screen doors

  • lionels_trains@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 20 , Apr 7 8:37 AM
      Hi all.
      I have here a set of screen doors made by the Building and Structures Co, aka Banta Models. It is kit number 7042 in O scale and consists of four styles of doors laser cut from a thin sheet of plywood. The screening material is fine metal. I've used them before and they're great. I don't know if they are still available.
      By the way does anyone know a source for that thin ply? Without having to buy enough to re-veneer my kitchen cabinets with?
      Lionel
    • joecrea@aol.com
      Message 2 of 20 , Apr 7 9:04 AM
        Lionel,

        That thin plywood is called aircraft plywood, and you can find it at hobby
        shops that sell RC airplanes. I think I've also seen it at Hobby Lobby or
        Michael's.

        Joe

        Message 3 of 20 , Apr 7 9:10 AM
          --- In Yorke_Kits@yahoogroups.com, lionels_trains@c... wrote:
          > Hi all.
          > I have here a set of screen doors made by the Building and Structures Co, aka
          Banta Models. It is kit number 7042 in O scale and consists of four styles of doors
          laser cut from a thin sheet of plywood. The screening material is fine metal. I've
          used them before and they're great. I don't know if they are still available.
          > By the way does anyone know a source for that thin ply? Without having to buy
          enough to re-veneer my kitchen cabinets with?
          > Lionel

          Lionel,
          Michael's and JoAnn Fabrics sells the plywood in small sheets. The 1/64" thick is
          about $10 a sheet. The 1/32" is much less. I do not know if those kits from Banta
          are still available. Might be. The one thing I do not like about laser kits and plywood
          is the fact that half of the grain is running in the wrong direction! Picky, but true.

        • Jim Vail
          Message 4 of 20 , Apr 7 11:05 AM
            Good technique, Joe. In HO I've used silk screen - the material they
            use for screen printing T-shirts.

            Jim Vail

            joecrea@... wrote:

            >Hi, group.........
            >
            >Some of you may be old enough (like me) to remember when screen doors were
            >used on stores and residences. The 'closer' was a long spring, that gave a
            >very distinctive 'slammmmmm' when the door was opened and let go.
            >
            >Well, with all these Yorke structure kits, I think we need some more screen
            >doors. On stores, there was often a stamped metal pushbar on the door that
            >was used for advertising. I've asked Frank to post a few photos showing my
            >1/2" screen doors. I make them from stripwood, then turn them face down on my
            >work surface and stretch pantyhose over the frame, taping it to the work
            >surface. I bit of glue, white or CA, around the edges of the frame secures the
            >pantyhose in place, which can then be trimmed. This technique ought to work
            >in O scale, too.
            >
            >Joe

            >Remember, additional Yorke_Kits photos and files can now be found at:

            >Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Rick Perry
            Message 5 of 20 , Apr 8 5:14 PM
              --- In Yorke_Kits@yahoogroups.com, joecrea@a... wrote:
              > Hi, group.........
              >
              > Some of you may be old enough (like me) to remember when screen doors
              were
              > used on stores and residences. The 'closer' was a long spring, that
              gave a
              > very distinctive 'slammmmmm' when the door was opened and let go.
              >
              > Well, with all these Yorke structure kits, I think we need some more
              screen
              > doors. On stores, there was often a stamped metal pushbar on the
              door that
              > was used for advertising.
              <snip>
              > Joe

              Joe and all,
              Don't forget that there used to be advertising printed on many of the
              screen doors that were used on stores. Most I remember were advertising
              bread companies like Sunbeam, Colonial, Merita(advertised on Lone
              Ranger show), etc. Seems that an occasional door had a milk company but
              most were advertising bread. The ad was silkscreened onto the screen
              with a really thick material so that the openings in the screen were
              filled in on the ad. Rather colorful also. As for the stamped metal
              pushbar most I remember were shades of blue and often had an
              advertisement for various products on them also.
              As Joe said the sound of a wooden screen door slamming is distintive.
              While I know of no active store still using a wooden screen door, my
              hardware store still sells screen door springs in #4 and #5 sizes along
              with the turnbuckle brace, corner braces and also the corrogated
              fasteners that the doors were put together with. And yes, all of them
              still sell out here in the real country!
              Rick Perry
              Hurtsboro, Alabama
            • joecrea@aol.com
              Message 6 of 20 , Apr 8 5:25 PM
                I've really enjoyed all your postings about screen doors. Brought back a
                lot of memories. Thanks!
                Joe

              • joecrea@aol.com
                Message 7 of 20 , Apr 9 4:32 PM
                  Tom is correct, I think. I haven't found anything better than nylons to
                  represent screen. It seems to work in the smaller scales, and looks even better
                  in the larger scales. I sure would like to see some photos of the screen
                  doors some of you other guys have done.

                  Joe

                • lionels_trains@comcast.net
                  Message 8 of 20 , Apr 9 7:37 PM
                    Hi all'
                    I've used a fine mesh brass screen found in a surplus store years ago (can be found in used up "Faucet Queens") but only in windows as the material is too thick for doors.
                    Personally I can't even think of anything better than nylons. Not having a wife, I don't have access to these wonders. I rely on panty raids ... No, No, No ... these little slip on stockings you sometimes have to use in shoe stores. Thery are also handy for straining paints.
                    Lionel

                  • Fred Mobley
                    Message 9 of 20 , Apr 9 7:53 PM
                      In the past I've used a fine mesh nylon screen from Clover House, but
                      recently I found something at either Hobby Lobby or Michael's or maybe
                      the craft section of Wally World (can't remember which) that is ideal
                      for screens. It is nylon mesh made by Berwick Industries. The label is
                      as follows: E76255020 Misty Sheer silver 5 in X 5 yds. The price is
                      $3.57 and should be enough to last a life time.

                      Fred Mobley

                      On Sun, 10 Apr 2005 02:37:45 +0000 lionels_trains@... writes:

                      > Hi all'
                      > I've used a fine mesh brass screen found in a surplus store years
                      > ago (can be found in used up "Faucet Queens") but only in windows as
                      > the material is too thick for doors.
                      > Personally I can't even think of anything better than nylons. Not
                      > having a wife, I don't have access to these wonders. I rely on panty
                      > raids ... No, No, No ... these little slip on stockings you
                      > sometimes have to use in shoe stores. Thery are also handy for
                      > straining paints.
                      > Lionel
                    • Bill Davis
                      Message 10 of 20 , Apr 9 9:18 PM
                        I've uploading a picture of a screen door I made for my Yorke 1/4 scale cash
                        store. I used nylon for the screen
                        Regards BILL DAVIS

                      • lionels_trains@comcast.net
                        Message 11 of 20 , Apr 9 10:09 PM
                          Very nice Bill, and it does remind me of the good ol' days. You've definitely captured the look, I can even see a couple of scale flies banging their little heads in a futile attempt to gain entry. Good job.

                          Now if I could only figure out how to use 10800 scale square feet of that Misty Mesh
                          Ted, I would gladly invest the money to get some. Maybe someone out there can get a pack, roll or whatever , cut it into suare foot pieces, and sell it for a buck a piece, that mght be nice.

                          Happy modeling to all.
                          Lionel
                        • Kevin Goodrich
                          Message 12 of 20 , Apr 9 10:41 PM