Mexican taking a Siesta....

  • daver37167
    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 1, 2008
      Does anyone know of ANY O scale Mexican figures?? I would like one
      sitting, knees bent, head on knees wearing a Sombrero.....the typical
      siesta pose. But I can work with almost anything I can find....
      I'm wondering if any commercial O scale manufacturer or the Homies
      series has a figure in that pose??
      Thanks for any help you can offer......
      Dave
    • Jerry Chose
      Message 2 of 14 , Dec 2, 2008
        Look at the funandgames website. Ther is one sitting Mexican fiure with sombrero.

        Jerry

        To: Yorke_Kits@yahoogroups.comFrom: daver37167@...: Tue, 2 Dec 2008 02:47:09 +0000Subject: [Yorke_Kits] Mexican taking a Siesta....

        Does anyone know of ANY O scale Mexican figures?? I would like one sitting, knees bent, head on knees wearing a Sombrero.....the typical siesta pose. But I can work with almost anything I can find....I'm wondering if any commercial O scale manufacturer or the Homies series has a figure in that pose??Thanks for any help you can offer......Dave

      • Craig Palmer
        Message 3 of 14 , Dec 2, 2008
          yes but does he have a sister?

          CraigP

          Message 4 of 14 , Dec 2, 2008
            I went looking for his sister but didn't find her. The web site is www.scalefigures.com. It's only fun & games fromr the NMRA directory. Let us know if you find his sister.

            Jerry

            To: Yorke_Kits@yahoogroups.comFrom: daver37167@...: Tue, 2 Dec 2008 02:47:09 +0000Subject: [Yorke_Kits] Mexican taking a Siesta....

            Does anyone know of ANY O scale Mexican figures?? I would like one sitting, knees bent, head on knees wearing a Sombrero.....the typical siesta pose. But I can work with almost anything I can find....I'm wondering if any commercial O scale manufacturer or the Homies series has a figure in that pose??Thanks for any help you can offer......Dave

          • Dave Reed
            Message 5 of 14 , Dec 2, 2008
              Si, Senior!! I weeelll.
              Appreciate the info....am going to call him later this morning!! All I have to do is alter his head to be napping........
              Dave

              http://clk.atdmt com/MRT/go/ 127032869/ direct/01/

              Message 6 of 14 , Dec 2, 2008
                That's the old Renwall figure from the cowboy set with fence.

                Tom
              • Dave Reed
                Message 7 of 14 , Dec 2, 2008
                  Do we have one I can borrow to cast up?? Get you some freebies for your town scene....!!
                  We pressure cast, so they will be awesome....
                  Dave

                  That's the old Renwall figure from the cowboy set with fence.

                  Message 8 of 14 , Dec 2, 2008

                    > That's the old Renwall figure from the cowboy set with fence.
                    >

                    > Tom

                    Man, I so missed-out on all of that old Revell/Renwall/Borax era of O scale
                    wagons/horses/figures/vehicles....

                    Bill Roy/McKenzie Iron has some Southwestern figures----I don't recall him
                    doing a "siesta" one---at least not the iconic one we're talking about.

                    As a trivial aside---I wonder how that particular image entered our
                    cultural "image bank"? It's long been popular in Texas as "yard art" and
                    cheesy racial-stereotype postcards. I wouldn't be surprised if it
                    originated in some Disney 'toon.

                    Ever try to SLEEP in that posture? Doesn't work for me.

                    Craig Kanewske
                  • Westfield Weavers
                    Message 9 of 14 , Dec 2, 2008
                      Craig,

                      When I was a kid I was a big fan of all the westerns on TV so I saved up and bought some of the Revell wagon kits. Years later, as a seasoned citizen, I rebought them on ebay (in the 50's they were .98/kit)and use them on my layout from time to time.
                      You will spend more time painting and weathering than gluing them together. The details are sharp!!

                      Colin Claxon

                      Message 10 of 14 , Dec 2, 2008
                        Colin---

                        I can remember as a young kid (in the 50's) saving-up my allowance (and
                        maybe box tops) and sending off for a "wagon train" set.

                        Based on what I had seen on TV (or the box ad art), I had myself convinced
                        that I was going to get this really BIG neat, colorful stagecoach with
                        cowboy figures and a horse team that were going to come charging out of the
                        box and race off across the kitchen floor---prancin' and shootin' and
                        whoopin' and holler' all by themselves.

                        Boy, was I disappointed. Small. All brown plastic. Lifeless---not a hint
                        of self-animation to any of it. I was too young to make the "pretend" leap
                        that would later be so natural in playing with plastic solders, cowboys and
                        indians.

                        Probably was O scale. Probably was one of the Revell kits. Another lost
                        treasure from childhood.

                        Message 11 of 14 , Dec 2, 2008
                          > Man, I so missed-out on all of that old Revell/Renwall/Borax era of O scale
                          > wagons/horses/figures/vehicles....
                          >
                          > Bill Roy/McKenzie Iron has some Southwestern figures----I don't recall him
                          > doing a "siesta" one---at least not the iconic one we're talking about.
                          >
                          > As a trivial aside---I wonder how that particular image entered our
                          > cultural "image bank"? It's long been popular in Texas as "yard art" and
                          > cheesy racial-stereotype postcards. I wouldn't be surprised if it
                          > originated in some Disney 'toon.
                          >
                          > Ever try to SLEEP in that posture? Doesn't work for me.
                          >
                          > Craig Kanewske

                          I had the Medicine Wagon that I turned into a Hearse. Still have it somewhere in my junk.
                          Also got a (40) Mule Team and wagons stashed. To be sure that figure is a stereotype for
                          sure. I remember years ago (60's?) somebody wrote to MR and complained about
                          stereotype sleeping Mexican figures. Might have been after a John Allen article.

                          Tom
                        • Phil Morrow
                          Message 12 of 14 , Dec 2, 2008
                            --- In Yorke_Kits@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Yorke" <tomyorke@...> wrote:

                            ......... To be sure that figure is a stereotype for sure. I remember
                            years ago (60's?) somebody wrote to MR and complained about stereotype
                            sleeping Mexican figures. Might have been after a John Allen article.

                            > Tom

                            Actually there was a big stink in MR over Malcolm Furlow placing such a
                            figure on one his modules.

                            Pretentious rubbish me thinks.

                            Cheers
                            Phil Morrow
                            Message 13 of 14 , Dec 3, 2008
                              --- In Yorke_Kits@yahoogroups.com, "Phil Morrow" <pmo77304@...> wrote:

                              > --- In Yorke_Kits@yahoogroups.com, "Tom Yorke" <tomyorke@> wrote:
                              > >
                              > ......... To be sure that figure is a stereotype for sure. I remember
                              > years ago (60's?) somebody wrote to MR and complained about stereotype
                              > sleeping Mexican figures. Might have been after a John Allen article.
                              > >
                              > > Tom
                              > >
                              > Actually there was a big stink in MR over Malcolm Furlow placing such a
                              > figure on one his modules.
                              >
                              > Pretentious rubbish me thinks.
                              >
                              > Cheers
                              > Phil Morrow

                              Oh yes! Now I remember. Wasn't quite that far back.

                              Tom
                            • Terry Murphy
                              Message 14 of 14 , Dec 3, 2008
                                People that don't like the sleeping Mexican, need to take a nap!

                                Terry
                                Idaho