Re: [Yorke_Kits] A question for the group...........

  • MARC WITTEN
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 14, 2009
      Hi Tom,

      Cant remember if its been done but painting brick and stonework and also painting/applying rust to Loco's and Tin Roofs etc.

      regards Marc.

      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 14, 2009
        Thom,
        First, unabashed thanks for countless marvelous kits, in both O and HO. You've provided me with many hours of creative fun, ending in some very satisfactory models.
        I've always relied on the porosity and translucency of plaster with very dilute washes of, initially, toxic Floquil/Diosol, and now, with the joys of cheap craft acrylics. I also love the effect of artists' oils in very dilute mineral spirits washes, as well as the usual powdered pigments and  drybrushing stand-bys.
        With the proliferation of resin structure components,I'm interested in your methods for dealing with the insoluble, opaque nature of that "new" material.  yes, I've sprayed my resin walls with white primer, but it's just not the same. I miss that "magic" whiteness of plaster, under multiple layers of very dilute paints.
        Also, I cannot re-trace my steps in this one, but has anyone experienced a sticky surface on painted resin wall parts? I can't recall the layers I've applied to get this sad result, but would enjoy hearing from others, if they've encountered this. Thanks!
        Bob MItchell
        __,_._
        ,
        _
        __

        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 14, 2009
          Message 4 of 12 , Dec 14, 2009
            tomyorkethebigstuff wrote:

            > I am planning on writing some tutorials for this group to try and get it
            > back on the track for which it was intended. I would like some input as
            > to what information members would like me to cover.

            A long time back you mentioned possibly doing a tutorial on making palm
            trees. I'd love to see this.

            Larry
            --
            Larry Rickert
            Brooklyn, USA

            On30 Resource Center:
            http://on30center.com

            "I can do everything through him who gives me strength."
            - Philippians 4:13
          • MARC WITTEN
            Message 5 of 12 , Dec 14, 2009
              Hi Craig,
              speaking of kitbashing decent priced plastic kits i have 3 plasticville coaling towers,know i would love to see what the furtive mind of the House of Tom Yorke could do with them,now that would be interesting,as all i have seen is changing the roof style,and i think thats by Micro Mark,

              Just a thought regards Marc

              by the way i do like what you proposed.

              >I am planning on writing some tutorials for this group to try and get it
              >back on the track for which it was intended. I would like some input as to
              >what information members would like me to cover.
              >
              > Tom

              Tom---

              I wouldn't mind seeing some more about kitbashing, detailing, painting, and
              weathering some "decent value" plastic buildings. You had posted some
              photos of an O scale depot kit awhile back (partially done). It might have
              been something that you were talking about having some conversion bits for.
              I'm thinking maybe some cross-scale thing (like you did with"Rosita' s" or
              the HO tanks and silos) or some
              Walthers/Ameritowne /MTH/Plasticvill e/whatever "hidden potential" example you
              might know of.

              There's nothing as good as a Yorke (and a few other craftsman kits) or
              scratchbuilt structure. But some of the plastic stuff out there has
              potential--- especially when effectively tweaked, painted, and weathered.

              CraigK

            • Kathy Millatt
              Message 6 of 12 , Dec 15, 2009
                Bob

                I've got the sticky finish too. I used Halfords Car primer followed by art acrylics.

                I'm not sure what to do except dust it all down generously with chalk. I also did a section with floquil which went all sticky. The real pain is that all the parts stick to each other and keep pulling the paint off.

                Kathy
                Message 7 of 12 , Dec 15, 2009
                  --- In Yorke_Kits@yahoogroups.com, "tomyorkethebigstuff" <tomyorke@...> wrote:

                  > I am planning on writing some tutorials for this group to try and get it back on the track for which it was intended. I would like some input as to what information members would like me to cover.
                  >
                  > Tom

                  Thank you all for your answers. I need to be brief here for now as I am packing kits and trying to get them out of here for you.

                  First - sticky resin parts when painted. Resin needs to be washed before it is painted. The resin I use is not harmed by MEK, believe it or not! Alcohol is great for cleaning parts. They should be rubbed with the fluid all over and then washed off with warm, soapy water and left to air dry. If you still get some sticky spots after undercoating, the parts can be left in the sun for a few hours. This seems to work well but is not a substitute for good cleaning.

                  I am working on a loose leaf booklet on the diorama I am now making in O scale standard gauge. It is a small southern town in south Georgia called Quitman. It does use many of my kits (what else am I to do with all of them?) and some plastic structures such as Craig is asking about. I also have a new turret roof for a Cornerstone store and I am working on a round turret also for the same store.

