Re: Tom Yorke illustrations at Anaheim Disneyland

  • tom
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 9, 2011
      I have not seen them, except when I did them eons ago, so I do not know if they are originals or not. I was Lead Graphic Designer for the Paris project for four years starting in late 1997. My group had 1000 signs to design! True, some where small restroom signs, but many others were all of the large marquees on Main Street. I handled all of the vehicles myself since I assigned the work. Those were my babies. I did the patterns for the number and builder's plates for the, then, three steamers. All of the loco details were designed by me, except I was not responsible for raising the roofs of the locos. I didn't like that! The passenger cars were completely my design including duck bill roofs and all of the interior paneling.

      Back then, every sign or design had to have a colored rendering to represent the finish. This was just at the beginning of computers, so all was done with paint. If any of you have been to Walt Disney World you may have seen my four loco renderings in the Main Street Station. I probably have more than 100 signs in all of the parks down there with the emphasis on The Magic Kingdom and Asia in Animal Kingdom. MouseGear in EPCOT was one of the last designs I did in 1999. All of the exterior Marquees needed to match the radius of the structure! Fun work. Maybe someday I will write an article on my years at Disney.
      Tom

      --- In Yorke_Kits@yahoogroups.com, "Lindley Ruddick" <elruddick@...> wrote:

      > Disneyland in Anaheim, CA has a feature on Disneyland Railroads in the building as you enter the Magic Kingdom. Included in the exhibit are some illustrations by Tom Yorke of the Euro Disney locomotives. There are even captions giving credit to him! Needless to say they are outstanding. I do not know if they are the originals or prints. The feature is not a permanent exhibition but I do not know the length of the display. Be sure to stop in if you are in the park. There are lots of other Disney Railroad artifacts and things to spend big bucks on to take home. Needless to say they are not kiddie souvenirs but adult "collectables".
      > Lindley Ruddick

    • Darryl Huffman
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 9, 2011
        Tom,

        Why not write  a book on your work for Disney.

        There are lots of Disney books available and with today's technology, you don't even have to print the book but can just sell the online verion through Amazon.com.

      • Darryl Huffman
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 10, 2011
          http://www.uploadnsell.com/

          Tom you can sell your ebook for free at the above website.

          Darryl Huffman