RE: [Yorke_Kits] Digest Number 526

  • JEM
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 6, 2005
      Hi Tom,

      Thanks for the reply and suggestions. I kind of thought that white glue was
      the best to use and I went out and purchased some and have re-glued the
      castings with great success.

      On another note, I would like to wish you the best of luck on your upcoming
      operation and wish you a very speedy recovery. However, don't rush it or
      you'll end up taking longer to recover fully than you'd like to.

      Thanks again,

      J. Motts

      Message: 6
      Date: Mon, 05 Sep 2005 15:42:57 -0000
      From: "Tom Yorke" <tomyorke@...>
      Subject: Re: Best Glue for castings

      --- In Yorke_Kits@yahoogroups.com, "JEM" <trainnut@e...> wrote:
      > Morning Guys,
      >

      > A question for the group and Tom, I have 2 plaster castings that somehow
      > managed to get broken. The good news is that the castings have clean
      breaks
      > and can easily be glued together. My question is, what is the best glue
      > use to put them back together. I'm thinking that maybe white glue would
      be
      > a good candidate but it's been so long since I worked on a plaster casting
      > that I don't really remember.
      >

      > Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks and have a safe holiday.
      >

      > J. Motts
      >
      > El Paso, TX

      It may depend upon the casting type or size, but normally, white glue is
      just
      fine. Epoxy will also work, but white glue is the best, easiest thing to
      use. If it is
      a structural joint - one that will have stress applied to it - back up the
      joint with
      a piece of thin card to cover the joint and give extra strength.

      Tom
    • Lionel Gazeau
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 6, 2005
        --- In Yorke_Kits@yahoogroups.com, "JEM" <trainnut@e...> wrote:
        > Hi Tom,
        >
        > Thanks for the reply and suggestions. I kind of thought that white
        glue was
        > the best to use and I went out and purchased some and have re-glued the
        > castings with great success.

        I find that diluting the glue with a bit of soapy water will cause the
        glue to bond better by seeping into the plaster. Michael's warning
        about not getting any on the face is even more appropriate, you might
        consider painting the plaster with a light wash of whatever color so
        that if you do get some glue on the plaster it won't show bright
        white. Gluing something on the back is also a good idea, when
        impossible i have been able to insert brass pins inside the plaster
        but that is tricky.

        > On another note, I would like to wish you the best of luck on your
        upcoming
        > operation and wish you a very speedy recovery. However, don't rush
        it or
        > you'll end up taking longer to recover fully than you'd like to.

        Ditto.

        > Thanks again,
        >
        > J. Motts

        Lionel