Where is everyone

  • staton55
    Message 1 of 14 , Aug 15, 2010
      Wow I don't post very often, but look almost everyday, where did everyone go? Tom
    • Darryl Huffman
      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 15, 2010
        Tom,

        The hobby is officially dead so you might as well take up painting.

        I think we are all here but I am packing for the narrow gauge convention in
        St Louis

        Darryl Huffman
        12020 Old Seward Highway
        Anchorage, AK 99515-3504
        dlhuffman@...

        Interested in weathering? Check out my DVD:
        http://www.darrylhuffman.50megs.com/custom3.html

        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 16, 2010
          Tom,
          I am here and the lights are still on (for now!), but it seams everyone else has gone. The economy has finally taken it's toll on our hobby. It's been coming for some time, but it is here now, no doubt. I am still making things but sales are so sluggish that it is impossible to make a go of it, like many others out there. The only thing to do is plug away and hope for the best. Please remember that my products are 100% American made. Also, please check out
          www.e-model-railroading.com and see what Dennis has available.

          Tom

          --- In Yorke_Kits@yahoogroups.com, "staton55" <notats@...> wrote:

          > Wow I don't post very often, but look almost everyday, where did everyone go? Tom

        • Tom Gregory
          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 16, 2010
            Tom, How about an update on the long awaited ACS4 and steam shovel?

            Tom Gregory

            I am here and the lights are still on (for now!), but it seams everyone else has gone. The economy has finally taken it's toll on our hobby. It's been coming for some time, but it is here now, no doubt. I am still making things but sales are so sluggish that it is impossible to make a go of it, like many others out there. The only thing to do is plug away and hope for the best. Please remember that my products are 100% American made. Also, please check out
            www.e-model-railroading.com and see what Dennis has available.

            Tom

            --- In Yorke_Kits@yahoogroups.com, "staton55" <notats@...> wrote:

            > Wow I don't post very often, but look almost everyday, where did everyone go? Tom

          • Tom McEwan
            Message 5 of 14 , Aug 16, 2010
              Hello All:

              I think the state of the economy is part of it. It is also summer which tends to slow down the hobby a little. Perhps things will get better once the kids are back in school.

              Tom McEwan
              Maple Ridge, BC

              Message 6 of 14 , Aug 16, 2010
                The ACS4's and Shovels are being done by another company for me and I must wait for the parts because they are being done as they have time for them. They most certainly have not been forgotten and when I receive parts I can pack them.

                Tom

                --- In Yorke_Kits@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Gregory" <tom@...> wrote:

                > Tom, How about an update on the long awaited ACS4 and steam shovel?
                >
                > Tom Gregory

              • Jerry Chose
                Message 7 of 14 , Aug 17, 2010
                  The economy has taken it's toll, for sure.

                  What I find interesting is that many of the big guys in the hobby have picked this time to make significant increases in the product prices. One could argue that this is because the price of doing business with foreign suppliers has risen, but these increases also apply to our domestic (made in the USA) suppliers.

                  Seems to me a business dilemma is- 'Am I willing to take less profit on each item and sell more items, or do I jack the prices and make more per item but sell fewer items?'

                  Let me see now, what does Walmart do and why do they pack their parking lots?

                  Jerry

                  To: Yorke_Kits@yahoogroups.com
                  From: tomyorke@...
                  Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2010 12:26:37 +0000

                  Message 8 of 14 , Aug 17, 2010
                    Jerry,

                    What about AFCO and White Front and all those other huge discount stores
                    that went bankrupt? Low prices doesn't mean everything.

                    I'm sure if Tom Yorke were able and willing to exploit child labor in third
                    world countries he could make more money than he does.

                    But he can't use predatory pricing to force local competition out of
                    business like Walmart does.

                    Incidentally, I have been a stockholder in Walmart for at least 10 years so
                    my comments are not "sour grapes".

                    Walmart has a great business plan that works. So does British Petroleum.

                    Besides, Jerry, I don't remember ever buying any kits designed and
                    manufactured by Sam Walton - - - -

                    but I have shelves filled with Tom's kits.

