yorke #108 ROCOPILA shortline stone depot in O

  • michael lynch
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 5, 2008
      I just posted 8 pictures of a built up yorke #108 ROCOPILA DEPOT.
      Pictures are in the photos section under title #108 rocopila depot.

      Prior to this post, i doubt that most people have ever seen the base
      details or any other of the others in a picture in a photograph. I have
      a couple of these older kits and am going to build them up.

      I added larger jewels to the signal. I modified the signal mechanism
      the way it operates from inside. I also added the widows walk railing
      to the roof top for effect. I shortened the roof in the rear, it looked
      too much like the rubbles. I also made a pipe for the signal mast to
      slip into , for when you want to lift the station up to show the
      interior .

      What struck me about this kit was the base and the way it has gravel
      cast into it, kinda neat really , rather than what you would expect
      like cracked concrete or a similar treatment. The interior hardwood
      floor has a gravel box cast into it to place a pot bellied stove on.

      mike
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 5, 2008
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 5, 2008
          --- In Yorke_Kits@yahoogroups.com, "E. Craig Kanewske" <kanewske@...>

          > Thanks for posting the photos. It was interesting to see the base
          > details---I hadn't seen the "gravel" detail before.
          >
          > I like how your etched roofs usually turn out---what I would call
          a "full rust" coloration. Mine usually come out dark gray/dark
          > brown-black/orange-brown. I usually end-up using an acrylic wash
          to give them more of a rust color. I seem to remember you saying
          once that you let your etched pieces dry between sheets of paper
          towel overnight. I'll have to give that a try the next time I get
          the nasty stuff out.
          > Craig Kanewske
          CRAIG....Ah, there is nothing like the smell of feric chloride in the
          morning, to awaken your nasel passages for the rest of the day. LMAO.

          Getting that madmike3434 rusted corregated roofing, totally naturel
          look.
          After you have dipped your full sheet half way into the feric
          chloride and slowly withdraw it, watching the fizzing run down the
          1/2 sheet. Then immediately dip the etched half into a clean
          margerine container filled with HOT water. Then dip other half of
          corregated sheeting into etchant and do same as before into the water
          to neutralize it.

          Now, you have prepared ahead of time a large sheet of that SHOP PAPER
          TOWELLING, that does not have any pattern in it. Just run it under
          the tap to COMPLETELY soak it and then carefully lay it out on a
          sheet of plywood, so there is no creases.
          Put your etched sheet of corregated onto the wet paper towelling.
          Soak another piece and lay that on top of the corregated. Get another
          sheet of plywood and place that on top of everything and weigh it
          down with a brick.

          Leave it under all the coverings until it has completely air dried .
          If you have to peel the corregated off the paper and just place to
          the side to finish a complete open air drying. With this system you
          do not have to use anybodys wonder rusting powders. But if you have
          to use them, use the originator , BRAGDON products. They make a dark
          rust thats perfect and actually the real thing.

          I mark the sheets ( i only use scale 12 ft wide )with a pencil at the
          3 foot mark on the bottom and then just cut them with small sharp
          scissors. I prefer the 12 foot wide because you can always make it
          shorter easily. For instance this roof was 10 foot on the slant so i
          cut the sheet at the 6 foot mark right down the middle. I pencil
          marked it end to end. i marked the roof card at the 6 foot markl and
          simply used white glue to hold the corregated 3' x 6' panels in place.
          The top panels were layered the 1/4" over the lower.

          I paid attention to staggering the joints so nothing lined up. Just
          cut a short one at one end and lay the rest on. I use Clint
          Crows ....BUILDERS IN SCALE corregated , exclusively.
          www.buildersinscale.com i think it is. I also like his raised seam
          metal and his raised seam copper to do roofs. He has some great
          materials on his website and is a real nice guy to do business with.

          madmike3434