Re: [Yorke_Kits] screen doors

  • joecrea@aol.com
    Message 1 of 20 , Apr 7, 2005
      Lionel,

      That thin plywood is called aircraft plywood, and you can find it at hobby
      shops that sell RC airplanes. I think I've also seen it at Hobby Lobby or
      Michael's.

      Joe

      Message 2 of 20 , Apr 7, 2005
        --- In Yorke_Kits@yahoogroups.com, lionels_trains@c... wrote:
        > Hi all.
        > I have here a set of screen doors made by the Building and Structures Co, aka
        Banta Models. It is kit number 7042 in O scale and consists of four styles of doors
        laser cut from a thin sheet of plywood. The screening material is fine metal. I've
        used them before and they're great. I don't know if they are still available.
        > By the way does anyone know a source for that thin ply? Without having to buy
        enough to re-veneer my kitchen cabinets with?
        > Lionel

        Lionel,
        Michael's and JoAnn Fabrics sells the plywood in small sheets. The 1/64" thick is
        about $10 a sheet. The 1/32" is much less. I do not know if those kits from Banta
        are still available. Might be. The one thing I do not like about laser kits and plywood
        is the fact that half of the grain is running in the wrong direction! Picky, but true.

      • Jim Vail
        Message 3 of 20 , Apr 7, 2005
          Good technique, Joe. In HO I've used silk screen - the material they
          use for screen printing T-shirts.

          Jim Vail

          joecrea@... wrote:

          >Hi, group.........
          >
          >Some of you may be old enough (like me) to remember when screen doors were
          >used on stores and residences. The 'closer' was a long spring, that gave a
          >very distinctive 'slammmmmm' when the door was opened and let go.
          >
          >Well, with all these Yorke structure kits, I think we need some more screen
          >doors. On stores, there was often a stamped metal pushbar on the door that
          >was used for advertising. I've asked Frank to post a few photos showing my
          >1/2" screen doors. I make them from stripwood, then turn them face down on my
          >work surface and stretch pantyhose over the frame, taping it to the work
          >surface. I bit of glue, white or CA, around the edges of the frame secures the
          >pantyhose in place, which can then be trimmed. This technique ought to work
          >in O scale, too.
          >
          >Joe

          >Remember, additional Yorke_Kits photos and files can now be found at:

          >Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Rick Perry
          Message 4 of 20 , Apr 8, 2005
            --- In Yorke_Kits@yahoogroups.com, joecrea@a... wrote:
            > Hi, group.........
            >
            > Some of you may be old enough (like me) to remember when screen doors
            were
            > used on stores and residences. The 'closer' was a long spring, that
            gave a
            > very distinctive 'slammmmmm' when the door was opened and let go.
            >
            > Well, with all these Yorke structure kits, I think we need some more
            screen
            > doors. On stores, there was often a stamped metal pushbar on the
            door that
            > was used for advertising.
            <snip>
            > Joe

            Joe and all,
            Don't forget that there used to be advertising printed on many of the
            screen doors that were used on stores. Most I remember were advertising
            bread companies like Sunbeam, Colonial, Merita(advertised on Lone
            Ranger show), etc. Seems that an occasional door had a milk company but
            most were advertising bread. The ad was silkscreened onto the screen
            with a really thick material so that the openings in the screen were
            filled in on the ad. Rather colorful also. As for the stamped metal
            pushbar most I remember were shades of blue and often had an
            advertisement for various products on them also.
            As Joe said the sound of a wooden screen door slamming is distintive.
            While I know of no active store still using a wooden screen door, my
            hardware store still sells screen door springs in #4 and #5 sizes along
            with the turnbuckle brace, corner braces and also the corrogated
            fasteners that the doors were put together with. And yes, all of them
            still sell out here in the real country!
            Rick Perry
            Hurtsboro, Alabama
          • joecrea@aol.com
            Message 5 of 20 , Apr 8, 2005
              I've really enjoyed all your postings about screen doors. Brought back a
              lot of memories. Thanks!
              Joe

            • joecrea@aol.com
              Message 6 of 20 , Apr 9, 2005
                Tom is correct, I think. I haven't found anything better than nylons to
                represent screen. It seems to work in the smaller scales, and looks even better
                in the larger scales. I sure would like to see some photos of the screen
                doors some of you other guys have done.

                Joe

              • lionels_trains@comcast.net
                Message 7 of 20 , Apr 9, 2005
                  Hi all'
                  I've used a fine mesh brass screen found in a surplus store years ago (can be found in used up "Faucet Queens") but only in windows as the material is too thick for doors.
                  Personally I can't even think of anything better than nylons. Not having a wife, I don't have access to these wonders. I rely on panty raids ... No, No, No ... these little slip on stockings you sometimes have to use in shoe stores. Thery are also handy for straining paints.
                  Lionel

                • Fred Mobley
                  Message 8 of 20 , Apr 9, 2005
                    In the past I've used a fine mesh nylon screen from Clover House, but
                    recently I found something at either Hobby Lobby or Michael's or maybe
                    the craft section of Wally World (can't remember which) that is ideal
                    for screens. It is nylon mesh made by Berwick Industries. The label is
                    as follows: E76255020 Misty Sheer silver 5 in X 5 yds. The price is
                    $3.57 and should be enough to last a life time.

                    Fred Mobley

                    On Sun, 10 Apr 2005 02:37:45 +0000 lionels_trains@... writes:

                    > Hi all'
                    > I've used a fine mesh brass screen found in a surplus store years
                    > ago (can be found in used up "Faucet Queens") but only in windows as
                    > the material is too thick for doors.
                    > Personally I can't even think of anything better than nylons. Not
                    > having a wife, I don't have access to these wonders. I rely on panty
                    > raids ... No, No, No ... these little slip on stockings you
                    > sometimes have to use in shoe stores. Thery are also handy for
                    > straining paints.
                    > Lionel
                  • Bill Davis
                    Message 9 of 20 , Apr 9, 2005
                      I've uploading a picture of a screen door I made for my Yorke 1/4 scale cash
                      store. I used nylon for the screen
                      Regards BILL DAVIS

                    • lionels_trains@comcast.net
                      Message 10 of 20 , Apr 9, 2005
                        Very nice Bill, and it does remind me of the good ol' days. You've definitely captured the look, I can even see a couple of scale flies banging their little heads in a futile attempt to gain entry. Good job.

                        Now if I could only figure out how to use 10800 scale square feet of that Misty Mesh
                        Ted, I would gladly invest the money to get some. Maybe someone out there can get a pack, roll or whatever , cut it into suare foot pieces, and sell it for a buck a piece, that mght be nice.

                        Happy modeling to all.
                        Lionel
                      • Kevin Goodrich
                        Message 11 of 20 , Apr 9, 2005