                    Message 9 of 14 , Aug 17, 2010
                      Hello all:

                      Jerry, you are being very unfair to the hobby industry and the "big guys" whomever you think they are. I know for sure that Tom and I are not the "Big guys".

                      The comparison with Wal-Mart is interesting as they exist because of high volumes. I am sure that you realize that the hobby industry as a whole does not enjoy those high volumes. In addition the mark up on many hobby products is weak. Wal-Mart sells things like clothes where there is a historically high mark up even when 'discounted.' In addition Wal-Mart pressures their suppliers, and service comapnies, for the lowest possible price and soemtimes quality suffers. I know they willingly take back any defective product but that is just passed back to the supplier.

                      Do not forget that Wal-Mart was into plastic models for a time and got out. They did not have the volume of sales per linear foot of shelf that they demand. In layman's terms, there was no money in it for Wal-Mart.

                      As a small hobby dealer I am also frustrated by rising costs but, I have also seen some price decreases which I have happily passed on to my customers. The average Wal-Mart sells more in a day than I do in a year.

                      The sell for less but make it up in volume works for clothes and groceries. It does not work well for hobby products as they are not things we need to buy in our lives. You cannot stop eating but you can stop building models.

                      I think you would be surprised at the number of times that the big boys actually lose money on a product. Many people think that every product is a winner and that they fly off the shelves. If only that was true.

                      Times are tough for all of us. This means that businesses, however big or small, must watch costs. In these times one passes on small increases when you might not do so if times were better.

                      I just heard that Wal-Mart is making more profit. Perhaps we should poll the hobby inductry in general and see who is making money, and who isn't. You might be very surprised.

                      Tom McEwan
                      Maple Ridge, BC
                      Owner - On Track Hobbies

                      From: tomyorke@...
                      Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2010 12:26:37 +0000

                      Message 10 of 14 , Aug 17, 2010
                        I would sincerely like to apologize for my comments and ask that this thread be allowed to go away.

                        Jerry

                        To: Yorke_Kits@yahoogroups.com

                        From: tomyorke@...
                        Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2010 12:26:37 +0000

                        Message 11 of 14 , Aug 17, 2010
                          No need to apologize .... what thread? were we talking about something?

                          Tom McEwan
                          Maple Ridge, BC

                          Message 12 of 14 , May 19, 2012
                            Has this site been changed? Thanks Tom Staton
                          • Kevin Staddon
                            Message 13 of 14 , May 31, 2012
                              Hiding in Devon, UK.
                              Building up for my part in our local exhibition in a few weeks (no modelling by myself)
                              See www.exemrs.co.uk if any one around. Exhibition pages list layouts and traders.
                              Kev S

                            • Darryl Huffman
                              Message 14 of 14 , May 31, 2012
                                Tom,

                                Many of the groups are pretty dead these days.

                                There are so many forums that it is hard to keep up with all the different groups.

                                Personally, my lovely bride and I have been in the process of moving to Idaho for almost one full year and we will finally be heading for Idaho on August 15th.

                                We had moved to Idaho in April but needed to come back to Alaska to wrap up family business.

                                I had moved every single one of my tools to Idaho so I had to go to the hobby shop last week to buy some paint, an Xacto knife and some tweezers just so I didn't go stir crazy.

                                But I have also been busy producing a couple of new CDs in the meantime.

                                I have a new one on Hump Yard Design, Equipment and Operation:

                                http://ghosttownmodels.com/catalog_3.html

                                and the 1919 Brownhoist Crane Catalog:

                                http://www.ghosttownmodels.com/custom2_1.html%c2%a0

                                My plans for the near future are really focused on the Narrow Gauge Convention in Seattle and then the start of my new model building activities in Idaho.

                                Gil Flores lives a couple of blocks from me in Idaho and we are kicking around whether to build in O scale or 1/32nd.

                                Bottom line, Tom, is that the group may not be really active right now but I think we are all here.

                                I haven't heard from Tom Yorke for a while so I have no idea what kind of projects he is working on.

                                See you down the road, my friend.

                                Darryl Huffman
                                12020 Old Seward Highway
                                Anchorage, AK 99515