Re: [Yorke_Kits] Resin Warpage

  • Kevin Goodrich
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 5, 2005
      After the hot water, I've found that weighting it down with something
      flat helps keep it that way while it cools. Kind of stretches things to
      stay in place.

      Kevin

      Kevin Goodrich
      Figures 'n Bits.com
      http://www.figuresnbits.com/
      The Place for O Scale Figures and Details

      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 5, 2005
        --- In Yorke_Kits@yahoogroups.com, "WALTER GAY" <waltrail@a...> wrote:

        > Tom,
        >
        > You are a resin master so you know doubt can answer this!<G> I have
        > afloor for a resin On30 boxcar that has a twist in it. I put it in hot water
        > and got it back straight, but a few minutes later it looks like the warp is
        > comong back! Any ideas?
        >
        > Walt

        Walt,
        I wouldn't call myself a master, just a student and still learning. I think Kevin is
        right though. After the hot water treatment, weights.

        Tom
      • Dave Reed
        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 5, 2005
          Sometimes, the weight can distort the part in places....Dip it in hot water-I bring mine to an almost boil- dip it. When it starts to wobble a bit(like a noodle)- take it -lay it flat- hold it in place with a couple fingers- say"Owww, hot...darn...hot....ohhhh" and pour some cold water over it...sets it immediately!! Don't like the results- do it again. Resin has a quasi- memory and wants to return to where it started-you just need to "coax" it to stay there. Doing this several times.....and beginning to enjoy the pain.....takes this column to a place we don't need to go.... :-) Dave

          Kevin Goodrich <kevinlg@...> wrote:After the hot water, I've found that weighting it down with something

          WALTER GAY wrote:
          > Tom,
          >
          > You are a resin master so you know doubt can answer this!<G> I have
          > afloor for a resin On30 boxcar that has a twist in it. I put it in hot water
          > and got it back straight, but a few minutes later it looks like the warp is
          > comong back! Any ideas?
          >
          > Walt

          Remember, additional Yorke_Kits photos and files can now be found at:

          Z scale model train

          ---------------------------------

        • Lionel Gazeau
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 6, 2005
            with a couple fingers- say"Owww, hot...darn...hot....ohhhh" and pour
            some cold water over it...sets it immediately!!

            Hey Dave, y're not s'posed to reach in there with your fingers !!! :>)

            Lionel
          • Walt Gay
            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 6, 2005
              Tom,

              Thanks, Kevin too! I have heated weighted and gotten the part straight.
              Next day the warp is back. I'll have to do it several times I guess, like
              Kevin suggested.

              Walt

                Message 7 of 9 , Nov 7, 2005
                  Walt,
                  If how water does not work, a Teflon frying pan at a VERY LOW heat will
                  loosen up the material's memory and allow it to relax. And then find some
                  weights or bricks to hold it flat until it cools off.

                  FYI You cannot use the frying pan for cooking after doing this so find a
                  used pan at a yard sale.

                  Best Regards,

                  Richard E. Bendever, Editor
                  DEBEN LLC
                  910 Millvale Place, P. O. Box 465898, Lawrenceville, GA 30042-5898
                  www.DEBENLLC.com -- www.ModelingGuide.com -- www.FineScaleMiniatures.Biz --
                  www.DoctorBens.Biz -- www.DrBens.Com --
                  =======================================
                  *NEW* Order /FAX Line: 770.979.5069

                  Date: Sat, 05 Nov 2005 10:03:24 -0600
                  From: Kevin Goodrich <kevinlg@...>
                  Subject: Re: Resin Warpage

                  WALTER GAY wrote:
                  > Tom,
                  >
                  > You are a resin master so you know doubt can answer this!<G> I have
                  > afloor for a resin On30 boxcar that has a twist in it. I put it in hot
                  water
                  > and got it back straight, but a few minutes later it looks like the warp
                  is
                  > comong back! Any ideas?
                  >
                  > Walt

                  Message: 4
                  Date: Sat, 05 Nov 2005 22:15:23 -0000
                  From: "Tom Yorke" <tomyorke@...>

                  --- In Yorke_Kits@yahoogroups.com, "WALTER GAY" <waltrail@a...> wrote:

                  > Tom,
                  >
                  > You are a resin master so you know doubt can answer this!<G> I have
                  > afloor for a resin On30 boxcar that has a twist in it. I put it in hot
                  water
                  > and got it back straight, but a few minutes later it looks like the warp
                  is
                  > comong back! Any ideas?
                  >
                  > Walt

                  Walt,
                  I wouldn't call myself a master, just a student and still learning. I think
                  Kevin is
                  right though. After the hot water treatment, weights.

                  Message: 5
                  Date: Sat, 5 Nov 2005 17:36:05 -0800 (PST)
                  From: Dave Reed <daver37167@...>

                    Date: Sat, 05 Nov 2005 10:03:24 -0600
                    From: Kevin Goodrich <kevinlg@...>

                    WALTER GAY wrote:
                    > Tom,
                    >
                    > You are a resin master so you know doubt can answer this!<G> I have
                    > afloor for a resin On30 boxcar that has a twist in it. I put it in hot
                    water
                    > and got it back straight, but a few minutes later it looks like the warp
                    is
                    > comong back! Any ideas?
                    >
                    > Walt

                    Message: 4