RE: [Yorke_Kits] Re: Divco Milk Trucks

  • Robert Black
    Message 1 of 23 , Sep 3, 2005
      Hi Clark,

      I'll be looking into those real quick.

      Thankx again
      Bob

      --- Clark Womack <clarkw@...> wrote:

      > The Road Champs Divco trucks are 1:43.
      > The Road Champs '50 Divco Truck "Diaper Service" trucks are a
      > good deal
      > right now at 2 for $7.99.
      > Clark Womack

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Robert Black
      Message 2 of 23 , Sep 8, 2005
        Hi Group,

        I got my trucks today from Die-Cast direct and they are great.
        I'll have to redo them but they are great little models.

        Thankx again to all of you that replied to my email.
        Bob Black

      • Elist
        Message 3 of 23 , Sep 9, 2005
          >I got my trucks today from Die-Cast direct and they are great.
          >I'll have to redo them but they are great little models.
          >
          >Thankx again to all of you that replied to my email.
          >Bob Black

          I also received mine yesterday. I bought 3 (buy 2 at $7.99 and get
          one free) of the "DIAPER SERVICE" trucks. Will keep one in that paint
          and rework the others. Great value and a truck you almost never see
          on any layout.

          Regards,

          Dan

          "The human brain is like a railroad freight car -- guaranteed to have
          a certain capacity but often running empty."
        • Robert Black
          Message 4 of 23 , Sep 9, 2005
            Hi Dan,
            Hay you got the same idea I had. Keep one and redo the other 2,
            one in Bordon's and the other in a auto parts or maybe something
            for my On30's Beaver Creek Railroad.
            They are sweet, I like the door latch detail on the back doors
            and the interior is nice. I just wish I could get those side
            doors opened, oh well.
            Enjoy
            Bob Black

            --- Elist <elist@...> wrote:

            > >I got my trucks today from Die-Cast direct and they are
            > great.
            > >I'll have to redo them but they are great little models.
            > >
            > >Thankx again to all of you that replied to my email.
            > >Bob Black
            >

            > I also received mine yesterday. I bought 3 (buy 2 at $7.99 and
            > get
            > one free) of the "DIAPER SERVICE" trucks. Will keep one in
            > that paint
            > and rework the others. Great value and a truck you almost
            > never see
            > on any layout.
            >
            > Regards,
            >
            > Dan
            >
            > "The human brain is like a railroad freight car -- guaranteed
            > to have
            > a certain capacity but often running empty."

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • Don Miller
            Message 5 of 23 , Sep 9, 2005
              Heres mine!

              http://home.gci.net/~dnvmiller/DHM-022.jpg

              Don Miller
              Anchorage AK
            • Robert Black
              Message 6 of 23 , Sep 9, 2005
                Hi Don,

                Yep that's the one that did it for me. I had to have some after
                I saw this pic the other day when you posted it. Where did you
                get the decals for this version?

                Thankx for posting it again
                Bob

                --- Don Miller <dnvmiller@...> wrote:

                > Heres mine!
                >
                > http://home.gci.net/~dnvmiller/DHM-022.jpg
                >
                > Don Miller
                > Anchorage AK

                http://mail.yahoo.com
              • Walt Gay
                Message 7 of 23 , Sep 9, 2005
                  Don,

                  Real nice work!

                  Walt
                  Message 8 of 23 , Sep 9, 2005
                    I made the decals...Creamers Dairy was the dairy in Fairbanks,
                    Alaska...I found some photos of one of their trucks on the net and
                    made the logo...the name (MS word art...I forget what font I used),
                    the cow (from an on-line clip art site) and the slogan...its close to
                    the actual logo but not exact...I used MS publisher to put it together

                    My truck was "undercorated"...it was the color of the top half...I
                    painted, with a spray can, the hood and lower parts flat red.

