Re: [Yorke_Kits] Was American Classics Series #4 Ever Released

  • Steve Hale
    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 13, 2009
      Not yet.
      Steve UK.

      ----- Original Message -----
      From: Elist
      To: Yorke_Kits@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Friday, March 13, 2009 8:08 PM
      Subject: [Yorke_Kits] Was American Classics Series #4 Ever Released

      I know I paid for it. I have the first three but was four ever released?

      Dan

    • michael lynch
      Message 2 of 16 , Mar 13, 2009
        --- In Yorke_Kits@yahoogroups.com,
        Well one of these just sold on ebay for around $75 i think . One other was sold on ebay last nov dec for more $. I think you told me once you only made 50 of them. With that low a production it should be up there in demand $$$$$$ with fsm wilfred bramble #205. LMAO

        For those that do not know, its an all wood kit.
        madmike3434

        "Tom Yorke" <tomyorke@...> wrote:

        > --- In Yorke_Kits@yahoogroups.com, "John Clark" <NYCJDClark@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Tom,
        > > A question for you. Was kit #DE-101 the Depression Era Storefronts Barber Shop kit your first O-Scale kit? It was put out under the Buildin's name by The Train Master, Inc.
        > > John Clark
        > >

        > Yes John it was my first kit. There is a long story connected with it, however, it will remain untold. Suffice it to say that about 10 or 15 of them never were sold. I assume they were just pitched as far as I know!
        >
        > Tom

      • Elist
        Message 3 of 16 , Mar 13, 2009
          At 02:52 PM 3/13/2009, you wrote:

          >--- In
          ><mailto:Yorke_Kits%40yahoogroups.com>Yorke_Kits@yahoogroups.com,
          >Elist <elist@...> wrote:
          > >

          > > I know I paid for it. I have the first three but was four ever released?
          > >
          > > Dan
          > >

          >Dan,
          >Not yet. As soon as I can I am going to do them along with the other
          >two remaining "back" kits.

          No problem. Just wanted to be sure. I just finished up two and three.
          I'll post some pix later.

          Dan

        • John Clark
          Message 4 of 16 , Mar 13, 2009
            It was your very first kit of any scale or your first O-Scale kit? I have always liked the look of the building when I saw the old ads in the Gazette. I recently purchased one of the kits on E Bay for $... well lets just say I now have one in my collection of Yorke kits. The one I bought is #11 of 50. This is the first one of these I have ever seen.
            Thanks for offering such a fine line of kits over the years.
            John Clark
            Columbus, Ohio

            --- In Yorke_Kits@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Yorke" <tomyorke@...> wrote:

            > --- In Yorke_Kits@yahoogroups.com, "John Clark" <NYCJDClark@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Tom,
            > > A question for you. Was kit #DE-101 the Depression Era Storefronts Barber Shop kit your first O-Scale kit? It was put out under the Buildin's name by The Train Master, Inc.
            > > John Clark
            > >

            > Yes John it was my first kit. There is a long story connected with it, however, it will remain untold. Suffice it to say that about 10 or 15 of them never were sold. I assume they were just pitched as far as I know!
            >
            > Tom

          • John Clark
            Message 5 of 16 , Mar 13, 2009
              Darryl,
              I have never seen one of them before and when I saw it on E Bay I had to try to add it to my collection of Yorke kits. I am happy that I won the bidding. Oh well, I guess I don't need to eat this week! LOL!
              I don't know if you remember me or not. You sent me some plans and magazines a few years ago. I have a new iMac now so I can get back on line when I have time. My old computer had pretty much died. It is good to be back.
              John Clark
              Columbus, Ohio

              --- In Yorke_Kits@yahoogroups.com, "Darryl Huffman" <darrylhuffman@...> wrote:

              > John,
              >
              > I remember seeing that kit at Train Masters hobby shop in Encino or Sherman
              > Oaks on Ventura Blvd back about 1972 or so.
              >
              > Long time ago for sure. 35 years. Where did it all go?
              >
              > Darryl Huffman
              > 12020 Old Seward Highway
              > Anchorage, AK 99515
              > dlhuffman@...
              >
              > Interested in building a pile driver?
              > http://darrylhuffman.50megs.com/catalog_2.html

            • Darryl Huffman
              Message 6 of 16 , Mar 13, 2009
                John,

                Hard to forget you as my Dad's best friend was named John Clark. Quite the
                character.

                Glad you are back on line.

                And glad you got the kit.

                Darryl Huffman
                12020 Old Seward Highway
                Anchorage, AK 99515
                dlhuffman@...

