Balsa Foam

  • skinspickens
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 1, 2009
      Thanks for the responses on finding Balsa Foam manufacturer. For any of you that might be using it for carving 1/4" or 1/48 scale walls and structures, or for molds, which specific product of Balsa Foam are you using? I am referring to sizes, depth, and specifically the most useful density(s) of several available.

      Any other suggestions on the use of the Balsa Foam products will be appreciated.
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 3, 2009
        --- In Yorke_Kits@yahoogroups.com, "skinspickens" <will@...> wrote:

        > Thanks for the responses on finding Balsa Foam manufacturer. For any of you that might be using it for carving 1/4" or 1/48 scale walls and structures, or for molds, which specific product of Balsa Foam are you using? I am referring to sizes, depth, and specifically the most useful density(s) of several available.
        >
        > Any other suggestions on the use of the Balsa Foam products will be appreciated.

        I am in the process of doing a major article on techniques and materials in which BalsaFoam is featured. Basically you want to stay away from the light stuff like 3 pound or so. It carves really easily, however, it is way too soft to be strong enough to hold the detail. And because of this you cannot get a lot of detail because it "powders" off. Six to ten pound foam is ideal for carving. Use knives, wood chisel and table saw. The more dense the foam, the stronger it is and the harder it is to work. Stay in the mid ranges. 1/4" if you can get it is ideal for O scale or smaller. I use 1/2" for Hn18 scale (1/2"). Sheets are easiest to work with for structures and blocks will work well for large foundations or abutments and the like. Hope this helps a little.

        Tom
      • UncaDuck50@aol.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 3, 2009
          I am in the process of doing a major article on techniques
          and materials in which BalsaFoam is featured.
          Tom

          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          Will we find the article  in RMC, the On30 & Hon3 Annuals,
          Finescale Railroader, or the Gazette ????

           ( Think positive cash flow !!!  )

          Doug

          @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 4, 2009
            --- In Yorke_Kits@yahoogroups.com, UncaDuck50@... wrote:

            > I am in the process of doing a major article on techniques
            > and materials in which BalsaFoam is featured.
            > Tom

            > Will we find the article in RMC, the On30 & Hon3 Annuals,
            > Finescale Railroader, or the Gazette ????
            >
            > ( Think positive cash flow !!! )
            >

            > Doug

            Doug,
            I will let you know when I do.