Re: [Yorke_Kits] Re: painting with Acrylics

  • Angela Ogden
    Message 1 of 26 , Mar 31, 2006
      JEM ,

      I know exactly where you are coming from .I've been having a go at one
      of Tom's ACS 2&3 and a Berkshire Valley Boxcar/Storage Shed and have had to
      start again on both. I , of course , didn't have the patience to practice on
      something unimportant first . My problem was that I didn't know when to stop
      .
      Darryl is right , alcohol does take off acrylics , well , Tamiya ones at
      least . I used a chemical paintstripper to take off the Floquil . It sure is
      a pain in the neck starting again , but you know you will be happier with
      the results second time around .

      Just remember ,I bet even Tom has a few mistakes hidden away in a
      cupboard that he is not telling us about !

      Good Luck ,

      Nick Ogden (UK)

      Message 2 of 26 , Apr 1, 2006
        --- In Yorke_Kits@yahoogroups.com, "Angela Ogden" <angela@...> wrote:

        > JEM ,
        >
        > I know exactly where you are coming from .I've been having a go at one
        > of Tom's ACS 2&3 and a Berkshire Valley Boxcar/Storage Shed and have had to
        > start again on both. I , of course , didn't have the patience to practice on
        > something unimportant first . My problem was that I didn't know when to stop
        > .
        > Darryl is right , alcohol does take off acrylics , well , Tamiya ones at
        > least . I used a chemical paintstripper to take off the Floquil . It sure is
        > a pain in the neck starting again , but you know you will be happier with
        > the results second time around .
        >
        > Just remember ,I bet even Tom has a few mistakes hidden away in a
        > cupboard that he is not telling us about !
        >
        > Good Luck ,
        >
        > Nick Ogden (UK)

        Shoor ly nIck, U gest! I nevr make misteaks, !
        What you guys need is to come to one of my painting clinics. I will be doing one in Brevard
        in October and probably the O scale National in NJ this summer. If I had somebody to tape
        me, I'd be glad to do a CD or tape on painting. It really is easy to do. You do have to know
        when to stop. That takes practice. Also, your first coats are going to look awful. My
        technique requires you to "build-up" to a final finish. When you see how easy it is, you'll
        kick yourselves! Come to think of it, I'm supposed to do a clinic in Atlanta very soon and it
        will be taped. Maybe I can get a copy and use it as the instruction tape. I'll have to see.
        Until then, practice on junk castings or scrap.

        Oh yes, the photo of the Porter on the lead page of this group is all Apple Barrel acrylics
        applied 100% with a brush!

      • Hans Hammarsten
        Message 3 of 26 , Apr 1, 2006
          Hi Tom,
          would be nice to get a DVD or tape on some of yar pain--t tecnique :-)
          I think Acrylics are the best, thanks
          Cheers
          Hans H
          (at home for the week end)

          Tom Yorke <tomyorke@...> skrev: --- In Yorke_Kits@yahoogroups.com, "Angela Ogden" <angela@...> wrote:

          > JEM ,
          >
          > I know exactly where you are coming from .I've been having a go at one
          > of Tom's ACS 2&3 and a Berkshire Valley Boxcar/Storage Shed and have had to
          > start again on both. I , of course , didn't have the patience to practice on
          > something unimportant first . My problem was that I didn't know when to stop
          > .
          > Darryl is right , alcohol does take off acrylics , well , Tamiya ones at
          > least . I used a chemical paintstripper to take off the Floquil . It sure is
          > a pain in the neck starting again , but you know you will be happier with
          > the results second time around .
          >
          > Just remember ,I bet even Tom has a few mistakes hidden away in a
          > cupboard that he is not telling us about !
          >
          > Good Luck ,
          >
          > Nick Ogden (UK)

          Shoor ly nIck, U gest! I nevr make misteaks, !
          What you guys need is to come to one of my painting clinics. I will be doing one in Brevard
          in October and probably the O scale National in NJ this summer. If I had somebody to tape
          me, I'd be glad to do a CD or tape on painting. It really is easy to do. You do have to know
          when to stop. That takes practice. Also, your first coats are going to look awful. My
          technique requires you to "build-up" to a final finish. When you see how easy it is, you'll
          kick yourselves! Come to think of it, I'm supposed to do a clinic in Atlanta very soon and it
          will be taped. Maybe I can get a copy and use it as the instruction tape. I'll have to see.
          Until then, practice on junk castings or scrap.

