RE: [Yorke_Kits] Mexican taking a Siesta....

  • Dave Reed
    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 2, 2008
      Si, Senior!! I weeelll.
      Appreciate the info....am going to call him later this morning!! All I have to do is alter his head to be napping........
      Dave

      Message 2 of 14 , Dec 2, 2008
        That's the old Renwall figure from the cowboy set with fence.

        Tom
      • Dave Reed
        Message 3 of 14 , Dec 2, 2008
          Do we have one I can borrow to cast up?? Get you some freebies for your town scene....!!
          We pressure cast, so they will be awesome....
          Dave

          That's the old Renwall figure from the cowboy set with fence.

          Message 4 of 14 , Dec 2, 2008

            > That's the old Renwall figure from the cowboy set with fence.
            >

            > Tom

            Man, I so missed-out on all of that old Revell/Renwall/Borax era of O scale
            wagons/horses/figures/vehicles....

            Bill Roy/McKenzie Iron has some Southwestern figures----I don't recall him
            doing a "siesta" one---at least not the iconic one we're talking about.

            As a trivial aside---I wonder how that particular image entered our
            cultural "image bank"? It's long been popular in Texas as "yard art" and
            cheesy racial-stereotype postcards. I wouldn't be surprised if it
            originated in some Disney 'toon.

            Ever try to SLEEP in that posture? Doesn't work for me.

            Craig Kanewske
          • Westfield Weavers
            Message 5 of 14 , Dec 2, 2008
              Craig,

              When I was a kid I was a big fan of all the westerns on TV so I saved up and bought some of the Revell wagon kits. Years later, as a seasoned citizen, I rebought them on ebay (in the 50's they were .98/kit)and use them on my layout from time to time.
              You will spend more time painting and weathering than gluing them together. The details are sharp!!

              Colin Claxon

              Message 6 of 14 , Dec 2, 2008
                Colin---

                I can remember as a young kid (in the 50's) saving-up my allowance (and
                maybe box tops) and sending off for a "wagon train" set.

                Based on what I had seen on TV (or the box ad art), I had myself convinced
                that I was going to get this really BIG neat, colorful stagecoach with
                cowboy figures and a horse team that were going to come charging out of the
                box and race off across the kitchen floor---prancin' and shootin' and
                whoopin' and holler' all by themselves.

                Boy, was I disappointed. Small. All brown plastic. Lifeless---not a hint
                of self-animation to any of it. I was too young to make the "pretend" leap
                that would later be so natural in playing with plastic solders, cowboys and
                indians.

                Probably was O scale. Probably was one of the Revell kits. Another lost
                treasure from childhood.

                Message 7 of 14 , Dec 2, 2008
                  > Man, I so missed-out on all of that old Revell/Renwall/Borax era of O scale
                  > wagons/horses/figures/vehicles....
                  >
                  > Bill Roy/McKenzie Iron has some Southwestern figures----I don't recall him
                  > doing a "siesta" one---at least not the iconic one we're talking about.
                  >
                  > As a trivial aside---I wonder how that particular image entered our
                  > cultural "image bank"? It's long been popular in Texas as "yard art" and
                  > cheesy racial-stereotype postcards. I wouldn't be surprised if it
                  > originated in some Disney 'toon.
                  >
                  > Ever try to SLEEP in that posture? Doesn't work for me.
                  >
                  > Craig Kanewske

                  I had the Medicine Wagon that I turned into a Hearse. Still have it somewhere in my junk.
                  Also got a (40) Mule Team and wagons stashed. To be sure that figure is a stereotype for
                  sure. I remember years ago (60's?) somebody wrote to MR and complained about
                  stereotype sleeping Mexican figures. Might have been after a John Allen article.

                  Tom
                • Phil Morrow
                  Message 8 of 14 , Dec 2, 2008
                    --- In Yorke_Kits@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Yorke" <tomyorke@...> wrote:

                    ......... To be sure that figure is a stereotype for sure. I remember
                    years ago (60's?) somebody wrote to MR and complained about stereotype
                    sleeping Mexican figures. Might have been after a John Allen article.

                    > Tom

                    Actually there was a big stink in MR over Malcolm Furlow placing such a
                    figure on one his modules.

                    Pretentious rubbish me thinks.

                    Cheers
                    Phil Morrow
                    Message 9 of 14 , Dec 3, 2008
                      --- In Yorke_Kits@yahoogroups.com, "Phil Morrow" <pmo77304@...> wrote:

                      > --- In Yorke_Kits@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Yorke" <tomyorke@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > ......... To be sure that figure is a stereotype for sure. I remember
                      > years ago (60's?) somebody wrote to MR and complained about stereotype
                      > sleeping Mexican figures. Might have been after a John Allen article.
                      > >
                      > > Tom
                      > >
                      > Actually there was a big stink in MR over Malcolm Furlow placing such a
                      > figure on one his modules.
                      >
                      > Pretentious rubbish me thinks.
                      >
                      > Cheers
                      > Phil Morrow

                      Oh yes! Now I remember. Wasn't quite that far back.

                      Tom
                    • Terry Murphy
                      Message 10 of 14 , Dec 3, 2008
                        People that don't like the sleeping Mexican, need to take a nap!

                        Terry
                        Idaho