                Thanks for your input.

                J. Motts

                _____

                Message 7 of 26 , Apr 1, 2006
                  Hi Kevin,

                  Same question I asked Darryl about the alcohol, does it affect the resin or
                  the super glue in any way?

                  Thanks for your advice.

                  J. Motts

                  _____

                  Message 8 of 26 , Apr 1, 2006
                    Hi Nick,

                    I tried to follow Tom's suggestions very closely, in fact the results on the
                    practice pieces I did came out better than on the flat car. I'm just
                    totally disappointed with the results of the flat car. I'm willing to strip
                    it and start over again only if the alcohol or the Simple Green won't affect
                    the resin. I'd hate like the dickens to put it in to soak and pull it out a
                    few hours later only to have it come out of the goop looking all gummed up
                    or disfigured.

                    I know Tom says to build up the layers, but it seems that it will be too
                    much paint on the car and will hide his nice graining work that he did.
                    Frankly I've never really been a big fan of brush painting my models except
                    for things that are very small, maybe I'm just a heavy handed brush painter
                    and haven't learned the finer points of painting with a brush. Tom's so
                    good at it, he just makes everything look so easy.

                    Best of luck on your endeavors also, I hope you get them squared away like
                    you want them.

                    J. Motts

                    _____

                    Message 9 of 26 , Apr 1, 2006
                      Tom, if you come out with a video of your painting clinic, let me be the
                      first to get in line for one. I'd love to see it and I sincerely hope you
                      do come out with one. Great idea you have there and I'll bet it'll sell
                      like crazy.

                      J. Motts

                      _____

[...]

                      <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Ho+scale+model+train&w1=Ho+scale+model+
                      train&w2=Scale+model+train&w3=G+scale+model+train&w4=N+scale+train+set&w5=G+
                      scale+train&w6=Ho+scale+trains&c=6&s=137&.sig=R2PAjH7tprm-kKKA6V19rw> scale
                      model train

                      Scale
                      <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Scale+model+train&w1=Ho+scale+model+tra
                      in&w2=Scale+model+train&w3=G+scale+model+train&w4=N+scale+train+set&w5=G+sca
                      le+train&w6=Ho+scale+trains&c=6&s=137&.sig=TRa1yZiKSarjl4ODBBydAQ> model
                      train

                      rain&w2=Scale+model+train&w3=G+scale+model+train&w4=N+scale+train+set&w5=G+s
                      cale+train&w6=Ho+scale+trains&c=6&s=137&.sig=r_hqYSBineUYh3rQNzYzDA> scale
                      model train

                      in&w2=Scale+model+train&w3=G+scale+model+train&w4=N+scale+train+set&w5=G+sca
                      le+train&w6=Ho+scale+trains&c=6&s=137&.sig=tUbu98FMnj2bsWKefpcRUg> scale
                      train set

                      2=Scale+model+train&w3=G+scale+model+train&w4=N+scale+train+set&w5=G+scale+t
                      rain&w6=Ho+scale+trains&c=6&s=137&.sig=s1U4JPRNWRbfLhzBU3et-w> scale train

                      Ho
                      <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Ho+scale+trains&w1=Ho+scale+model+train
                      &w2=Scale+model+train&w3=G+scale+model+train&w4=N+scale+train+set&w5=G+scale
                      +train&w6=Ho+scale+trains&c=6&s=137&.sig=gyu669jhX5AvvNfGxtfIgg> scale
                      trains

                      _____

                      Message 10 of 26 , Apr 1, 2006
                        Tom ,

                        Any plans to do a World tour in the near future ?
                        What you need to do is to try and persuade Darryl Spielberg to leave his
                        Arctic hideaway and bring his film crew down to one of your shows to give
                        the tapes a professional touch .
                        Put me down for at least one copy . I'll need a spare in case I wear the
                        first one out !

                        Nick Ogden .

                        > Shoor ly nIck, U gest! I nevr make misteaks, !
                        > What you guys need is to come to one of my painting clinics. I will be
                        doing one in Brevard
                        > in October and probably the O scale National in NJ this summer. If I had
                        somebody to tape
                        > me, I'd be glad to do a CD or tape on painting. It really is easy to do.
                        You do have to know
                        > when to stop. That takes practice. Also, your first coats are going to
                        look awful. My
                        > technique requires you to "build-up" to a final finish. When you see how
                        easy it is, you'll
                        > kick yourselves! Come to think of it, I'm supposed to do a clinic in
                        Atlanta very soon and it
                        > will be taped. Maybe I can get a copy and use it as the instruction tape.
                        I'll have to see.
                        > Until then, practice on junk castings or scrap.
                        >
                        > Oh yes, the photo of the Porter on the lead page of this group is all
                        Apple Barrel acrylics
                        > applied 100% with a brush!
                        >