                    I did a few test prints of the decal..on typing paper before I used my
                    decal paper...when I got the size right, I printed it with my photo
                    printer on Micro-Mark decal paper..they make paper for injet
                    printers..I sealed the decal with some gloss acrylic spary..

                    A homemade decal is much thicker than a commerical decal, particularly
                    after the fixative...I found it looked beter if I cut the decal so the
                    film covered the entire upper panel.....this is opposite of the
                    convertional wisdom of cutting the decal to minimize the amount of
                    film around the printing...

                    I painted the interior but it doesnt show..mine also came with milk
                    crates which I painted and scracthed to simlutate a wooden crate

                    After the decal dried, I sprayed the truck with a clear flat spray...a
                    Krylon acrylic clear flat ..I painted the various details...wheels,
                    latches, lites, etc...put a license plate on the back. I weathered it
                    with a little thinned tan, gray and black acrylic paint in alcohol,
                    and put it to work delivering milk to the miners in Ester and Olnes

                    I uploaded three close ups of the truck to files section of the Yorke
                    pics group in folder DHM-1..these show the details a little
                    better...and as photos sometimes do, show a few errors too...
                  • Robert Black
                    Message 9 of 23 , Sep 9, 2005
                      Hi Don,

                      Very nice job on everything. I really like the way it turned
                      out. I also like the 41 Plymouth. I have 4 of those, I have not
                      decided what I'm going to do with them yet. I'm getting some
                      great ideas from all of you guys in this group.

                      Thankx for sharing
                      Bob Black

                      --- Don Miller <dnvmiller@...> wrote:

                      > I made the decals...Creamers Dairy was the dairy in Fairbanks,
                      > Alaska...

                    • Elist
                      Message 10 of 23 , Sep 10, 2005
                        At 11:34 PM 9/9/2005, you wrote:

                        >I made the decals...Creamers Dairy was the dairy in Fairbanks,
                        >Alaska...I found some photos of one of their trucks on the net and
                        >made the logo...

                        Fantastic job of this and your other truck.

                        What have you, and others, used to remove the lettering that is on
                        diecast cars / trucks?

                        Can the paint be removed or is it easier to just shoot over the original?

                        What about weathering? Dulcoat first and then weather with another
                        shot of Dulcoat?

                        Message 11 of 23 , Sep 10, 2005
                          I tried stripping one..acetone and paint thinner and anything
                          else...what a mess...in that case I had gotten a "too thick" coat on
                          the vehicle and it had to be stripped...Im sure the EPA drew a bead on
                          me after that one....but I think if one is careful, just shooting over
                          any lettering would do, unless youre set up for industrial strength
                          paint removal...maybe a primer under ones final color...or using a
                          stripper to try any remove the lettering only...since alot of die cast
                          stuff is geared towards kids, the finishes are pretty tough...

                          I usually shoot a flat over any decals...then apply my acrylic/rubbing
                          alcohol washes over that...one thing tho..Dullcote reacts with
                          alcohol...gets a white "frost"....elsewhere people have described
                          using that reaction to create certain weathering effects.... but for
                          me its a PITA when it occurrs...so I usually use a flat acrylic
                          spray...Krylon or craft store stuff...which does not react with
                          alcohol....the acrylic/alcohol washes are dead flat so usually no
                          final overspay is needed...if I dont use decals, I may not use any
                          overspray at all...particulalrly if the vehicle is painted with flat
                          finish to begin with...

                          I like a flat or semi flat finish even on things that might be glossy
                          in the real world...like vehicle finishes...to my eye, gloss is too
                          glossy even in O scale...you can polish them up a but with a light
                          overspary of a "semi" gloss if need be...

                          Don Miller
                          Anchorage Ak
                        • Elist
                          Message 12 of 23 , Sep 10, 2005
                            At 12:43 PM 9/10/2005, you wrote:

                            >I tried stripping one..acetone and paint thinner and anything
                            >else...what a mess...

                            Thanks for the tips Don. Me thinks it's time I got to work on these.