Plaster kits, comment and question

  • John L. Adams
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 1, 2005
      Tom and group at large;

      I have been working on my "Bad Order Boxcar" kit, the new coloring
      technique is amazing, I'll try to figure out this digital pix thing
      and share some this weekend.

      I'm satisfied with my basic paint job and am now getting ready to
      assemble. A couple of questions.

      (1) Am planning to use yellow wood glue for the castings but can use
      white if it is prefered.
      (2) What is the best glue to attach the wood trim to the painted part
      of the castings? I have ACC, Duco, Tacky, wood glue, Gorilla and
      probably others.
      (3) Styrene to the castings?

      Thanks in advance.

      John Adams, aka quincy
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 1, 2005
        --- In Yorke_Kits@yahoogroups.com, "John L. Adams" <quincy@g...> wrote:
        > Tom and group at large;
        >
        > I have been working on my "Bad Order Boxcar" kit, the new coloring
        > technique is amazing, I'll try to figure out this digital pix thing
        > and share some this weekend.
        >
        > I'm satisfied with my basic paint job and am now getting ready to
        > assemble. A couple of questions.
        >
        > (1) Am planning to use yellow wood glue for the castings but can use
        > white if it is prefered.
        > (2) What is the best glue to attach the wood trim to the painted part
        > of the castings? I have ACC, Duco, Tacky, wood glue, Gorilla and
        > probably others.
        > (3) Styrene to the castings?
        >
        > Thanks in advance.
        >
        > John Adams, aka quincy

        John,
        I do like the Apple Barrel or equivilant acrylic painting "system". Works well for
        me anyway. Glad it worked for you too.

        As far as glues go, I use white glue for plaster to plaster. Unless you are going
        to throw the thing around, white glue is plenty strong. It flows better than
        yellow. Wood to plaster - same white glue. Seems to work fine over acrylic
        paint. White glue is sort of acrylic paint. Styrene to plaster? ACC is best.
        Styrene to wood, ACC or plastic solvent.

        Have fun!