Re: [Yorke_Kits] Concrete Color

  • Mike Bauers
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 28, 2013
      Here's something recent.....

      "Polyscale 50/50 Concrete and Reefer White. More white for older structures."

      Best to ya...
      Mike Bauers
      Milwaukee, Wi, USA

      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 28, 2013
        JD---

        This is what Tom wrote in the Pool Hall-Bordello instructions:

        "I mixed up a thin batch of acrylic stain from Apple Barrel Dolphin Gray,
        Antique White, and a little Burnt Umber to give it a warm tint. This is a
        watery mix. A stain. I used a spray bottle and wet down the casting
        liberally. Then I brushed on the stain with a large pointed Sable brush.
        Work on the damp casting. This will allow the stain to cover better and
        blend together. It may take several applications to get the color density
        you desire. Do not let the surface dry. Keep it damp. When you are
        finished (stop before it gets too dark), you can mix up a tiny batch of
        watery Burnt Umber to paint into the cracks and uneven surface. Work on a
        damp casting. The color will be drawn into the cracks and blend very
        nicely. You can blot off excess with your finger or damp towel. Work the
        color in. Bring out all the details, but don't overdo it or make it too
        dark. Be subtle here. Let this dry. The walkway can have some dirt rubbed
        into the surface."

        Just a few personal notes. If you can't find/don't have Apple Barrel, other
        craft paints will work. Dolphin Gray is a light warm gray. "Antique White"
        varies among brands, so be careful there. At any point, you can let the
        casting dry-out to check the color intensity, and then re-wet. Try for a
        subtle variation between sections of the "concrete" and over the surface.
        For variety, you can also dry-brush edges and texture areas and "dry-scrub"
        stains or wear patterns.

        Hope this helps,
        Craig

        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 29, 2013
          Craig,

          That helps alot, thanks again. That is what Ive been looking for!! JD.

          --- In Yorke_Kits@yahoogroups.com, "E. Craig Kanewske" wrote:

          > JD---
          >
          > This is what Tom wrote in the Pool Hall-Bordello instructions:
          >
          > "I mixed up a thin batch of acrylic stain from Apple Barrel Dolphin Gray,
          > Antique White, and a little Burnt Umber to give it a warm tint. This is a
          > watery mix. A stain. I used a spray bottle and wet down the casting
          > liberally. Then I brushed on the stain with a large pointed Sable brush.
          > Work on the damp casting. This will allow the stain to cover better and
          > blend together. It may take several applications to get the color density
          > you desire. Do not let the surface dry. Keep it damp. When you are
          > finished (stop before it gets too dark), you can mix up a tiny batch of
          > watery Burnt Umber to paint into the cracks and uneven surface. Work on a
          > damp casting. The color will be drawn into the cracks and blend very
          > nicely. You can blot off excess with your finger or damp towel. Work the
          > color in. Bring out all the details, but don't overdo it or make it too
          > dark. Be subtle here. Let this dry. The walkway can have some dirt rubbed
          > into the surface."
          >
          > Just a few personal notes. If you can't find/don't have Apple Barrel, other
          > craft paints will work. Dolphin Gray is a light warm gray. "Antique White"
          > varies among brands, so be careful there. At any point, you can let the
          > casting dry-out to check the color intensity, and then re-wet. Try for a
          > subtle variation between sections of the "concrete" and over the surface.
          > For variety, you can also dry-brush edges and texture areas and "dry-scrub"
          > stains or wear patterns.
          >
          > Hope this helps,
          > Craig

        • Mike Bauers
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 30, 2013
            I got one of Toms kits 20 or more years ago. Then his instruction was to seal the kit with Floquil polyscale off-white and after letting it set for a couple of hours, paint over it with whatever paint you wish to use.

            Best to ya...
            Mike Bauers
            Milwaukee, Wi, USA