Re: [Yorke_Kits] painting yorke kits

  • David Tenney
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 15, 2010
      Craig,

         thank you so much for the help!

      Dave

    • lonestarrailway
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 15, 2010
        Tom, I looked at the Freebie section on your site regarding Basic Painting for Resin and Hydrocal Structures and I had a couple of questions.

        You said to wet the casting completely first on your stone wall or brick walls and then you talk about resin regarding wood walls. What about the earlier kits with hydrocal wood walls which are thinner in dimension? Then what about the newer adobe walls as they too seem thinner in demension? Finally, regarding your resin castings and spray priming them. Any retail spray paint as in reacting to the resin in a negative manner or not? Thanks, Bryan

        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 16, 2010
          Let's see if I can answer these Bryan.
          As far as staining Hydrocal walls goes, I wet them all - stone, brick or wood. If it is to be stained, then wet it first as this helps the stain application enter the surface and it also helps spread the stain. As long as you do not soak a wall there is no problem of any sort. There is no need to soak. Just hold the wall under a running faucet or dip into a bucket. That's all you need, just make sure it is all wet. This also works for the adobe walls. It really aids the staining process.

          As far as resin walls and undercoating --
          It is very important to wash the resin parts in alcohol first. This should cut the surface oil that is sometimes present. I then wash with a cleanser and a brush. Rinse and let dry. I have taken to brushing on the undercoat many times instead of spray. Straight acrylic applied with a nice wide, flat brush smoothes out very well. Sometimes there is a reaction to spray paints even on a washed part, so brushing works better for me most of the time. Stains can be applied over this just as you would over a sprayed undercoat. In fact, since this is now an acrylic undercoat, stains take better.

          Edges of resin parts should be slightly rounded as acrylics don't stick to "knife" edges and finish painted parts should be sealed with a dulling, or gloss spray, depending upon their use and the look desired.

          Hope this helps a little.

          Tom