On30 Diamond Jubilee Coming!

  • martinkvanhorn
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 4, 2009
      I've always been interested in model railroad history. Over the last 40 years, I've collected complete files of Model Railroader and Model Craftsman (RMC). In 2005, I gave a chronological listing of all On30 articles to Larry Rickert to develop the history on his website. Now, with Larry and Les Davis, I will make a presentation at the Mid-Hudson On30 Meet on the history of On30 gauge.

      While working today to prepare for this, I re-read an article by Hugh Boutell in the April, 1952 Model Railroader. It may have been 57 years since I first and last read that article, but I completely missed the photo caption that tells when Hugh built his first O scale narrow gauge loco to run on HO track. It was in 1935. That means next year, 2010, On30 will be 75 years old, and unless this fact is trumpeted, it will be completely overlooked by those who think On30 got its start in 1960, 1970, 1980, 1990, or when Bachmann made it commercial. There has been a rebirth of interest every decade so all those dates are valid, but not for the founding of our gauge.

      And Hugh, as the first to think of using an established standard gauge in one scale to model narrow gauge in another, larger scale, is sort of a founder of Nn3, HOn30, Sn2, Sn42, and all of the many G "scales". I'm going to try to get the national publications to think about recognizing this milestone in the hobby.

      Martin Van Horn
      Towson, Maryland
    • Stan Knotts
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 6, 2009
        Martin, I had a conversation on this today with Gordon North. In case
        you don't know who Gordon is, he has been in On30 - or as he calls it
        On2 1/2 - since the 1950's. He pointed out that Hugh Boutell did not
        actually model in On30 as while his track was HO gauge, his models were
        a larger scale than "O" giving him effectively a two foot gauge. Gordon
        says that when he started modeling in On2 1/2 there was at least one
        Japanese gentleman he knew of that also modeled in On2 1/2. While he
        makes no claims as to being the "first" On2 1/2 modeler in the US, he is
        as far as we are concerned. Most, if not all, of Gordon's modeling
        articles have appeared in the Narrow Gauge Gazette.

        FWIW

        Stan Knotts

        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 7, 2009
          Stan, we refer to Gordon North here as the "Godfather". He inspired me to get into On30 before Bach. brought out their gems. He is well know by Martin and the rest of the MD Mini Bunch along with most of us who read the Gazette.

          Glad that Martin is doing this history and any anecdotes such as the one you offered are all important to getting an accurate document of our favorite gauge and scale. Thank you,

          Allen NYT