Need a tiny electric motor

    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 4, 2010
      Any clues as the where I can find a minute electric motor to power the flywheel of a 1/2" scale Plymouth. It will only be used to power the wheel and not the loco. Must be DC and run off of current from rail pick-up. It cannot be hidden so needs to be tiny to more or less disappear while in plain view! The wheel and shaft weigh basically nothing. Also need roller bearings or some such other bearing in which to mount the shaft.

      Tom
    • Charles Fiero
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 4, 2010

        Do you have any old electronics arouns, like a cassette deck, cd player,
        etc? Might find what you need there and it would be free.

        Charles Fiero

        tomyorkethebigstuff wrote:
        > Any clues as the where I can find a minute electric motor to power the flywheel of a 1/2" scale Plymouth. It will only be used to power the wheel and not the loco. Must be DC and run off of current from rail pick-up. It cannot be hidden so needs to be tiny to more or less disappear while in plain view! The wheel and shaft weigh basically nothing. Also need roller bearings or some such other bearing in which to mount the shaft.

      • Franck Tavernier
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 4, 2010
          Hi Tom,

          Have a look here :

          http://www.nigellawton009.com/MiniMotors.html

          http://www.shop.kkpmo.com/index.php/cat/c31_Small-DC-Motors.html/XTCsid/fff26b52063215e7b2448f8cf3d5d5bc

          Franck

          tomyorkethebigstuff a écrit :

          Any clues as the where I can find a minute electric motor to power the flywheel of a 1/2" scale Plymouth. It will only be used to power the wheel and not the loco. Must be DC and run off of current from rail pick-up. It cannot be hidden so needs to be tiny to more or less disappear while in plain view! The wheel and shaft weigh basically nothing. Also need roller bearings or some such other bearing in which to mount the shaft.

          http://public.fotki.com/FranckTavernier/
        • Darryl Huffman
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 4, 2010

            A second approach you can use with tiny application is to make your flywheel
            out of iron and have a motor with a magnet on it nearby.

            The motor spinning the magnet will make the flywheel spin as well.

            Darryl Huffman
            12020 Old Seward Highway
            Anchorage, AK 99515-3504
            dlhuffman@...

            Interested in weathering? Check out my DVD:
            http://www.darrylhuffman.50megs.com/custom3.html

            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 4, 2010
              Try this........ a 4-mm motor......

              "The late Great Bill Kronenberger introduced these little wonders to
              me. A friend of his took one, clamped it securely in a vise in his
              garage, and hooked up 12 volts to it. Bill told me his friend ran the
              motor 24/7 for over a month. Bill said after that time his friend
              checked the motor for any accessive heat or strange noises and said
              neither were present. WOW!!! Impressive testing!!! Note, test was with
              tungsten weight attached."

              <http://www.trainboard.com/grapevine/showthread.php?t=100632&page=9>
              That one details how to remove unwanted parts of the casing/weights,
              and has several links to gearing.

              <http://www.trainboard.com/railimages/data/500/DSCN5020.JPG>
              the motor in use.

              <http://www.goldmine-elec-products.com/prodinfo.asp?number=G13566&variation=&aitem=1&mitem=1

              the source.

              $1.29 ..........

              [copy and paste links as needed]

              Best to ya,
              Mike Bauers
              Milwaukee, Wi

              On Apr 4, 2010, at 3:28 PM, Franck Tavernier wrote:

              > Hi Tom,
              >
              > Have a look here :
              >
              > http://www.nigellawton009.com/MiniMotors.html
              >
              > http://www.shop.kkpmo.com/index.php/cat/c31_Small-DC-Motors.html/XTCsid/fff26b52063215e7b2448f8cf3d5d5bc
              >
              > Franck
              >
              > tomyorkethebigstuff a écrit :
              >>
              >> Any clues as the where I can find a minute electric motor to power
              >> the flywheel of a 1/2" scale Plymouth. It will only be used to
              >> power the wheel and not the loco. Must be DC and run off of current
              >> from rail pick-up. It cannot be hidden so needs to be tiny to more
              >> or less disappear while in plain view! The wheel and shaft weigh
              >> basically nothing. Also need roller bearings or some such other
              >> bearing in which to mount the shaft.
              >>
              >> Tom
            • Patrick Moore
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 4, 2010

                Look at this one avaiable from On30 downunder (Ozsteam.com)

                Pat Moore

                Any clues as the where I can find a minute electric motor to power the flywheel of a 1/2" scale Plymouth. It will only be used to power the wheel and not the loco. Must be DC and run off of current from rail pick-up. It cannot be hidden so needs to be tiny to more or less disappear while in plain view! The wheel and shaft weigh basically nothing. Also need roller bearings or some such other bearing in which to mount the shaft.

                Tom

              • Ben
                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 5, 2010
                  How about an old *pager* motor?