Plans for the future

    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 1, 2009
      Iris and I spent a short weekend up in a friend's cabin to rest, regroup and think. The bad part of this is we had to return to "reality" yesterday afternoon. I have been working on everybody else's railroad for over 35 years. I have attempted several false starts on systems of my own only to abort them after some time because of lack of time and of course interests change over time. I now seem to have settled on the Hn18 Grande Barbosa Island Railway. Time is still the issue, however. I recently almost completed a new structure for the town and realized how much fun this was for me. It wasn't completely "non-business" as I was developing some new techniques. During our away time over the weekend I did a lot of thinking. Always a danger! At any rate I have mapped out the course of the commercial work of Thomas A Yorke Design Studio and there are to be some changes made. Retirement is approaching (at last!).

      In St. Louis at the National Narrow Gauge Convention I will debut my final kit. I have thought long and hard on this for some time now and decided that this is the best course for me to take. It will at last give me time to work on my own things without guilt.

      The Frijole Flats and Pepito's series of kits will be finished in the next year and a half. There are at least eight more items to do! The Shovels and ACS #4's are in the works and I was able to make the necessary production molds before we left for the weekend. The HO Rubbles is in the packing stage as is the additional small run of more adobes and the Kitchens. These will all be out very shortly. There is one more HO kit I will produce and there is another designed for another manufacturer for them to produce.

      The last kit will be a big one. It will be in O scale and I will only do 100 kits or however many will be reserved. It will be a very special kit and I will not hold back on it. I am in the design faze right now and have been for quite some time. The evolution of the thing will take much more time on the drawing board and in my dreams but it will finally come together. I can say at this time that it will be a factory and probably of stone construction. The multi-story building will be fairly large (as plaster kits go) and probably will contain perhaps over 100 masters. It will be produced over a year's time and probably will weigh a scale ton. I will ship these kits as I produce them so first on the list will be of course first to get theirs. I cannot guess at a price at this time but it will have to be "up there". I will have some drawings eventually and will start taking "formal" reservations at that time. I'm sure most people will want to know exactly what it looks like and how much it will cost before committing to anything. For those that know what I produce and don't need to see an image before committing, I will take reservations now. Nothing down. I want this kit to be the best that I have ever presented and therefor will pull out all stops. It will be a very special signed and numbered edition. That's about all I can say about it for now except there is about a year and a half to save for it so you are not left out in the cold. The completion of this last kit will coincide with my retirement from the day to day commercial aspect of this hobby/business. I may, after this kit, decide to produce some small kits from time to time because I happen to have a great idea but they will be small and very short runs. I want to spend the rest of my time on the beach of Grande Barbosa.

      Alright, enough typing. It is time to start up packing..........

      Tom
    • Fred Mobley
      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 1, 2009
        Hey Tom,
        Well hate to see you go, but it is probably the best for you. Everyone
        needs time to really enjoy model railroading! Perhaps you can still do
        some plan books.

        I noticed that you did not mention the cemetery kits. Where do they fit
        in the schedule?

        Best of luck

        Fred Mobley

        Learning Centers - Click Here.
        http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2141/fc/BLSrjpTKNdQunqvtol0U1dYa4kKtCBqRt9tmL3G1qjBxgBZXvnFKt4YPqEY/
      • MARC WITTEN
        Message 3 of 13 , Jun 1, 2009
          Hi Tom,
          Hope you and Iris had a wonderfull time,it sounds like it was a real good time,and as you say, "reality" changed all that,i hope that whatever you choose you do it for yoursake,and all i can say in the short time that i have known you its been a pleasure ,and a joy to have some of your kits,many thanks Tom,

          regards Marc.

          Iris and I spent a short weekend up in a friend's cabin to rest, regroup and think. The bad part of this is we had to return to "reality" yesterday afternoon.

          Recent Activity
          Visit Your Group
          Yahoo! News

          Get it all here

          Breaking news to

          entertainment news

          Drive Traffic

          Sponsored Search

          can help increase

          your site traffic.

          Weight Management Group

          on Yahoo! Groups

          Join the challenge

          and lose weight.

          .

          Message 4 of 13 , Jun 1, 2009
            --- In Yorke_Kits@yahoogroups.com, Fred Mobley <fmobley@...> wrote:

            > Hey Tom,
            > Well hate to see you go, but it is probably the best for you. Everyone
            > needs time to really enjoy model railroading! Perhaps you can still do
            > some plan books.
            >
            > I noticed that you did not mention the cemetery kits. Where do they fit
            > in the schedule?
            >
            > Best of luck
            >
            > Fred Mobley

            Fred,
            I haven't left the building yet. Still got a couple more years to go. The Cemeteries will be after the Shovel and ACS kits. They are all cast and just awaiting either assembly or packaging. Still that will take a while. I hope by year's end all that stuff will be out.