                        > Cheers,

                      • Hans Hammarsten
                        Message 11 of 26 , Apr 1, 2006
                          Hi Tom,
                          not much time left for modeling on that one right now, keeping the best for later when my left hand is better again.
                          Feeling fine now that I can stay at home for the week ends, it seems I have at least four week still at the hospital......
                          Good show on the 1/4" scale cars!!!
                          Cheers
                          Hans

                          Message 12 of 26 , Apr 1, 2006
                            Tom, I have around 10+ books on the subject of painting Victorian Houses.
                            Time and space doesn't permit me to comment here, but houses were generally
                            painted in 4 colors before 1900 then when needing repaint, one color almost
                            always white, with a tad of accent trim. On our house we are going back to
                            the 4 color scheme and no painting contractor wants to fool with it! LOL

                            Don
                          • Don Winter
                            Message 13 of 26 , Apr 1, 2006
                              I like to use aerosol cans of primer on cars. I use a base coat of the the
                              color I want then other colors to add weathering.

                              I find primers in various shades of grey, red and brown, and flat colors in
                              green etc. I do a lot of lamps to look like true aged bronze and using
                              acrylics with a dry bruch tehnique, going over and over I find the detail is
                              not obsucred. I think what happens to some of you guys is that you use far
                              too much paint per coat. If I want gloss then I add that as a final coat
                              rather than try to incorporate gloss into the pigmented paints.

                              Don Winter
                            • Don Winter
                              Message 14 of 26 , Apr 1, 2006
                                I have always maintained the most inportant detail on a model is the
                                painting and lettering. All the fiddly detail is lost to the eye. I
                                recently auctioned two reefers in 1:20.3 scale on eBay one painted and
                                lettered and one unpainted. Same exact cars. The unpainted brought around
                                $100 and the painted and lettered around $300! Don Winter
                              • Darryl Huffman
                                Message 15 of 26 , Apr 1, 2006
                                  J. Motts,

                                  I don't know if alcohol affects resin or ACC as I have never needed to
                                  remove the acrylics yet. I just know alcohol works on acrylics.

                                  Message 16 of 26 , Apr 1, 2006
                                    Hi J.,

                                    If the Dunkirk you have from me is still alive, that was finished
                                    entirely using Apple Barrel paints... The trick I have found with the
                                    Apple Barrel, is, unlike other artists based acrylics, the Apple Barrel
                                    paints take additional washes better when you let them entirely dry
                                    over nite... The Dunkirk started with a gray spray primer, sandstone
                                    washes, colonial gray wash, burnt umber, one more gray wash and then a
                                    dilute black wash finish...

                                    SB2
                                  • Kevin Goodrich
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Apr 1, 2006
                                      I've used it on resin with no effect. The only thing I would suggest is
                                      to not leave them too long. I'm not sure what happens if you leave it
                                      too long. Just watch them and test. They do disolve some super glues.

                                      Obviously this doesn't apply to plaster! ;)

                                      Message 18 of 26 , Apr 1, 2006
                                        > I tried to follow Tom's suggestions very closely, in fact the results on the
                                        > practice pieces I did came out better than on the flat car. I'm just
                                        > totally disappointed with the results of the flat car. I'm willing to strip
                                        > it and start over again only if the alcohol or the Simple Green won't affect
                                        > the resin. I'd hate like the dickens to put it in to soak and pull it out a
                                        > few hours later only to have it come out of the goop looking all gummed up
                                        > or disfigured.
                                        >

                                        > I know Tom says to build up the layers, but it seems that it will be too
                                        > much paint on the car and will hide his nice graining work that he did.
                                        > Frankly I've never really been a big fan of brush painting my models except
                                        > for things that are very small, maybe I'm just a heavy handed brush painter
                                        > and haven't learned the finer points of painting with a brush. Tom's so
                                        > good at it, he just makes everything look so easy.

                                        XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

                                        The layers you are building are thin washes after the initial base coat (which is not really
                                        that thick - it is also thinned paint, but not quite as much).
                                        I start with a spray can coat of gray primer. On most of my models I use a dark brown as
                                        the first coat. I thin this with enough water to make it flow, but not too much so it doesn't
                                        start to cover. It will be a little thin and will not cover completely. When dry, I add another
                                        coat but now all successive coats are a thin wash. I keep building this changing the hugh
                                        somewhat with each coat. On many models I have built up maybe more than a dozen or so
                                        layers with no detail coverup. I work dark to light, but that is only the way I like to do it.
                                        You can go from light to dark also. Whatever suits you. Brush painting is really so simple,
                                        but it is a different approuch. For example, if I am painting a figure wearing blue pants, I
                                        don't dip the brush in blue and apply the color and call it quits. No, no! Once the initial
                                        coat is applied, then many, many layers of thin washes are applied to create depth, light
                                        and shadow. Only in this way will your models come to life.

