Re: Lionel Steam Shovel

    Message 1 of 2 , May 1, 2005
      --- In Yorke_Kits@yahoogroups.com, "dhm_1951" <dnvmiller@g...> wrote:
      > Ok, Tom...scored my steam shovel kit on eBay...ten bucks plus
      > shipping...there are still some out there..
      >
      > I'm ready for your kit...
      >
      > This is actually my second Lionel steam shovel...and the one thing I
      > dont like about the kit are the tracks...they are plastic, yeah I can
      > live with that...but they also appear awfully narrow too...
      >
      > Has anyone retrofitted one of these with some tracks from a tank
      > kit...or even the metal ones they sell for the diecast D-11 bulldozers?
      >
      > The shovel and boom castings are excellent IMHO...
      >
      > Don Miller
      > Anchorage AK

      Don,
      Good going!

      You are correct in that the tracks are too narrow. There are several tank ones
      that will work. When I get to the complete shovel kits, I will need to do new
      tracks, so these can be a seperate item to replace the Lionel ones. Haven't
      made up my mind how to handle this yet. There are several tractors in 1/16
      scale that may be doners, but they are about $45. And heavy! Probably too
      large also. Check the military model sites.