          Oh yes, the photo of the Porter on the lead page of this group is all Apple Barrel acrylics
          applied 100% with a brush!

          Remember, additional Yorke_Kits photos and files can now be found at:

          Ho scale model train Scale model train G scale model train N scale train set G scale train Ho scale trains

        • Don Winter
          Message 4 of 26 , Apr 1, 2006
            Heck, just like my Victorian house, you want about 5 coats of thick glossy
            enamel on those models to give them the antique patina we all desire! LOL

            Don Winter
            Message 5 of 26 , Apr 1, 2006
              --- In Yorke_Kits@yahoogroups.com, Hans Hammarsten <hanshammarsten2002@...> wrote:

              > Hi Tom,
              > would be nice to get a DVD or tape on some of yar pain--t tecnique :-)
              > I think Acrylics are the best, thanks
              > Cheers
              > Hans H
              > (at home for the week end)

              Hans! How's that Outhouse comin'? How are you feelin'?

              Message 6 of 26 , Apr 1, 2006
                --- In Yorke_Kits@yahoogroups.com, "Don Winter" <donwinter@...> wrote:

                > Heck, just like my Victorian house, you want about 5 coats of thick glossy
                > enamel on those models to give them the antique patina we all desire! LOL
                >
                > Don Winter

                Don,
                Interesting you should bring that up. What most people don't know is if you are modeling the
                1890's or 1900's or so, new architecture was painted in high gloss. I don't believe I have ever
                seen that in a model before of that era (except mine). Everybody uses flat! For everything!!

                Tom
              • JEM
                Message 7 of 26 , Apr 1, 2006
                  Hi Darryl,

                  Does the rubbing alcohol affect the resin in any way? Also would it affect
                  the super glue that I used to glue everything together with?

                  Thanks for your input.

                  J. Motts

                  _____

                  Message 8 of 26 , Apr 1, 2006
                    Hi Kevin,

                    Same question I asked Darryl about the alcohol, does it affect the resin or
                    the super glue in any way?

                    Thanks for your advice.

                    J. Motts

                    _____

                    Message 9 of 26 , Apr 1, 2006
                      Hi Nick,

                      I tried to follow Tom's suggestions very closely, in fact the results on the
                      practice pieces I did came out better than on the flat car. I'm just
                      totally disappointed with the results of the flat car. I'm willing to strip
                      it and start over again only if the alcohol or the Simple Green won't affect
                      the resin. I'd hate like the dickens to put it in to soak and pull it out a
                      few hours later only to have it come out of the goop looking all gummed up
                      or disfigured.

                      I know Tom says to build up the layers, but it seems that it will be too
                      much paint on the car and will hide his nice graining work that he did.
                      Frankly I've never really been a big fan of brush painting my models except
                      for things that are very small, maybe I'm just a heavy handed brush painter
                      and haven't learned the finer points of painting with a brush. Tom's so
                      good at it, he just makes everything look so easy.

                      Best of luck on your endeavors also, I hope you get them squared away like
                      you want them.

                      J. Motts

                      _____

                      Message 10 of 26 , Apr 1, 2006
                        Tom, if you come out with a video of your painting clinic, let me be the
                        first to get in line for one. I'd love to see it and I sincerely hope you
                        do come out with one. Great idea you have there and I'll bet it'll sell
                        like crazy.

                        J. Motts

                        _____

[...]

