Re: Concrete Color

  • jdmckee1
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 29, 2013
      Craig,

      That helps alot, thanks again. That is what Ive been looking for!! JD.

      --- In Yorke_Kits@yahoogroups.com, "E. Craig Kanewske" wrote:

      > JD---
      >
      > This is what Tom wrote in the Pool Hall-Bordello instructions:
      >
      > "I mixed up a thin batch of acrylic stain from Apple Barrel Dolphin Gray,
      > Antique White, and a little Burnt Umber to give it a warm tint. This is a
      > watery mix. A stain. I used a spray bottle and wet down the casting
      > liberally. Then I brushed on the stain with a large pointed Sable brush.
      > Work on the damp casting. This will allow the stain to cover better and
      > blend together. It may take several applications to get the color density
      > you desire. Do not let the surface dry. Keep it damp. When you are
      > finished (stop before it gets too dark), you can mix up a tiny batch of
      > watery Burnt Umber to paint into the cracks and uneven surface. Work on a
      > damp casting. The color will be drawn into the cracks and blend very
      > nicely. You can blot off excess with your finger or damp towel. Work the
      > color in. Bring out all the details, but don't overdo it or make it too
      > dark. Be subtle here. Let this dry. The walkway can have some dirt rubbed
      > into the surface."
      >
      > Just a few personal notes. If you can't find/don't have Apple Barrel, other
      > craft paints will work. Dolphin Gray is a light warm gray. "Antique White"
      > varies among brands, so be careful there. At any point, you can let the
      > casting dry-out to check the color intensity, and then re-wet. Try for a
      > subtle variation between sections of the "concrete" and over the surface.
      > For variety, you can also dry-brush edges and texture areas and "dry-scrub"
      > stains or wear patterns.
      >
      > Hope this helps,
      > Craig

    • Mike Bauers
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 30, 2013
        I got one of Toms kits 20 or more years ago. Then his instruction was to seal the kit with Floquil polyscale off-white and after letting it set for a couple of hours, paint over it with whatever paint you wish to use.

        Best to ya...
        Mike Bauers
        Milwaukee, Wi, USA