Re: [Yorke_Kits] Re: 1940 Ford Pickup

  • David Brockmeier
    Message 1 of 17 , Jul 19, 2010
      I picked up one of the tractors at my local Hallmark Gold Crown store. A quick snip and the loop for the hook is gone....

      This link can direct you to stores near you...

      http://go.mappoint.net/Hallmark/PrxInput.aspx

      David

    • UncaDuck50@aol.com
      Message 2 of 17 , Jul 20, 2010
        There is also a John Deere D Tractor also at

        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        Tom, gang-
        Went to the Hallmark website for a looksee, and it
        appears to me that the John Deere looks a lot like the
        Athearn release from a few years back in 1/50 scale.

        Doug
        Message 3 of 17 , Jul 20, 2010
          David---

          How does the Hallmark GD tractor compare to the 1/50 Athearn ones?
          Quality-wise. (I also wonder if this particular tractor model was one that
          Athearn also produced) Where the trucks not in stock?

          Craig

          >I picked up one of the tractors at my local Hallmark Gold Crown store. A
          >quick snip and the loop for the hook is gone....
          >
          > This link can direct you to stores near you...
          >
          > http://go.mappoint.net/Hallmark/PrxInput.aspx
          >
          > David
          >
          > On Jul 19, 2010, at 9:49 AM, E. Craig Kanewske wrote:
          >
          >> (In Texas anyway) Crown Stores sell Hallmark stuff. They are a generic
          >> shopping mall standard issue gift and card store.
          >>
          >> Thanks for the heads-up on this Tom. Silly me, I don't usually think
          >> about
          >> Christmas shopping until December and don't usually brave it into a mall
          >> before mid-December. By then the Hallmark ornament stuff is picked pretty
          >> clean.
          >>
          >> Craig

        • brockmeier
          Message 4 of 17 , Jul 20, 2010
            They had lots of both the trucks and the tractors. Since the truck was a 1940 model I thought it to new.

            The tractor looks just like the Athearn one to me.

            I have the Athearn one so I 'll compare them when I get home tonight

            David

          • David Brockmeier
            Message 5 of 17 , Jul 20, 2010
              Craig,

              The Hallmark one quality wise is good. It is a bit larger than the 1/50 scale Athearn one.

              As long as they are not side by side it's fine.

              I would say it's closest to 1/43 scale as opposed to the Athearns 1/50.

              David

              Message 6 of 17 , Jul 21, 2010
                A guess at the Ford would be about 1/46 scale. The real wheel base is 112" and the model scales out to 118" in 1/48 scale. About as much off as 1/50 is to 1/48, only in the other direction.

                By the way, I've finished mine. It painted up really nice and now looks its age! The cab is metal and the rest is plastic. The tractor looks very nice. Detail is good, but it does look a tad larger than the Athearn one. Why they chose that prototype is beyond me. Remember all those F3's in HO years ago? Every company had to make their own.

                Tom
              • Will Connelly
                Message 7 of 17 , Jul 21, 2010
                  I checked my local Hallmark store, and found one remaining pickup, a Deere tractor and, additionally, a neat trailer home
                  that begs to be modified into a taco or burrito wagon, hotdog stand, or maybe a shrimp and grits booth.....

                  The pickup trucks are awesome, so I ordered a dozen for self and 1/48 friends.

                  Will

                  Message 8 of 17 , Jul 21, 2010
                    Yes, the trucks are very nice Will. I didn't mention the trailer home, but it certainly could be modified into a neat little shop of some sort - and it has lights! It probably is a little large, but careful placement would work. I was tempted, but I figured it was something I didn't really need. Now those trucks on the other hand........

                    Tom

                    --- In Yorke_Kits@yahoogroups.com, "Will Connelly" <will@...> wrote:

                    > I checked my local Hallmark store, and found one remaining pickup, a Deere tractor and, additionally, a neat trailer home
                    > that begs to be modified into a taco or burrito wagon, hotdog stand, or maybe a shrimp and grits booth.....
                    >
                    > The pickup trucks are awesome, so I ordered a dozen for self and 1/48 friends.
                    >
                    > Will

                  • Jeff R.
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jul 22, 2010
                      Tom and others -- How do you paint these kinds of models? Just a brush and some cheap acrylic paints, or spray paints, or ?

                      Message 10 of 17 , Jul 22, 2010
                        Jeff,
                        I first disassembled the cab from the fender/frame assembly. That was as far as I went. You could remove the glass and everything else in paint prep, but sometimes it isn't worth going that far. I taped over the windshield with tiny "chips" of blue painters tape. I then sprayed both assemblies with Dullcote to get a slightly rough surface.

                        When dry, the fun begins. I mixed up a batch of acrylic stain - Sunflower - in my case. It is a pale creamy yellow that shows dirt and rust well. It was brushed on with a quality brush. About 10 coats until until enough was built up. Keep in mind you are painting with tinted water so there is no thick build-up when the water evaporates leaving just a thin coat of pigment. I wanted a faded yellow color so a thin coating was enough to represent this. Next came an over-wash of a whiter cream to add a chalking effect. Then came the rusted areas in full strength Burnt Umber. These are the little areas at panel edges, bottom of doors and so on that rust out. Then I came back with a stain of this same color and proceeded to wash over the body in areas to tint them dirty yellow and in some cases a thin surface rust area . This was followed by some stain of Terra Cotta as rust. Very thin in many areas to show the beginnings of rust-creep and a little heavier right over the dark brown rusted-out spots. A little of this color goes a long way!

                        Next came the dry pigment rust in two tones, dark brown and then a little orange here and there. Keep in mind I said "a little". Some Rotten Stone was applied to the wheels and tires and the window tape was removed. A thin application of Dullcote followed. The windows will fog a little, but that's what you want. A filthy truck with spotless glass? I think not! A for sale sign was painted on the windshield. Oh yes, on my model I removed the front wheels and mounted brake drums and spindles that I have in resin.

                        The whole effort took about 4 hours straight, but I didn't work on it like that.

                        Tom

                        --- In Yorke_Kits@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff R." <barnes@...> wrote:

                        > Tom and others -- How do you paint these kinds of models? Just a brush and some cheap acrylic paints, or spray paints, or ?
                        >
                        > Jeff B.
                        >

                        > --- In Yorke_Kits@yahoogroups.com, "tomyorkethebigstuff" <tomyorke@> wrote:
                        > >
                        > > A guess at the Ford would be about 1/46 scale. The real wheel base is 112" and the model scales out to 118" in 1/48 scale. About as much off as 1/50 is to 1/48, only in the other direction.
                        > >
                        > > By the way, I've finished mine. It painted up really nice and now looks its age! The cab is metal and the rest is plastic. The tractor looks very nice. Detail is good, but it does look a tad larger than the Athearn one. Why they chose that prototype is beyond me. Remember all those F3's in HO years ago? Every company had to make their own.
                        > >

                        > > Tom

                      • bill davis
                        Message 11 of 17 , Jul 22, 2010
                          Hey Tom,
                          How about some pictures
                          BILL

                          Message 12 of 17 , Jul 22, 2010
                            Eventually Bill. Right now some major work is being done on the dinning room before it falls off! The house was open all day so we are now at a cool 83 in here even with the air cranked. Kind of reminds me of growing up in Hialeah, FL with no air at all in the summer!! Fond memories indeed.

                            Tom