                        <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Ho+scale+model+train&w1=Ho+scale+model+
                        train&w2=Scale+model+train&w3=G+scale+model+train&w4=N+scale+train+set&w5=G+
                        scale+train&w6=Ho+scale+trains&c=6&s=137&.sig=R2PAjH7tprm-kKKA6V19rw> scale
                        model train

                        Scale
                        <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Scale+model+train&w1=Ho+scale+model+tra
                        in&w2=Scale+model+train&w3=G+scale+model+train&w4=N+scale+train+set&w5=G+sca
                        le+train&w6=Ho+scale+trains&c=6&s=137&.sig=TRa1yZiKSarjl4ODBBydAQ> model
                        train

                        rain&w2=Scale+model+train&w3=G+scale+model+train&w4=N+scale+train+set&w5=G+s
                        cale+train&w6=Ho+scale+trains&c=6&s=137&.sig=r_hqYSBineUYh3rQNzYzDA> scale
                        model train

                        in&w2=Scale+model+train&w3=G+scale+model+train&w4=N+scale+train+set&w5=G+sca
                        le+train&w6=Ho+scale+trains&c=6&s=137&.sig=tUbu98FMnj2bsWKefpcRUg> scale
                        train set

                        2=Scale+model+train&w3=G+scale+model+train&w4=N+scale+train+set&w5=G+scale+t
                        rain&w6=Ho+scale+trains&c=6&s=137&.sig=s1U4JPRNWRbfLhzBU3et-w> scale train

                        Ho
                        <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Ho+scale+trains&w1=Ho+scale+model+train
                        &w2=Scale+model+train&w3=G+scale+model+train&w4=N+scale+train+set&w5=G+scale
                        +train&w6=Ho+scale+trains&c=6&s=137&.sig=gyu669jhX5AvvNfGxtfIgg> scale
                        trains

                        _____

                        Message 11 of 26 , Apr 1, 2006
                          Tom ,

                          Any plans to do a World tour in the near future ?
                          What you need to do is to try and persuade Darryl Spielberg to leave his
                          Arctic hideaway and bring his film crew down to one of your shows to give
                          the tapes a professional touch .
                          Put me down for at least one copy . I'll need a spare in case I wear the
                          first one out !

                          Nick Ogden .

                          > Shoor ly nIck, U gest! I nevr make misteaks, !
                          > What you guys need is to come to one of my painting clinics. I will be
                          doing one in Brevard
                          > in October and probably the O scale National in NJ this summer. If I had
                          somebody to tape
                          > me, I'd be glad to do a CD or tape on painting. It really is easy to do.
                          You do have to know
                          > when to stop. That takes practice. Also, your first coats are going to
                          look awful. My
                          > technique requires you to "build-up" to a final finish. When you see how
                          easy it is, you'll
                          > kick yourselves! Come to think of it, I'm supposed to do a clinic in
                          Atlanta very soon and it
                          > will be taped. Maybe I can get a copy and use it as the instruction tape.
                          I'll have to see.
                          > Until then, practice on junk castings or scrap.
                          >
                          > Oh yes, the photo of the Porter on the lead page of this group is all
                          Apple Barrel acrylics
                          > applied 100% with a brush!
                          >

                          > Cheers,

                        • Hans Hammarsten
                          Message 12 of 26 , Apr 1, 2006
                            Hi Tom,
                            not much time left for modeling on that one right now, keeping the best for later when my left hand is better again.
                            Feeling fine now that I can stay at home for the week ends, it seems I have at least four week still at the hospital......
                            Good show on the 1/4" scale cars!!!
                            Cheers
                            Hans

                            Message 13 of 26 , Apr 1, 2006
                              Tom, I have around 10+ books on the subject of painting Victorian Houses.
                              Time and space doesn't permit me to comment here, but houses were generally
                              painted in 4 colors before 1900 then when needing repaint, one color almost
                              always white, with a tad of accent trim. On our house we are going back to
                              the 4 color scheme and no painting contractor wants to fool with it! LOL

                              Don
                            • Don Winter
                              Message 14 of 26 , Apr 1, 2006
                                I like to use aerosol cans of primer on cars. I use a base coat of the the
                                color I want then other colors to add weathering.

                                I find primers in various shades of grey, red and brown, and flat colors in
                                green etc. I do a lot of lamps to look like true aged bronze and using
                                acrylics with a dry bruch tehnique, going over and over I find the detail is
                                not obsucred. I think what happens to some of you guys is that you use far
                                too much paint per coat. If I want gloss then I add that as a final coat
                                rather than try to incorporate gloss into the pigmented paints.