                  The Quitman booklet will be offered as "chapters" as I go. In a few months I should have the first one or maybe two available. The entire display will be covered and all techniques will be covered, even the road surface. There is a major chapter on the MTH Country Depot ( available from Jim's Train Shop at about $36 or so. This is the finest structure that MTH makes thus far and it is well worth the price. I am doing some resin additions to the structure as well as a decal set to convert it into a feed store warehouse. There will also be some pieces for a grain elevator available.

                  Probably the easiest thing I can do first is the finishing of the MTH Baldwin I did a while back. It covers the complete painting and weathering of the unit. I need to shoot some detail photos for it though. The article is all written.

                  Palms - is a good one. That will take some time though as I have nothing ready.

                  Tom
                • rkdanieljr
                  Message 8 of 12 , Dec 16, 2009
                    Larry -

                    I've loaded pics of two different types of palm trees that I'm in the process of making for my Cuban layout. They're in "B Daniel's Yorke Stuff" in the Photos Section. I've been working at the methods for a couple of months and have found much to my delight that I can indeed make palms while watching a football game.

                    I can put together a tutorial while Tom attends to more pressing matters, if there is interest. The ingredients for this endeavor come from my neighbor's pine tree (the branches of the pine are the trunks of the palms) and fairly cheap silk plant fronds available at Michael's or Hobby Lobby or such. Oh yes, the only tool needed is a sharp Exacto knife as well as Goop glue.

                    I'll need until after Christmas as I'm travelling to a half-way "house" (rented a equadistant condo for all members of the family for Christmas)and will be somewhat away for a bit.

                    Let me know interest,
                    Bob Daniel
                    Chelsea, MI

                    Message 9 of 12 , Dec 17, 2009
                      Bob---

                      I'd be interested in learning how you made you palm trees. Also---can you
                      tell me more about the tourist bus seen in your photos? Is that a kitbashed
                      Matchbox Models of Yesteryear or some other stock diecast?

                      CraigK

                      > I've loaded pics of two different types of palm trees that I'm in the
                      > process of making for my Cuban layout. They're in "B Daniel's Yorke Stuff"
                      > in the Photos Section. I've been working at the methods for a couple of
                      > months and have found much to my delight that I can indeed make palms
                      > while watching a football game.
                      >
                      > I can put together a tutorial while Tom attends to more pressing matters,
                      > if there is interest. The ingredients for this endeavor come from my
                      > neighbor's pine tree (the branches of the pine are the trunks of the
                      > palms) and fairly cheap silk plant fronds available at Michael's or Hobby
                      > Lobby or such. Oh yes, the only tool needed is a sharp Exacto knife as
                      > well as Goop glue.
                      >
                      > I'll need until after Christmas as I'm travelling to a half-way "house"
                      > (rented a equadistant condo for all members of the family for
                      > Christmas)and will be somewhat away for a bit.
                      >
                      > Let me know interest,
                      > Bob Daniel
                      > Chelsea, MI

                    • Larry R
                      Message 10 of 12 , Dec 17, 2009
                        Hi Bob,

                        I posted the suggestion because I recalled that Tom had mentioned
                        possibly doing such a tutorial for the group awhile back. Given the
                        eclectic interests of the group I thought this would be a good subject
                        for a tutorial.

                        I'd love to see your method for making palm trees. It sounds very
                        interesting. If you can do so after the holidays I would appreciate it.
                        Take care, and have a blessed Christmas (or whatever holiday you might
                        celebrate) and a great new year.

                        Larry R

                        Message 11 of 12 , Dec 20, 2009

                          Craig/Larry et al-

                          The Touriste Bus is a 1910 Renault from Matchbox Models of Yesteryear. They can be bought on ebay. I got mine at a train show in Ann Arbor. It took a lot of cutting and grinding to get it to where you see it. I've put another picture in the folder to show it close up. I've taken the concept of the Cuban reuse of old vehicles and backdating it to the 1940's, so a 30-year-old vehicle isn't out of place on my layout.

                          I just bought two 1912 Ford Matchbox Models of Yesteryear trucks from my local hardware store for 5 bucks each. That and a 30's limo. Must be reissues. Don't get me started on why the hardware store is selling toys. You should see their food section. Whatever happened to tools? Of course I did buy the cars there. Sigh.

                          Merry Christmas to all,

                          Bob Daniel