Re: Red Building from newest SketchBook

    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 1, 2010
      Wow Darryl - that was fast! It will look really great in the red and white, should you decide to use those colors. I have finished a pair of Heavy Duty Flats which will carry a 48' cast concrete pipe, however, I am in need of trucks - so it will be a while yet before they are "really" finished. The most difficult part was cutting the 28 triangular gussets for the pair from styrene!

      Thanks for the group photo album. Great idea!

      Tom

      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 2, 2010
        Darryl---

        I agree with Tom---that was fast! And if I'm "seeing what I'm seeing", it
        looks like the wall is built with exposed studs. Correct? I'm also
        impressed with the scale size of the window and door mullions, Did you
        scratchbuild those?

        I'm working on a build of the "Fat Tank" flatcar that's also in Tom's latest
        Sketchbook. A big cylindrical welded-steel tank mounted horizontally on a
        steel-frame flatcar. I'll use it as a water car in work train use on my
        Austin and Northwestern RR (On30). I'm using the neat one-piece frame and
        deck casting that's available from Tom for only 10 bucks. This casting
        matches the common frame that most of the freight/work/crew cars in the
        Sketchbook have. But, like Tom, I'm having to wait on some On30 trucks to
        arrive. In the meantime, I'm proceeding with scratchbuilidng the tank part.
        With the exception of the cast frame/deck, On30 trucks, and Kadee HO
        couplers, this will be a scrounged-up, what-I-have-on-hand build. In the
        same spirit as the prototype that Tom based his design on.

        >I received Tom's latest Sketchbook this week and it is filled with all the
        > usual great ideas for modelbuilding. Lots of rolling stock and a few
        > buildings.
        >
        > I have finished the front of my O scale model based on Tom's Sketchbook
        > drawing of the "Red Building". This is a great false front garage or
        > other
        > small workshop featuring an upside down "picket fence" type of trim on the
        > top.
        >
        > I haven't added the hinges on the door or any signage or even painted it
        > red, but the basic building front is there so you can see what one of the
        > drawings in the new Sketchbook builds into.
        >
        > I started a new photo album called, "2010 Models Built" and put the photo
        > in
        > there.
        >
        > This is a group album that anyone can add to for models they build this
        > year.
        >
        > Maybe this will make it easier to find the new stuff.
        >
        > Here is a link to the new album:

        > Darryl Huffman
        > 12020 Old Seward Highway
        > Anchorage, AK 99515
        > dlhuffman@...
        >
        > Interested in weathering steam? Check out my newest DVD:
        >
        > http://darrylhuffman.50megs.com/whats_new_3.html
        > .

      • Darryl Huffman
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 2, 2010
          Craig,

          The studs are there.

          I have found I can build up a studded frame very quickly and it leaves lots
          of versatility for me in the final weathering.

          Plus, there is never a problem with warping when building this way.

          For the siding itself, I took a sheet of 1/8th inch scribed siding and using
          my Xacto knife, I cut along the grooves as best I could freehand.

          I did not use a steel rule to guide the knife.

          I learned this trick about 30 years ago in an issue of MR.

          I like the way it looks when finished as the gooves are still there and
          there is just enough light coming through to make it look like the wood has
          shrunk as it dried out.

          I will actually back up the siding on the inside with black tar paper so
          there isn't much light actually showing through.

          The windows are bashed from Grandtline castings.

          On the tall vertical window, I made the window opening large enough that the
          entire Grandtline casting would fit between the studs.

          I then cut and glued the same strips of wood used in the sidings onto the
          front of the Grandtline casting and glued the assembly into place.

          This gave the great mullions.

          The door windows were made by cutting off the top half of a larger Grantline
          window casting and gluing it in place and then adding a very thin strip of
          wood across the bottom to match the other three outside parts of the
          windows.

          While I rarely build large buildings in O scale, I do buy some of the very
          largest Grandtline window castings such as used in factories.

          I can then cut out the mullions from those castings and use them to
          scratchbuild windows when needed.

          As it was, the Grandtline castings I had worked fine with just a little
          modification.

          I look forward to seeing your tank car.

          I had noticed Tom had the frames available which should make it a lot easier
          to have a standardized frame.

          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 2, 2010
            Darryl---

            Thanks for sharing how you did the siding and windows. I look forward to
            seeing more as the building progresses.

            Craig