Re: Hello..........hello.......anybody out there?

  • Gil Hulin
    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 20 1:56 PM
      Don’t overlook the fact that many of us just returned home last week from the NMRA convention and National Train Show in Sacramento. I had planned to order the Frijole Flats depot from Dennis upon return, but instead unexpectedly spent $200 on a new line of resin Western structures from Grand Central Gems, a Salt Lake City-based firm better known for trees and trestle bents in the past. While I am not modeling in a Wild West timeframe, I do think that the two saloons, bank and sheriff’s office/jail that I purchased will fit in nicely with my Frijole Flats and other adobe structures.

      It’s a good thing that the NMRA, NASG and Narrow Gauge conventions move around every year. I couldn’t afford to have more than one within travel distance every year. The National Train Show will now go to Michigan, Georgia and Ohio before returning to Portland, OR, in 2015. But I have recently learned that the World’s Greatest Hobby on Tour show will make its second Oregon appearance next February, seven months before the NNGC is in Washington.

      Glad to hear that Darryl has found a new home in Idaho. I’m sorry that it wasn’t the Oregon coast, as I would have visited there far more often. My On30 modeling includes the best of two environments—sagebrush and adobe buildings on one hand, and salt water, seagulls and wharves on the other. My freelance railroad runs from Kittitas, WA, and the connection with the Milwaukee Road (note the Bellevue & Cascade influence) to the port of Yaquina on the central Oregon coast. Like Darryl’s modeling plans, building the towns has really pushed the railroad aspects to the background.

      Gil Hulin
      Eugene, OR

    • UncaDuck50@aol.com
      Message 2 of 16 , Jul 20 7:09 PM
        We may not be spending much money, but we can still "talk" up a storm can't
        we? Talk is cheap as they say.

        What's going on?

        Tom

        ~~~~~~~~~
        Tom-

        For one thing Yahoo was having a big problem over the past few days-
        messages were being rec'd but not re-sent during a period
        of server maintenace.......

        I guess we get what we pay for......

        Personally, upon my return from NMRA in Sacto, I had car issues to deal
        with & a
        12" to the foot fence to build..... no fun digging postholes when the
        auger on the
        tractor refuses to dig deeper than 9 inches to a foot - hardpan clay,
        cooked by the desert
        for eons....

        Doug
        Sparks, NV

      • lchon30
        Message 3 of 16 , Jul 24 6:01 PM
          Working on assembling some pictures and drawings.

          My time on the computer is focused on getting this together & right.

          Keith G
        • Hadrian Tucker
          Message 4 of 16 , Jul 28 6:18 PM
            A combination of the heatwave and the debt crisis in DC has sidelined me into inaction.
            Best wishes, HT

            Message 5 of 16 , Jul 28 6:27 PM
              Your posting prompted me to order the Super Barrio set.  I'm hoping this will renew my interest inmy  track layout.

              Thanks, HT
              Message 6 of 16 , Aug 4, 2011
                It should HT. It is a wonderful kit to bash around with. A lot of fun.
                Tom