Weathering track

  • daver37167
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 4, 2006
      Does anyone have any tips as to when to weather track? Before laying
      it? After laying it,but before ballasting it? And what paints seem to
      work best? Lastly, any articles on anyones websites that might deal
      with this subject? Thanks,Dave
    • Evan & Correne James
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 4, 2006
        What I did was found a piece of real track that I liked the colour of -
        it just so happened that I back onto a railway line - and went with
        paint charts from various paint manufacturers. Then it was just a
        matter of matching the colour of the track to the paint charts until I
        found a match. It was a locally made product called Resene Cafe Royale,
        a house paint. After satisfying myself that it was in fact what I
        wanted through using test pots, I bought a 1 litre tin of matt acrylic
        and way I went.
        I cover everything with the stuff, because if you look at the real
        thing you will find that not only the rails are brown, but also the
        fastenings and the sleepers as well, especially in a station or hill
        environment where everything is coated in brake dust. If you don't like
        the look of the sleepers, just wipe them clean when you do the rail
        head - like immediately afterwards That is done before ballasting
        starts. If you don't want to go to that trouble, I have found that
        Floquil Rail brown is also pretty close. As before, cover the rails and
        fastenings, making sure you wipe the rail head immediately. Don't
        bother with the sleepers though, it could prove to be a bit expensive

        evan

        On Jan 5, 2006, at 11:08 AM, daver37167 wrote:

        > Does anyone have any tips as to when to weather track? Before laying
        > it? After laying it,but before ballasting it? And what paints seem to
        > work best? Lastly, any articles on anyones websites that might deal
        > with this subject? Thanks,Dave

      • Dave Reed
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 4, 2006
          Evan, Thanks for the tips.!! I guess you did it after it was laid?? Dave

          Evan & Correne James <bce@...> wrote: What I did was found a piece of real track that I liked the colour of -
          it just so happened that I back onto a railway line - and went with
          paint charts from various paint manufacturers. Then it was just a
          matter of matching the colour of the track to the paint charts until I
          found a match. It was a locally made product called Resene Cafe Royale,
          a house paint. After satisfying myself that it was in fact what I
          wanted through using test pots, I bought a 1 litre tin of matt acrylic
          and way I went.
          I cover everything with the stuff, because if you look at the real
          thing you will find that not only the rails are brown, but also the
          fastenings and the sleepers as well, especially in a station or hill
          environment where everything is coated in brake dust. If you don't like
          the look of the sleepers, just wipe them clean when you do the rail
          head - like immediately afterwards That is done before ballasting
          starts. If you don't want to go to that trouble, I have found that
          Floquil Rail brown is also pretty close. As before, cover the rails and
          fastenings, making sure you wipe the rail head immediately. Don't
          bother with the sleepers though, it could prove to be a bit expensive

          evan

          On Jan 5, 2006, at 11:08 AM, daver37167 wrote:

          > Does anyone have any tips as to when to weather track? Before laying
          > it? After laying it,but before ballasting it? And what paints seem to
          > work best? Lastly, any articles on anyones websites that might deal
          > with this subject? Thanks,Dave

          Remember, additional Yorke_Kits photos and files can now be found at:

          G scale model train Scale model train Ho scale trains Ho scale model train N scale train set G scale train

          ---------------------------------

        • Evan & Correne James
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 5, 2006
            Yep

            evan

            On Jan 5, 2006, at 4:18 PM, Dave Reed wrote:

            > Evan, Thanks for the tips.!! I guess you did it after it was laid??
            > Dave
            >
            > Evan & Correne James <bce@...> wrote: What I did was found a
            > piece of real track that I liked the colour of -
            > it just so happened that I back onto a railway line - and went with
            > paint charts from various paint manufacturers. Then it was just a
            > matter of matching the colour of the track to the paint charts until I
            > found a match. It was a locally made product called Resene Cafe Royale,
            > a house paint. After satisfying myself that it was in fact what I
            > wanted through using test pots, I bought a 1 litre tin of matt acrylic
            > and way I went.
            > I cover everything with the stuff, because if you look at the real
            > thing you will find that not only the rails are brown, but also the
            > fastenings and the sleepers as well, especially in a station or hill
            > environment where everything is coated in brake dust. If you don't like
            > the look of the sleepers, just wipe them clean when you do the rail
            > head - like immediately afterwards That is done before ballasting
            > starts. If you don't want to go to that trouble, I have found that
            > Floquil Rail brown is also pretty close. As before, cover the rails and
            > fastenings, making sure you wipe the rail head immediately. Don't
            > bother with the sleepers though, it could prove to be a bit expensive
            >
            > evan
            >

            > On Jan 5, 2006, at 11:08 AM, daver37167 wrote:
            >
            >> Does anyone have any tips as to when to weather track? Before laying
            >> it? After laying it,but before ballasting it? And what paints seem to
            >> work best? Lastly, any articles on anyones websites that might deal
            >> with this subject? Thanks,Dave
            >>

            >> Remember, additional Yorke_Kits photos and files can now be found at:

            >> Yahoo! Groups Links

            > G scale model train Scale model train Ho scale trains
            > Ho scale model train N scale train set G scale train

            > Service.
            >

            > ---------------------------------

          • Lionel Gazeau
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 5, 2006
              --- In Yorke_Kits@yahoogroups.com, "daver37167" <daver37167@y...> wrote:

              > Does anyone have any tips as to when to weather track? Before laying
              > it? After laying it,but before ballasting it? And what paints seem to
              > work best? Lastly, any articles on anyones websites that might deal
              > with this subject? Thanks,Dave

              Dave, here's another method I've used. I get three cans of spray
              paint, brown, black and gray.

              I go outside and lay a piece of flex track down on any surface I don't
              mind being painted. First I spray it from directly above with grey
              then with the black, more in the middle of the track than outside.
              When dry I use the brown paint and spray at a very low angle, almost
              fla, so only the sides of the rails get painted. It doesn't matter if
              some of the ties get some rust.

              Scrape off the rail heads, do a little weathering of individual ties
              and there you are, an easy way to paint a lot of track.

              Lionel
            • Dave Reed
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 5, 2006
                That sounds neat! I will try that one out when the weather gets warm. Thanks, Dave

                Lionel Gazeau <lionels_trains@...> wrote: --- In Yorke_Kits@yahoogroups.com, "daver37167" <daver37167@y...> wrote:

                > Does anyone have any tips as to when to weather track? Before laying
                > it? After laying it,but before ballasting it? And what paints seem to
                > work best? Lastly, any articles on anyones websites that might deal
                > with this subject? Thanks,Dave

                Dave, here's another method I've used. I get three cans of spray
                paint, brown, black and gray.

                I go outside and lay a piece of flex track down on any surface I don't
                mind being painted. First I spray it from directly above with grey
                then with the black, more in the middle of the track than outside.
                When dry I use the brown paint and spray at a very low angle, almost
                fla, so only the sides of the rails get painted. It doesn't matter if
                some of the ties get some rust.

                Scrape off the rail heads, do a little weathering of individual ties
                and there you are, an easy way to paint a lot of track.

                Lionel

                Remember, additional Yorke_Kits photos and files can now be found at:

                G scale train Ho scale trains N scale train set G scale model train Z scale model train Scale model train