Re: Stains

  • madmike3434
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 18, 2009
      --- In Yorke_Kits@yahoogroups.com, "clark_womack" <star.womack@...> wrote:

      > Having recently re-entered the hobby I would like to know if there are any stains to be had ala the old Floquil Flostains.
      > Clark Womack
      > star.womack@...

      Clark, a place called the ROUNDBELL HOBBY SHOP in texas...houston ??? remade all the old floquil FLO-STAINS. From comparisons that i read the product did not have as much solids in a one ounce bottle and therefor was not exactly the same.

      Dr Ben says his product is as good as the old flo stains, never tried it to compare. You can still see original un-opened bottles of flo-stains appear on ebay. Driftwood commands the $$$, the rest oak...walnut...pine... ect can be had for less. I have them and to tell you the truth if your going to colour hydrocal i have developed a mix using FW acrylic inks and 90--99% pure isopropinal to colour hydrocal plaster.

      Tom Yorke recommends water based craft paints.

      Still have your old C-16 locked up in its box awaiting a weathering attack and re stacking.

      madmike3434
    • Mike Conder
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 20, 2009
        Roundbell started as Bellaire Roundhouse, then Houston Roundhouse and has recently moved to Salida CO and is now DBA Salida Roundhouse. The addy remains:

        www.roundbell.com

        I have his Driftwood and see no differences between his formulations and the long-gone Floquil stains. I recommend them highly.

        Mike Conder
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 20, 2009
          It took a minute for the grey cells to fire, but that is the Weiss brothers, Wayne and John, if
          thirty year old memories are accurate.

          Jace Kahn
          General Manager
          Ceres & Canisteo RR Co./Champlain County Traction Co.