105 Build Trestle

  • bigtony110
    Message 1 of 6 , May 15 2:21 AM
      I have just completed the Trestle for my 105 build and posted 3 photos in the 105 build folder.
      Sorry it was difficult to photograph, the detail should be easier to see once I get it in a sceniced Diorama.

      Tony R
      Bali, Indonesia

      Message 2 of 6 , May 21 7:00 AM

        Tony---

        It's all looking good.  I look forward to seeing the diorama and how you work all of the elements together.  Please keep us posted.

        Craig Kanewske
        Austin, Texas

        Message 3 of 6 , May 24 10:29 PM
          Tony,
          Very well done. Your bridge looks very realistic. Would you share your method of making your plaster look so much like concrete. I have some concrete work coming up and I like your results.
          Thank you,
          John Clark
          Columbus, Ohio
        • Tony Reidpath
          Message 4 of 6 , May 26 1:48 AM

            Thanks John for your complement.

            Pleased to share…no real secrets used.

            I painted all the casings with a thin grey wash…well almost grey, 3 parts Dover Grey and 1 part Thatch (a tan colour) these were acrylics I brought from ACE hardware in Sampler pots, this seals the castings. I left these for several days while I worked on other parts of the 105 build, then I went back and  washed over some worn concrete from Dr Ben’s (don’t shake the container up), when this is nice and dry, I touched up the cracks and added a few streaks of different rusts where the rusting rebar will have leached out, then a few darker streaks using a black I/A mix.

            All I have done is looked at old concrete foundations that have been in the elements for some time, they are all different. I have seen some that are almost Black with mould and other build ups.

            So I guess inconsistency is the key, once in place I will add a little more staining with just a hint of green on some sides to give the effect of mould on the sides not exposed to the sun.

            Less is more than enough in this case, little bits, I try to work to the principle that if you think it needs one more coat then it is time to stop.

            Tony Reidpath

            Bali

          • bill davis

              Message 6 of 6 , May 26 11:02 AM
                Tony,
                Thank you for sharing your technique. I will certainly give this a try. Getting an old weathered concrete color has always been hard for me to achive.
                John Clark
                Columbus, Ohio