                                Don Winter
                              • Don Winter
                                Message 15 of 26 , Apr 1, 2006
                                  I have always maintained the most inportant detail on a model is the
                                  painting and lettering. All the fiddly detail is lost to the eye. I
                                  recently auctioned two reefers in 1:20.3 scale on eBay one painted and
                                  lettered and one unpainted. Same exact cars. The unpainted brought around
                                  $100 and the painted and lettered around $300! Don Winter
                                • Darryl Huffman
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Apr 1, 2006
                                    J. Motts,

                                    I don't know if alcohol affects resin or ACC as I have never needed to
                                    remove the acrylics yet. I just know alcohol works on acrylics.

                                    Message 17 of 26 , Apr 1, 2006
                                      Hi J.,

                                      If the Dunkirk you have from me is still alive, that was finished
                                      entirely using Apple Barrel paints... The trick I have found with the
                                      Apple Barrel, is, unlike other artists based acrylics, the Apple Barrel
                                      paints take additional washes better when you let them entirely dry
                                      over nite... The Dunkirk started with a gray spray primer, sandstone
                                      washes, colonial gray wash, burnt umber, one more gray wash and then a
                                      dilute black wash finish...

                                      SB2
                                    • Kevin Goodrich
                                      Message 18 of 26 , Apr 1, 2006
                                        I've used it on resin with no effect. The only thing I would suggest is
                                        to not leave them too long. I'm not sure what happens if you leave it
                                        too long. Just watch them and test. They do disolve some super glues.

                                        Obviously this doesn't apply to plaster! ;)

                                        Message 19 of 26 , Apr 1, 2006
                                          > I tried to follow Tom's suggestions very closely, in fact the results on the
                                          > practice pieces I did came out better than on the flat car. I'm just
                                          > totally disappointed with the results of the flat car. I'm willing to strip
                                          > it and start over again only if the alcohol or the Simple Green won't affect
                                          > the resin. I'd hate like the dickens to put it in to soak and pull it out a
                                          > few hours later only to have it come out of the goop looking all gummed up
                                          > or disfigured.
                                          >

                                          > I know Tom says to build up the layers, but it seems that it will be too
                                          > much paint on the car and will hide his nice graining work that he did.
                                          > Frankly I've never really been a big fan of brush painting my models except
                                          > for things that are very small, maybe I'm just a heavy handed brush painter
                                          > and haven't learned the finer points of painting with a brush. Tom's so
                                          > good at it, he just makes everything look so easy.

                                          XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

                                          The layers you are building are thin washes after the initial base coat (which is not really
                                          that thick - it is also thinned paint, but not quite as much).
                                          I start with a spray can coat of gray primer. On most of my models I use a dark brown as
                                          the first coat. I thin this with enough water to make it flow, but not too much so it doesn't
                                          start to cover. It will be a little thin and will not cover completely. When dry, I add another
                                          coat but now all successive coats are a thin wash. I keep building this changing the hugh
                                          somewhat with each coat. On many models I have built up maybe more than a dozen or so
                                          layers with no detail coverup. I work dark to light, but that is only the way I like to do it.
                                          You can go from light to dark also. Whatever suits you. Brush painting is really so simple,
                                          but it is a different approuch. For example, if I am painting a figure wearing blue pants, I
                                          don't dip the brush in blue and apply the color and call it quits. No, no! Once the initial
                                          coat is applied, then many, many layers of thin washes are applied to create depth, light
                                          and shadow. Only in this way will your models come to life.

                                          When I started using resin, I didn't know what I was doing. I'd never painted resin castings
                                          before! In fact, I never painted plastic kits with a brush before. I just started and figured it
                                          out.

                                          I will see what I can do to get a CD or something done in the not so distant future

                                          Don - for your house you need to hire a painter from San Fransisco! They know mult-
                                          colors!!

                                          .
                                        • Randy Hees
                                          Message 20 of 26 , Apr 1, 2006
                                            This is a strange coincidence. I just today finished
                                            repainting/redecorating the guest parlor of our 1889 Queen Anne museum
                                            house at Ardenwood farm. The painters thought I was wacky ordering semi
                                            gloss paint, until they saw it on the walls. Until about 1910 or so,
                                            the only way to get flat wall paint was to either use milk or tempera
                                            paints, or to over thin oil based paints, commonly with gasoline.

