Red Building from newest SketchBook

  • dlhuffman
    Message 1 of 5 , May 31, 2010
      I received Tom's latest Sketchbook this week and it is filled with all the
      usual great ideas for modelbuilding. Lots of rolling stock and a few
      buildings.

      I have finished the front of my O scale model based on Tom's Sketchbook
      drawing of the "Red Building". This is a great false front garage or other
      small workshop featuring an upside down "picket fence" type of trim on the
      top.

      I haven't added the hinges on the door or any signage or even painted it
      red, but the basic building front is there so you can see what one of the
      drawings in the new Sketchbook builds into.

      I started a new photo album called, "2010 Models Built" and put the photo in
      there.

      This is a group album that anyone can add to for models they build this
      year.

      Maybe this will make it easier to find the new stuff.

      Here is a link to the new album:

      12020 Old Seward Highway
      Anchorage, AK 99515
      dlhuffman@...

      Interested in weathering steam? Check out my newest DVD:

      http://darrylhuffman.50megs.com/whats_new_3.html
      .
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 1 5:19 AM
        Wow Darryl - that was fast! It will look really great in the red and white, should you decide to use those colors. I have finished a pair of Heavy Duty Flats which will carry a 48' cast concrete pipe, however, I am in need of trucks - so it will be a while yet before they are "really" finished. The most difficult part was cutting the 28 triangular gussets for the pair from styrene!

        Thanks for the group photo album. Great idea!

        Tom

        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 2 9:15 AM
          Darryl---

          I agree with Tom---that was fast! And if I'm "seeing what I'm seeing", it
          looks like the wall is built with exposed studs. Correct? I'm also
          impressed with the scale size of the window and door mullions, Did you
          scratchbuild those?

          I'm working on a build of the "Fat Tank" flatcar that's also in Tom's latest
          Sketchbook. A big cylindrical welded-steel tank mounted horizontally on a
          steel-frame flatcar. I'll use it as a water car in work train use on my
          Austin and Northwestern RR (On30). I'm using the neat one-piece frame and
          deck casting that's available from Tom for only 10 bucks. This casting
          matches the common frame that most of the freight/work/crew cars in the
          Sketchbook have. But, like Tom, I'm having to wait on some On30 trucks to
          arrive. In the meantime, I'm proceeding with scratchbuilidng the tank part.
          With the exception of the cast frame/deck, On30 trucks, and Kadee HO
          couplers, this will be a scrounged-up, what-I-have-on-hand build. In the
          same spirit as the prototype that Tom based his design on.

          >I received Tom's latest Sketchbook this week and it is filled with all the
          > usual great ideas for modelbuilding. Lots of rolling stock and a few
          > buildings.
          >
          > I have finished the front of my O scale model based on Tom's Sketchbook
          > drawing of the "Red Building". This is a great false front garage or
          > other
          > small workshop featuring an upside down "picket fence" type of trim on the
          > top.
          >
          > I haven't added the hinges on the door or any signage or even painted it
          > red, but the basic building front is there so you can see what one of the
          > drawings in the new Sketchbook builds into.
          >
          > I started a new photo album called, "2010 Models Built" and put the photo
          > in
          > there.
          >
          > This is a group album that anyone can add to for models they build this
          > year.
          >
          > Maybe this will make it easier to find the new stuff.
          >
          > Here is a link to the new album:

          > Darryl Huffman
          > 12020 Old Seward Highway
          > Anchorage, AK 99515
          > dlhuffman@...
          >
          > Interested in weathering steam? Check out my newest DVD:
          >
          > http://darrylhuffman.50megs.com/whats_new_3.html
          > .

        • Darryl Huffman
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 2 10:11 AM
            Craig,

            The studs are there.

            I have found I can build up a studded frame very quickly and it leaves lots
            of versatility for me in the final weathering.

            Plus, there is never a problem with warping when building this way.

            For the siding itself, I took a sheet of 1/8th inch scribed siding and using
            my Xacto knife, I cut along the grooves as best I could freehand.

            I did not use a steel rule to guide the knife.

            I learned this trick about 30 years ago in an issue of MR.

            I like the way it looks when finished as the gooves are still there and
            there is just enough light coming through to make it look like the wood has
            shrunk as it dried out.

            I will actually back up the siding on the inside with black tar paper so
            there isn't much light actually showing through.

            The windows are bashed from Grandtline castings.

            On the tall vertical window, I made the window opening large enough that the
            entire Grandtline casting would fit between the studs.

            I then cut and glued the same strips of wood used in the sidings onto the
            front of the Grandtline casting and glued the assembly into place.

            This gave the great mullions.

            The door windows were made by cutting off the top half of a larger Grantline
            window casting and gluing it in place and then adding a very thin strip of
            wood across the bottom to match the other three outside parts of the
            windows.

            While I rarely build large buildings in O scale, I do buy some of the very
            largest Grandtline window castings such as used in factories.

            I can then cut out the mullions from those castings and use them to
            scratchbuild windows when needed.

            As it was, the Grandtline castings I had worked fine with just a little
            modification.

            I look forward to seeing your tank car.

            I had noticed Tom had the frames available which should make it a lot easier
            to have a standardized frame.

            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 2 1:07 PM
              Darryl---

              Thanks for sharing how you did the siding and windows. I look forward to
              seeing more as the building progresses.

              Craig