Re: [Yorke_Kits] Painting resin kits

    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 7, 2010
      Bill

      Tom's method(s) use what are commonly refered to as acrylic "craft paints".
      There are about 4 brands out there and you can find them (in the US) at
      big-box stores (WalMart) and home/craft store chains (Michaels/Hobby Lobby).
      Supposedly. the more expensive brands offer better coverage---but since
      we're usually not trying to glop the paint on---that's no big deal.

      The advantage "craft paints" have over "hobby paints" is price and
      different color choices. Compared to hobby store paints, they are cheap.

      There may be some written tutorials by Tom floating around in the FILES
      section of this group site or on Tom's website. Since you are finishing a
      work car, I would also recommend the painting tips on the Boulder Valley
      Models website. Particularly if you're going for the old "weathered paint"
      look.

      Basically, Tom's method is to build up a weathered wood look with thin
      layers of various colors. You would then apply your "paint" colors over
      that. For the "paint", I use a combination of washes, thin/thick paint,
      skip-brushing, and dry-brushing.

      I "usually" use a primer on resin. Rattle-can gray automotive primer from
      HomeDepot.

      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 9, 2010
        Hi Bill,

        Tom has posted an article about his painting techniques on his website:

        http://www.thomasayorke.com/Freebees.html

        Just click on the file you want, save it and open with Adobe Acrobat or
        other pdf reader.

        Larry R

        --
        Larry Rickert
        Brooklyn, USA

        On30 Resource Center:
        http://on30center.com

        "I can do everything through him who gives me strength."
        - Philippians 4:13