                                            On the other hand, oil/lead paints used outside, loose their gloss in
                                            about 2 years, and start to get chalky. Passenger cars and well cared
                                            for locomotives would be varnished as often as every 6 months to
                                            maintain the gloss.

                                            Randy Hees

                                            Tom Yorke wrote:

                                            > --- In Yorke_Kits@yahoogroups.com, "Don Winter" <donwinter@...> wrote:
                                            > >
                                            > > Heck, just like my Victorian house, you want about 5 coats of thick
                                            > glossy
                                            > > enamel on those models to give them the antique patina we all
                                            > desire! LOL
                                            > >
                                            > > Don Winter
                                            > >

                                            > Don,
                                            > Interesting you should bring that up. What most people don't know is
                                            > if you are modeling the
                                            > 1890's or 1900's or so, new architecture was painted in high gloss. I
                                            > don't believe I have ever
                                            > seen that in a model before of that era (except mine). Everybody uses
                                            > flat! For everything!!
                                            >

                                            > Tom

                                          • Robert Black
                                            Message 21 of 26 , Apr 1, 2006
                                              I sure would want one....
                                              Bob Black

                                              --- JEM <trainnut@...> wrote:

                                              > Tom, if you come out with a video of your painting clinic, let
                                              > me be the
                                              > first to get in line for one. I'd love to see it and I
                                              > sincerely hope you
                                              > do come out with one. Great idea you have there and I'll bet
                                              > it'll sell
                                              > like crazy.
                                              >

                                              > J. Motts

                                              http://mail.yahoo.com
                                            • JEM
                                              Message 22 of 26 , Apr 2, 2006
                                                Hi Sam,

                                                Long time no hear, but I know you've been busy coming out with all kinds of
                                                neat stuff and a heck of a module to run them on.

                                                You bet I still have that Dunkirk, it now has DCC installed and it is still
                                                high on my list of favorites. You did a great job on it and I've had a
                                                couple of people try to talk me out of it.

                                                Thanks for the advice and tips, I didn't know it was painted this way. I
                                                guess between you and Tom and the advice from both of you as to the washes,
                                                maybe I just haven't gone far enough and I need to look at it again and try
                                                adding some more layers before I try and start over on it.

                                                Thanks again to everyone for your advice and tips and encouragement. Guess
                                                I'll just get after it some more and see how she comes out. Tom I'd still
                                                like one of your videos when you bring one out.

                                                J. Motts

                                                _____

                                                Message 23 of 26 , Apr 2, 2006
                                                  --- In Yorke_Kits@yahoogroups.com, "JEM" <trainnut@...> wrote:

                                                  > Hi Sam,
                                                  >

                                                  > Long time no hear, but I know you've been busy coming out with all kinds of
                                                  > neat stuff and a heck of a module to run them on.
                                                  >
                                                  > You bet I still have that Dunkirk, it now has DCC installed and it is still
                                                  > high on my list of favorites. You did a great job on it and I've had a
                                                  > couple of people try to talk me out of it.
                                                  >

                                                  > Thanks for the advice and tips, I didn't know it was painted this way. I
                                                  > guess between you and Tom and the advice from both of you as to the washes,
                                                  > maybe I just haven't gone far enough and I need to look at it again and try
                                                  > adding some more layers before I try and start over on it.
                                                  >

                                                  > Thanks again to everyone for your advice and tips and encouragement. Guess
                                                  > I'll just get after it some more and see how she comes out. Tom I'd still
                                                  > like one of your videos when you bring one out.
                                                  >

                                                  > J. Motts

                                                  J.
                                                  As I stated before, the initial "work" will look pretty bad. That may be where you are now.
                                                  You shouldn't worry yet. All models at this stage will look like that. If I stopped there and
                                                  posted photos of my work, you'd never look at my stuff again! It all looks like that initially.
                                                  Coverage won't be perfect and it will look "flat". You have to keep going and pull it all
                                                  together. Eventually it will get there. Then, the most important thing is to know when to
                                                  stop.

                                                  Good luck,