Re: One More Balsa Foam Question for Tom

  • tom
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 9, 2011
      The easy answer is "yes". I use whatever works.

      This is the important part - I use the heavier, more expensive foam. I suspect you are using the soft variety. The more expensive foam is much tougher and harder than the light stuff that doesn't hold corners and details too well. True, it is easier to carve, but it is too soft. Get the more dense sheets. You will find it much easier to work with.

      I use a wood chisel, X-Acto blades, bug sticker (long needle), files and clay carving tools, both metal and wood. Truly whatever seems to work.

      Adobe bricks are a little larger than "regular" bricks. Sometimes they were formed in "boxes" and then dumped out. They would then settle a bit so the edges were not all flat. They are a little rounded.