The Old Store at Head's Mill

  • gmhtrains
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 14, 2010
      I received my "Old Store" kit this week from Dennis Brandt and am looking forward to expanding and modifying it. Since the front will be the focal point and I am not seeking "contest model" detail on the other three sides, I've chosen Evergreen Styrene clapboard rather than Northeastern wood siding for the remaining walls. However, there may be bushes next to the building to break up some blank walls, or other castings such as Rusty Rails' sheds attached. I am also trying to decide whether to build the structure on a hill as suggested in the instructions, or to build on a level wharf as part of my harbor scene.

      Since "The Old Store at Head's Mill" is descriptive of the building, but not the name of an actual business, I'm having fun deciding just what kind of business will occupy the structure. If located on the waterfront, I've already got a couple of large canneries, a boat works, tackle and bait shops, but might add a taxidermy shop advertising "trophy fish our specialty".

      The harbor scene is set in 1950 on the central Oregon coast. Were there any types of businesses supporting a commercial fishing fleet in that era that no longer exist?

      Naming each business is also a fun exercise. I avoid using the names of specific towns, but do emphasize the use of regional names of rivers, mountains, counties that suggest a particular part of a specific state, without pinpointing the freelance community's exact location. I don't think I have ever left the manufacturer's suggested name on any kit or pre-assembled structure.

      Working in O scale, I've never built a Fine Scale Miniature kit. But I think the ultimate irony in renaming a kit-built structure would be to reletter an FSM masterpiece as "Plasticville this-or-that" so that it would fit with the rest of the city's buildings.

      Gil Hulin
    • Darryl Huffman
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 14, 2010
        Gil,

        Commericial fishing fleets back then relied upon maps rather than radar and
        GPS so a map maker is a good small business to have.

        Fishing nets were made from rope rather than nylon so the nets needed much
        more care. Places to dry them out and mend them, plus they were usually
        soaked in large vats in a preservative so racks and vats were common.

        Wooden barrels were much more common than today's 55 gallon oil drum so a
        barrel maker would be needed.

        Ice was needed in larger quantities as refrigeration was limited back then.

        Lots of small fishing boats rather than the large vessels used today were
        needed.

        The book WHERE HAVE ALL THE SARDINES GONE by Randall Reinstedt is available
        for just a few dollars on Amazon.com.

        Highly recommended pictorial history of Monterey's Cannery Row and it is
        filled with great information and photos.

        Darryl Huffman
        12020 Old Seward Highway
        Anchorage, AK 99515-3504
        dlhuffman@...

        Interested in weathering? Check out my DVD:
        http://www.darrylhuffman.50megs.com/custom3.html

        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 14, 2010
          I will look forward to seeing the completed pictures posted. I was
          hoping someone would make it into a complete building. Harbors are very
          interesting places. It should find a good home.

          Dennis
          Branline Sales

          www.e-model-railroading.com

        • ghulin@earthlink.net
          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 15, 2010
            Darryl and others responding to my post,

            Thanks for your suggestions and ideas. I am already picturing signage for The Old Store offering maps, charts and other coastal navigation aids. And I found not one, but two Cannery Row pictorial history books available through Amazon.

            I had already purchased the Nick Nolte/Debra Winger Cannery Row movie for waterfront structural inspiration, and the Robin Williams Popeye movie for its seaside village caricature architecture. It may be possible to combine the two, with a realistic harbor scene in the foreground, then cannery row and other fishing industry support businesses facing the waterfront, then a glimpse of the narrow gauge railroad through breaks between the buildings, and a maze of caricature houses, in the order of Tom Yorke's Frijole Flats community, ascending a hillside behind that.

            Actually, the combination of Frijole Flats with a fishing harbor is not purely fictional, if one wanted to model Puerto Penasco, Sonora, prior to the resort hotel boom of the 1990's. The area offers the closest salt water beach to Tucson and Phoenix, AZ, and the tourist industry has boomed the last 20 years. I rode a one-day train excursion from San Diego and Mexicali to Puerto Penasco in the late 1970's. Dozens of shrimp boats filled the harbor only a couple of blocks from the Sonora-Baja California Railroad station. Unfortunately, the four passenger trains a day of that era are now gone, and the orange and white SBC has been lost to Mexico's railroad restructuring.

            Gil Hulin

          • Darryl Huffman
            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 15, 2010
              Gil,

              Go to EBay and search for

              maritime sign

              you will find a few interesting ideas.

              Darryl Huffman
              12020 Old Seward Highway
              Anchorage, AK 99515
              dlhuffman@...

              Interested in weathering steam locomotives? Check out my newest DVD:

              http://darrylhuffman.50megs.com/whats_new_3.html
              .
              > Darryl and others responding to my post,
              >
              > Thanks for your suggestions and ideas. I am already picturing signage for
              > The Old Store offering maps, charts and other coastal navigation aids. And
              > I found not one, but two Cannery Row pictorial history books available
              > through Amazon.
            • Darryl Huffman
              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 16, 2010
                Gil,

                Mario Rapinett has a great collection of Popeye Village photos on his
                website:

                http://www.modvid.com.au/html/body_malta__popeye_village.html

              • UncaDuck50@aol.com
                Message 7 of 7 , Sep 29, 2010
                  Since "The Old Store at Head's Mill" is descriptive of the building, but
                  not the name of an actual business, I'm having fun deciding just what kind of
                  business will occupy the structure. If located on the waterfront, I've
                  already got a couple of large canneries, a boat works, tackle and bait shops,
                  but might add a taxidermy shop advertising "trophy fish our specialty".

                  Gil-

                  How about a "chandler's "shop? These were basically
                  a nautical general store, carrying everything from block & tackle,
                  netting, sail, rope ( line ) hardware bits, chain, anything a ship's
                  master might need, including provisions.

                  Sorry you missed the Barn Meet- hope you can make the next one !

                  Doug Rowe,
                  Sparks, NV