Sawing Hydrocal walls

  • nickon30
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 1, 1944
      Tom,
      I have hydrocal wall that I wish to add a door. Anybody ever cut
      this material with a sabre saw using a fine blade? Or is this just
      too dangerous? Will the vibration cause shattering. I usually use
      water and an a #11 hobby blade but I'm wondering if there is another
      way?

      Regards,

      Colin Claxon
      Coopersburg, Pa
    • Darryl Huffman
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 1, 1944
        Colin,

        Getting the casting soaking wet softens it quite a bit so that cutting is
        easier.

        If you want to make a door, make one vertical stroke with your knife and
        then make your next stroke holding the knife at a 45 degree angle from the
        surface. This will give you a l/ cut. Repeat.
        l/
        l/
        l/

        This is a very clean way to cut out a door opening.

        Darryl Huffman
        Anchorage, Alaska

        Check out my web page at www.darrylhuffman.50megs.com/photo5.html for photos
        of some of my modelbuilding projects.
      • Frank Bernard
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 1, 1944
          Colin,

          You can also try a jeweler's saw. Drill a hole big enough for the blade to
          go through then continue cutting out the hole.

          Frank

          _____

          I have hydrocal wall that I wish to add a door. Anybody ever cut
          this material with a sabre saw using a fine blade? Or is this just
          too dangerous? Will the vibration cause shattering. I usually use
          water and an a #11 hobby blade but I'm wondering if there is another
          way?

          Regards,

          Colin Claxon
          Coopersburg, Pa

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129f2o1sf/M=315388.5543473.6613715.3001176/D=gr
          oups/S=1706533813:HM/EXP=1099422063/A=2372354/R=0/SIG=12id813k2/*https:/www.
          orchardbank.com/hcs/hcsapplication?pf=PLApply&media=EMYHNL40F21004SS> click
          here

          <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=315388.5543473.6613715.3001176/D=groups/S=
          :HM/A=2372354/rand=718804871>

          _____

          Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Jim Vail
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 1, 1944
            I have cut a lot of hydrocal plaster parts with a band saw using a
            medium (not fine) tooth blade. With the blade running in one direction
            against the table all the time you don't get that vibration. I would be
            afraid to try the sabre saw - they can get pretty rough on a part, and
            plaster doesn't stand up to the shock very well.

            Jim Vail

            nickon30 wrote:

            >Tom,
            >I have hydrocal wall that I wish to add a door. Anybody ever cut
            >this material with a sabre saw using a fine blade? Or is this just
            >too dangerous? Will the vibration cause shattering. I usually use
            >water and an a #11 hobby blade but I'm wondering if there is another
            >way?
            >
            >Regards,
            >
            >Colin Claxon
            >Coopersburg, Pa

          • jjn

              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 1, 1944
                Colin;
                As stated wet the casting and use a razor saw to cut the opening. Use a
                knife for the top cut.

                Charlie F.

                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 1, 1944
                  --- In Yorke_Kits@yahoogroups.com, "nickon30" <
                  westfieldweavers@w...> wrote:

                  > Tom,
                  > I have hydrocal wall that I wish to add a door. Anybody ever cut
                  > this material with a sabre saw using a fine blade? Or is this
                  just
                  > too dangerous? Will the vibration cause shattering. I usually
                  use
                  > water and an a #11 hobby blade but I'm wondering if there is
                  another
                  > way?
                  >
                  > Regards,
                  >
                  > Colin Claxon
                  > Coopersburg, Pa
                  Colin,
                  I drill a hole at each corner of the opening and use a jeweler's
                  saw to cut out the opening. Let the blade do the work - don't
                  push. Work on a flat surface with a large "V" cut into it. This will
                  support your work, but let the blade get into the wall. Also, plan
                  for the last cut -- be sure it is not the most stressfull of the cuts.
                  Do that one first.

                • Bill Davis
                  Message 8 of 9 , Oct 1, 1944
                    Hi Collin,
                    I drill a series of hole near the opening edges of the door or window that I'm adding. Them cut the plug out with an exacto knife. After that I carefully file the opening square. Result is a nice clean opening. I have also added strips of wood as stops on the inside of the opening to hold the window or door in place. When cut down a casting I have used my band saw but that is only when cutting a casting down in size not cutting openings.
                    Regards BILL DAVIS

                    Message 9 of 9 , Oct 2, 1944
                      --- In Yorke_Kits@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Davis" <billcheri@c...>
                      wrote:
                      > Hi Collin,
                      > I drill a series of hole near the opening edges of the door or
                      window that I'm adding. Them cut the plug out with an exacto knife.
                      After that I carefully file the opening square. Result is a nice
                      clean opening. I have also added strips of wood as stops on the
                      inside of the opening to hold the window or door in place. When cut
                      down a casting I have used my band saw but that is only when cutting
                      a casting down in size not cutting openings.
                      > Regards BILL DAVIS

                      Bill , just gave the correct way to cut a door or window opening. I
                      use this method all the time, when using hydrocal.....madmike