Resin Warpage

  • WALTER GAY
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 5, 2005

      You are a resin master so you know doubt can answer this!<G> I have
      afloor for a resin On30 boxcar that has a twist in it. I put it in hot water
      and got it back straight, but a few minutes later it looks like the warp is
      comong back! Any ideas?

      Walt
    • Kevin Goodrich
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 5, 2005
        After the hot water, I've found that weighting it down with something
        flat helps keep it that way while it cools. Kind of stretches things to
        stay in place.

        Kevin

        Kevin Goodrich
        Figures 'n Bits.com
        http://www.figuresnbits.com/
        The Place for O Scale Figures and Details

        Message 3 of 9 , Nov 5, 2005
          --- In Yorke_Kits@yahoogroups.com, "WALTER GAY" <waltrail@a...> wrote:

          > Tom,
          >
          > You are a resin master so you know doubt can answer this!<G> I have
          > afloor for a resin On30 boxcar that has a twist in it. I put it in hot water
          > and got it back straight, but a few minutes later it looks like the warp is
          > comong back! Any ideas?
          >
          > Walt

          Walt,
          I wouldn't call myself a master, just a student and still learning. I think Kevin is
          right though. After the hot water treatment, weights.

          Tom
        • Dave Reed
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 5, 2005
            Sometimes, the weight can distort the part in places....Dip it in hot water-I bring mine to an almost boil- dip it. When it starts to wobble a bit(like a noodle)- take it -lay it flat- hold it in place with a couple fingers- say"Owww, hot...darn...hot....ohhhh" and pour some cold water over it...sets it immediately!! Don't like the results- do it again. Resin has a quasi- memory and wants to return to where it started-you just need to "coax" it to stay there. Doing this several times.....and beginning to enjoy the pain.....takes this column to a place we don't need to go.... :-) Dave

            Kevin Goodrich <kevinlg@...> wrote:After the hot water, I've found that weighting it down with something

            WALTER GAY wrote:
            > Tom,
            >
            > You are a resin master so you know doubt can answer this!<G> I have
            > afloor for a resin On30 boxcar that has a twist in it. I put it in hot water
            > and got it back straight, but a few minutes later it looks like the warp is
            > comong back! Any ideas?
            >
            > Walt

            Remember, additional Yorke_Kits photos and files can now be found at:

            Z scale model train

            ---------------------------------

          • Lionel Gazeau
            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 6, 2005
              with a couple fingers- say"Owww, hot...darn...hot....ohhhh" and pour
              some cold water over it...sets it immediately!!

              Hey Dave, y're not s'posed to reach in there with your fingers !!! :>)

              Lionel
            • Walt Gay
              Message 6 of 9 , Nov 6, 2005

                Thanks, Kevin too! I have heated weighted and gotten the part straight.
                Next day the warp is back. I'll have to do it several times I guess, like
                Kevin suggested.

                Walt

                  Message 8 of 9 , Nov 7, 2005
                    Walt,
                    If how water does not work, a Teflon frying pan at a VERY LOW heat will
                    loosen up the material's memory and allow it to relax. And then find some
                    weights or bricks to hold it flat until it cools off.

                    FYI You cannot use the frying pan for cooking after doing this so find a
                    used pan at a yard sale.

                    Best Regards,

                    Richard E. Bendever, Editor
                    DEBEN LLC
                    910 Millvale Place, P. O. Box 465898, Lawrenceville, GA 30042-5898
                    www.DEBENLLC.com -- www.ModelingGuide.com -- www.FineScaleMiniatures.Biz --
                    www.DoctorBens.Biz -- www.DrBens.Com --
                    =======================================
                    *NEW* Order /FAX Line: 770.979.5069

                    Date: Sat, 05 Nov 2005 10:03:24 -0600
                    From: Kevin Goodrich <kevinlg@...>
                    Subject: Re: Resin Warpage

                    WALTER GAY wrote:
                    > Tom,
                    >
                    > You are a resin master so you know doubt can answer this!<G> I have
                    > afloor for a resin On30 boxcar that has a twist in it. I put it in hot
                    water
                    > and got it back straight, but a few minutes later it looks like the warp
                    is
                    > comong back! Any ideas?
                    >
                    > Walt

                    Message: 4
                    Date: Sat, 05 Nov 2005 22:15:23 -0000
                    From: "Tom Yorke" <tomyorke@...>

                    --- In Yorke_Kits@yahoogroups.com, "WALTER GAY" <waltrail@a...> wrote:

                    > Tom,
                    >
                    > You are a resin master so you know doubt can answer this!<G> I have
                    > afloor for a resin On30 boxcar that has a twist in it. I put it in hot
                    water
                    > and got it back straight, but a few minutes later it looks like the warp
                    is
                    > comong back! Any ideas?
                    >
                    > Walt

                    Walt,
                    I wouldn't call myself a master, just a student and still learning. I think
                    Kevin is
                    right though. After the hot water treatment, weights.

                    Message: 5
                    Date: Sat, 5 Nov 2005 17:36:05 -0800 (PST)
                    From: Dave Reed <daver37167@...>

                      Date: Sat, 05 Nov 2005 10:03:24 -0600
                      From: Kevin Goodrich <kevinlg@...>

                      WALTER GAY wrote:
                      > Tom,
                      >
                      > You are a resin master so you know doubt can answer this!<G> I have
                      > afloor for a resin On30 boxcar that has a twist in it. I put it in hot
                      water
                      > and got it back straight, but a few minutes later it looks like the warp
                      is
                      > comong back! Any ideas?
                      >
                      > Walt

                      Message: 4