RE: [Yorke_Kits] Correction facility Railtrucks.....

  • daniel caso
    Message 1 of 11 , May 13, 2009
      Tom and others:

      I forgot that a couple of years ago, the
      Decauville Museum at Hartkamp (here in Holland) bought
      from a German n.g. line a "coach" (actually no
      windows) that has being used at a German fortress for
      prisoners transport.
      The worse thing is that I forgot I've photographed it
      and that I've also even created a whole photo album in
      one or the other group.
      I'll see if I can find it and will post the link.
      I know I've also seen recently they have also a
      page about it in the museum's site. Later also the
      link or search for Decauville Museum, Hartkamp,
      Holland.

      Daniel

      --- Mike Sigmon <sigmonstainless@...> wrote:

      > In the movie 3:10 to Yuma (Russell Crow) the railcar
      > had a small jail "cage"
      > built in it to take the inmates to Yuma check it out
      > might give you an idea
      >

      > You do not see the car until the end of the movie
      >

      > Mike Sigmon
      >
      > 3584 VALVERDE CIRCLE
      >
      > JACKSONVILLE, FL 32224
      >
      > sigmonstainless@...
      >
      > Office: 904.223.8395
      >
      > fax: 904.992.1784

    • Dave Reed
      Message 2 of 11 , May 13, 2009
        Okay Mr. Yorke...u r on!!
        Thanks to everyone who rplied!! I knew there were rail cars, similar to box or passenger cars converted to this purpose. But I was thinking of a self powered railtruck type unit. To access prisons in the swamps, or mountains...or any area hard to reach. I thought of this after seeing an old photo of an M&A railtruck...small high windows. Put screening on it...parallel bench seats on the walls...some big ol' guards...a screened off front area for the driver....Bingo- you're there!! My question was....is this idea based in reality...at ALL?? I'm thinking.....say, Alaska!! How about Winter, when the only way was sled dogs...or the railway?? Maybe they just escorted them chained and shackled on regular service. But a lot of prisons were OUT THERE...in the middle of nowhere....a railroad might have been the prime access to it....
        Again, Thanks for all the help....and good luck Tom!! Remember, I get the first one!!!!!
        Dave

        ________________________________
        > While watching Hang 'em High the other day, I wondered if the Prison System ever used rail transport to bring/remove/ transfer prisoners?? I was thinking that somewhere, between horsedrawn and busses, that they might have used rail transport. Does anyone know, and have ANY links to pictures that might support this??
        > It sure would make a unique addition to a railroad !!!
        > Any help is appreciated. ...TIA, Dave

        "Spoze I'll have to design one for Frijole Flats!

        Message 3 of 11 , May 14, 2009
          --- In Yorke_Kits@yahoogroups.com, Dave Reed <daver37167@...> wrote:

          > Okay Mr. Yorke...u r on!!
          > Thanks to everyone who rplied!! I knew there were rail cars, similar to box or passenger cars converted to this purpose. But I was thinking of a self powered railtruck type unit. To access prisons in the swamps, or mountains...or any area hard to reach. I thought of this after seeing an old photo of an M&A railtruck...small high windows. Put screening on it...parallel bench seats on the walls...some big ol' guards...a screened off front area for the driver....Bingo- you're there!! My question was....is this idea based in reality...at ALL?? I'm thinking.....say, Alaska!! How about Winter, when the only way was sled dogs...or the railway?? Maybe they just escorted them chained and shackled on regular service. But a lot of prisons were OUT THERE...in the middle of nowhere....a railroad might have been the prime access to it....
          > Again, Thanks for all the help....and good luck Tom!! Remember, I get the first one!!!!!
          > Dave

          Dave,all........
          Whitcomb made a narrow gauge, self powered pay car for South America. This might work as either the pay car or a prison car. Either way, the contents were guarded!

          Tom
        • Dave Reed
          Message 4 of 11 , May 14, 2009
            Tom, That might work....Any photos or drawings of it??
            Dave