                Interested in building a pile driver?
                http://darrylhuffman.50megs.com/catalog_2.html
                > I have never seen one of them before and when I saw it on E Bay I had to
                > try to add it to my collection of Yorke kits. I am happy that I won the
                > bidding. Oh well, I guess I don't need to eat this week! LOL!
                > I don't know if you remember me or not. You sent me some plans and
                > magazines a few years ago. I have a new iMac now so I can get back on line
                > when I have time. My old computer had pretty much died. It is good to be
                > back.
                > John Clark
              • Frank Pearsall
                Message 7 of 16 , Mar 14, 2009
                  Oh Tom...

                  C'mon, tell us the story! This whole internet thing thrives on long
                  stories, innuendo, false rumors, remarks that are completely
                  misinterpreted, passive-aggressive statements, accusations, ad
                  infinitum...

                  Besides, it's fun to curl up with your computer besides a roaring
                  fire... Wait a minute, we don't have a fireplace!

                  Frank

                • UncaDuck50@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 16 , Mar 14, 2009
                    John Clark scriv-
                    Was kit #DE-101 the Depression Era Storefronts
                    Barber Shop kit your first O-Scale kit?
                    ~~~~~~
                    Yes John it was my first kit. There is a long story
                    connected with it, however, it will remain untold.
                    Suffice it to say that about 10 or 15 of them never
                    were sold. I assume they were just pitched as far
                    as I know!

                    Tom
                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    Tom -
                    Since we now seem to be entering another
                    "Depression Era" perhaps a re-do of this kit
                    might be a decent seller.....

                    Doug Rowe
                    Message 9 of 16 , Mar 14, 2009
                      --- In Yorke_Kits@yahoogroups.com, Frank Pearsall <plans@...> wrote:

                      > Oh Tom...
                      >
                      > C'mon, tell us the story! This whole internet thing thrives on long
                      > stories, innuendo, false rumors, remarks that are completely
                      > misinterpreted, passive-aggressive statements, accusations, ad
                      > infinitum...
                      >
                      > Besides, it's fun to curl up with your computer besides a roaring
                      > fire... Wait a minute, we don't have a fireplace!
                      >
                      > Frank

                      Ok, OK. I'll tell you. Settle down in your cumfy chair. Hope the fire is out by now Frank! Next time make sure you have a fireplace!

                      It all started one cold night up in the foot hills above Burbank in a small town known as Tujunga. I was out working in the yard and suddenly a branch fell upon my head, or so I was told. The next day I awoke and decided to become a model railroad manufacturer. The whole kit was designed and manufactured by me at my own cost. The silk screened window graphic was done by a co-worker in Disney Graphics. The kits were sold exclusively through one hobby shop. The advertising was to be split between each party. They would handle the sales and we would split the profit. I believe only 35 kits were delivered. There were two owners of the shop. One was not a model railroader. He was only the money man and handled the books. It was his idea not to pay me but for me to "reinvest" in the shop (which I had no official affiliation) with my profit. This did not sit too well with me. Other projects were in the works including the Argent Tank and the Brick Storefront. When I showed them the Storefront they kind of laughed at it. A plaster cast building. Yeah, right! We parted ways, with me still getting nothing for my initial work and expenditure on the first kit and I believe they threw out the remaining boxes of kits! The joke was on them though because I had offered to do this new work for them. There name would have been on it. They would have owned the line. The rest as they say is history. I must add my only beef was with the "office manager" of the operation. The other partner's hands were kind of tied. The question is did they all live happily ever after?

                      Tom
                    • John Clark
                      Message 10 of 16 , Mar 14, 2009
                        Darryl,
                        I remember you telling me that before. My wife says I am a character, well she says I am something! : )
                        John Clark
                        Columbus, Ohio

                        --- In Yorke_Kits@yahoogroups.com, "Darryl Huffman" <darrylhuffman@...> wrote:

                        > John,
                        >
                        > Hard to forget you as my Dad's best friend was named John Clark. Quite the
                        > character.
                        >
                        > Glad you are back on line.
                        >
                        > And glad you got the kit.
                        >
                        > Darryl Huffman
                        > 12020 Old Seward Highway
                        > Anchorage, AK 99515
                        > dlhuffman@...
                        >
                        > Interested in building a pile driver?
                        > http://darrylhuffman.50megs.com/catalog_2.html

                      • John Clark
                        Message 11 of 16 , Mar 14, 2009
                          I would say that they were idiots. Of course, as the saying goes, hindsight is 20 20! They sure messed up. But all of the rest of us are very lucky that you went on to produce so many fine kits! Thanks for sharing the story with us.
                          John Clark