Re: [Yorke_Kits] Re: Correction facility Railtrucks.....

  • Dave Reed
    Message 1 of 11 , May 13, 2009
      Okay Mr. Yorke...u r on!!
      Thanks to everyone who rplied!! I knew there were rail cars, similar to box or passenger cars converted to this purpose. But I was thinking of a self powered railtruck type unit. To access prisons in the swamps, or mountains...or any area hard to reach. I thought of this after seeing an old photo of an M&A railtruck...small high windows. Put screening on it...parallel bench seats on the walls...some big ol' guards...a screened off front area for the driver....Bingo- you're there!! My question was....is this idea based in reality...at ALL?? I'm thinking.....say, Alaska!! How about Winter, when the only way was sled dogs...or the railway?? Maybe they just escorted them chained and shackled on regular service. But a lot of prisons were OUT THERE...in the middle of nowhere....a railroad might have been the prime access to it....
      Again, Thanks for all the help....and good luck Tom!! Remember, I get the first one!!!!!
      Dave

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 11 , May 14, 2009
        --- In Yorke_Kits@yahoogroups.com, Dave Reed <daver37167@...> wrote:

        > Okay Mr. Yorke...u r on!!
        > Thanks to everyone who rplied!! I knew there were rail cars, similar to box or passenger cars converted to this purpose. But I was thinking of a self powered railtruck type unit. To access prisons in the swamps, or mountains...or any area hard to reach. I thought of this after seeing an old photo of an M&A railtruck...small high windows. Put screening on it...parallel bench seats on the walls...some big ol' guards...a screened off front area for the driver....Bingo- you're there!! My question was....is this idea based in reality...at ALL?? I'm thinking.....say, Alaska!! How about Winter, when the only way was sled dogs...or the railway?? Maybe they just escorted them chained and shackled on regular service. But a lot of prisons were OUT THERE...in the middle of nowhere....a railroad might have been the prime access to it....
        > Again, Thanks for all the help....and good luck Tom!! Remember, I get the first one!!!!!
        > Dave

        Dave,all........
        Whitcomb made a narrow gauge, self powered pay car for South America. This might work as either the pay car or a prison car. Either way, the contents were guarded!

        Tom
      • Dave Reed
        Message 3 of 11 , May 14, 2009
          Tom, That might work....Any photos or drawings of it??
          Dave