Heresy...

  • Richard Brennan
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 1 12:26 PM
      I realize that I may face excommunication... (from this group at least...)
      but I need to narrow one of my Yorke kits to fit between tracks.

      I need to take off 3/4in from each of the two end wall castings...
      and 3/8in off of both sides of the roof casting.

      I've never tried to "bash" a Hydrocal kit before...
      Do group members have any experience (success -OR- failure...) in doing this?

      Thanks!

      ===============================
      Richard Brennan - San Leandro, CA
      ===============================
    • Bill Davis
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 1 12:51 PM
        You won't be kick out. I have cut hydrocal wall before. The easiest way was is a band saw but if not avaliable to you then you can use a razor saw and cut it that way. You get a little damage but you can repair that with a little work & care & hydrocal. One trick that works is to score the area where the cut will be with an Exacto knife first which will reduce the chiping some. Bottom line go for it. It's always nice to build a model that is your own and not just another kit assembled. When done post a picture or two.
        BILL DAVIS

        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 1 2:19 PM
          Richard

          For me, when I cut hydrocal, I just use a small square and #11 and keep the cut wet as I go. The water breaks down the plaster and creates an abrasive cutting tool. Ou shouldn't lose any of the existing detail work. When done, Spackle it together and scribe the details to mate the two pieces. It should go pretty easy.

          Rick
          Medford

          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 1 5:05 PM
            Check this on-line clinic by C.C. Crow about reworking hydrocal.

            http://www.cccrow.com/how-2/cut.html

            Clark Womack