            I won't disappear completely from the scene. Plan books, articles and some small kits here and there will still be done, however, I do not want to count on those any longer for a living. I also want to do more custom painting and weathering. I am doing a sample now of an O scale GE 70 ton unit for Atlantic & Western. When I get a couple finished I will start promoting the service, but I am only interested in doing what I call "extreme" weathering and finishing. Diesel repaints and leased units that are a mess. Those are fun to do! Also some rolling stock. But right now it is finishing up the two series I am doing ans a few other things.

            Message 5 of 13 , Jun 1, 2009
              --- In Yorke_Kits@yahoogroups.com, MARC WITTEN <Marc.Witten@...> wrote:

              > Hi Tom,
              > Hope you and Iris had a wonderfull time,it sounds like it was a real good time,and as you say, "reality" changed all that,i hope that whatever you choose you do it for yoursake,and all i can say in the short time that i have known you its been a pleasure ,and a joy to have some of your kits,many thanks Tom,
              >
              > regards Marc.

              Marc,
              Received the package this afternoon. The tourists will be very pleased with their new rentals on the island! Yours goes tomorrow.

              I will still be here in 2 and a half years, but perhaps in a slightly different capacity.

              Tom
            • MARC WITTEN
              Message 6 of 13 , Jun 1, 2009
                Hi Tom,glad to here it arrived okay,and i hope its okay,must admit i like that renault 4cv,it has possibilities,and will look forward to recieving mine,will let you know when it arrives also,many thanks Marc

                > Hope you and Iris had a wonderfull time,it sounds like it was a real good time,and as you say, "reality" changed all that,i hope that whatever you choose you do it for yoursake,and all i can say in the short time that i have known you its been a pleasure ,and a joy to have some of your kits,many thanks Tom,
                >
                > regards Marc.

                Marc,
                Received the package this afternoon. The tourists will be very pleased with their new rentals on the island! Yours goes tomorrow.

                I will still be here in 2 and a half years, but perhaps in a slightly different capacity.

                Tom

              • bendelfia
                Message 7 of 13 , Jun 1, 2009
                  I am new to this group; however, I have been buying and building your kits for years. May I place my name in the pot for the "last" O scale kit you described in your post of today's date? I hope my request to reserve the kit is not improper through this medium. I look forward to retiring myself and devoting more time to my layout--although that season is years away. Thanks for all the great kits and look forward to your next dreams coming into fruition in plaster form.

                  Paul
                • Randy Hees
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jun 1, 2009
                    Tom, I want to gt on the list for the last kit...

                    What is the status for the cars, Pearlite, A frame hoppers etc.

                    Randy
                  • dlhuffman
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jun 1, 2009
                      Paul,

                      It would probably help Tom if you gave him your full name for the
                      reservations.

                      Darryl Huffman
                      12020 Old Seward Highway
                      Anchorage, AK 99515
                      dlhuffman@...

                      > I am new to this group; however, I have been buying and building your
                      > kits for years. May I place my name in the pot for the "last" O scale kit
                      > you described in your post of today's date? I hope my request to reserve
                      > the kit is not improper through this medium. I look forward to retiring
                      > myself and devoting more time to my layout--although that season is years
                      > away. Thanks for all the great kits and look forward to your next dreams
                      > coming into fruition in plaster form.
                      >
                      > Paul
                    • Darby Reeves
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jun 1, 2009
                        Thanks, that is a good idea.  I will provide that info to him in a separate email.  thanks,

                        Paul Reeves
                        Columbia, SC

                        dlhuffman@alaska. com

                        Message 11 of 13 , Jun 2, 2009
                          --- In Yorke_Kits@yahoogroups.com, MARC WITTEN <Marc.Witten@...> wrote:

                          > Hi Tom,glad to here it arrived okay,and i hope its okay,must admit i like that renault 4cv,it has possibilities,and will look forward to recieving mine,will let you know when it arrives also,many thanks Marc

                          Marc,
                          Nothing to do with railroading, but I have seen a three-wheeler with a "cabin" built from just that Citroen! The rear was in tact along with the fenders. The doors were removed and the full roof was used over the two-seater!!

                          tom
                        • whitewaterrr
                          Message 12 of 13 , Jun 2, 2009
                            Tom, I would like to make a reservation for this kit.

                            Will Cheshire
                            11925 W. 66th Place, Unit E
                            Arvada, CO 80004
                          • UncaDuck50@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 13 , Jun 2, 2009
                              Alright, enough typing. It is time to start up packing..... .....

                              Tom
                              Tom & Group -
                              This was posted on an 18" gauge group - interesting stuff !

                              Doug Rowe
                              ( no relation to Jeremy, as far as I know !  )