                                        When I started using resin, I didn't know what I was doing. I'd never painted resin castings
                                        before! In fact, I never painted plastic kits with a brush before. I just started and figured it
                                        out.

                                        I will see what I can do to get a CD or something done in the not so distant future

                                        Don - for your house you need to hire a painter from San Fransisco! They know mult-
                                        colors!!

                                        .
                                      • Randy Hees
                                        Message 19 of 26 , Apr 1, 2006
                                          This is a strange coincidence. I just today finished
                                          repainting/redecorating the guest parlor of our 1889 Queen Anne museum
                                          house at Ardenwood farm. The painters thought I was wacky ordering semi
                                          gloss paint, until they saw it on the walls. Until about 1910 or so,
                                          the only way to get flat wall paint was to either use milk or tempera
                                          paints, or to over thin oil based paints, commonly with gasoline.

                                          On the other hand, oil/lead paints used outside, loose their gloss in
                                          about 2 years, and start to get chalky. Passenger cars and well cared
                                          for locomotives would be varnished as often as every 6 months to
                                          maintain the gloss.

                                          Randy Hees

                                          Tom Yorke wrote:

                                          > --- In Yorke_Kits@yahoogroups.com, "Don Winter" <donwinter@...> wrote:
                                          > >
                                          > > Heck, just like my Victorian house, you want about 5 coats of thick
                                          > glossy
                                          > > enamel on those models to give them the antique patina we all
                                          > desire! LOL
                                          > >
                                          > > Don Winter
                                          > >

                                          > Don,
                                          > Interesting you should bring that up. What most people don't know is
                                          > if you are modeling the
                                          > 1890's or 1900's or so, new architecture was painted in high gloss. I
                                          > don't believe I have ever
                                          > seen that in a model before of that era (except mine). Everybody uses
                                          > flat! For everything!!
                                          >

                                          > Tom

                                        • Robert Black
                                          Message 20 of 26 , Apr 1, 2006
                                            I sure would want one....
                                            Bob Black

                                            --- JEM <trainnut@...> wrote:

                                            > Tom, if you come out with a video of your painting clinic, let
                                            > me be the
                                            > first to get in line for one. I'd love to see it and I
                                            > sincerely hope you
                                            > do come out with one. Great idea you have there and I'll bet
                                            > it'll sell
                                            > like crazy.
                                            >

                                            > J. Motts

                                            http://mail.yahoo.com
                                          • JEM
                                            Message 21 of 26 , Apr 2, 2006
                                              Hi Sam,

                                              Long time no hear, but I know you've been busy coming out with all kinds of
                                              neat stuff and a heck of a module to run them on.

                                              You bet I still have that Dunkirk, it now has DCC installed and it is still
                                              high on my list of favorites. You did a great job on it and I've had a
                                              couple of people try to talk me out of it.

                                              Thanks for the advice and tips, I didn't know it was painted this way. I
                                              guess between you and Tom and the advice from both of you as to the washes,
                                              maybe I just haven't gone far enough and I need to look at it again and try
                                              adding some more layers before I try and start over on it.

                                              Thanks again to everyone for your advice and tips and encouragement. Guess
                                              I'll just get after it some more and see how she comes out. Tom I'd still
                                              like one of your videos when you bring one out.

                                              J. Motts

                                              _____

                                              Message 22 of 26 , Apr 2, 2006
                                                --- In Yorke_Kits@yahoogroups.com, "JEM" <trainnut@...> wrote:

                                                > Hi Sam,
                                                >

                                                > Long time no hear, but I know you've been busy coming out with all kinds of
                                                > neat stuff and a heck of a module to run them on.
                                                >
                                                > You bet I still have that Dunkirk, it now has DCC installed and it is still
                                                > high on my list of favorites. You did a great job on it and I've had a
                                                > couple of people try to talk me out of it.
                                                >

                                                > Thanks for the advice and tips, I didn't know it was painted this way. I
                                                > guess between you and Tom and the advice from both of you as to the washes,
                                                > maybe I just haven't gone far enough and I need to look at it again and try
                                                > adding some more layers before I try and start over on it.
                                                >

                                                > Thanks again to everyone for your advice and tips and encouragement. Guess
                                                > I'll just get after it some more and see how she comes out. Tom I'd still
                                                > like one of your videos when you bring one out.
                                                >

                                                > J. Motts

                                                J.
                                                As I stated before, the initial "work" will look pretty bad. That may be where you are now.
                                                You shouldn't worry yet. All models at this stage will look like that. If I stopped there and
                                                posted photos of my work, you'd never look at my stuff again! It all looks like that initially.
                                                Coverage won't be perfect and it will look "flat". You have to keep going and pull it all
                                                together. Eventually it will get there. Then, the most important thing is to know when to
                                                stop.

                                                Good luck,