Life-Like engine at Walthers....

  • daver37167
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 28, 2008
      In the newest Walthers flyer, there is an old time Tea Kettle Steam
      loco-standard DC on sale for $19.95. With a replacement cab and some
      details, it would be nice for On30.
      My question....does anyone know if it runs worth a flip?? I haven't had
      anything from Life-Like in years...and they weren't that good back
      then!! But it does look promising!!
      Any thoughts...comments from y'all??
      TIA, Dave
    • JGG KahnSr
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 28, 2008
        That does seem awfully cheap, so unless it is a closeout, it is hard to imagine it is the same quality as, say,
        the Bachmann HO coming out of the PRC, which lists well over $100 each. On the other hand, I too remember
        LifeLike as crude and cheesy recycling of wornout Varney dies.
        Nonetheless, LifeLike has some very nice looking Proto 2000 imports in HO.
        Jace Kahn

        General Manager
        Ceres & Canisteo RR Co./Champlain County Traction Co.

        > In the newest Walthers flyer, there is an old time Tea Kettle Steam
        > loco-standard DC on sale for $19.95. With a replacement cab and some
        > details, it would be nice for On30.
        > My question....does anyone know if it runs worth a flip?? I haven't had
        > anything from Life-Like in years...and they weren't that good back
        > then!! But it does look promising!!
        > Any thoughts...comments from y'all??
        > TIA, Dave

      • Dave Reed
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 28, 2008
          Jace, It's on page 29 of the newest flyer(lower right corner). It says it lists for $32.98...sale is $19.98 in B&O black/maroon....I guess Walthers owns Life-Like now....but still am hoping someone has an idea of it....worth it or not??
          Dave

          http://clk.atdmt com/MRT/go/ msnnkwxp10200931 75mrt/direct/ 01/

        • UncaDuck50@aol.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 29, 2008
            In the newest Walthers flyer, there is an old time Tea Kettle Steam
            > loco-standard DC on sale for $19.95. With a replacement cab and some
            > details, it would be nice for On30.
            > My question.... My question....<WBR>does anyone know if it runs worth a
            > anything from Life-Like in years...and they weren't that good back
            > then!! But it does look promising!!
            > Any thoughts...comments from y'all??
            > TIA, Dave
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
            Dave-
            Check out <_www.trainworld.com_ (http://www.trainworld.com) > - (the 4
            page ads in Model Railroader)

            They offer the same loco for even less, as I recall.... - also the Proto 2000
            diseasels for pretty cheap- I picked up an Alco FA-FB set for $39 to bash
            into On30 doodlebugs- 2 locos for $40 makes cheap bash fodder.

            Their shipping charges are about normal, I usually wait until I'm ready
            to buy several items.....

            Unca John Weigely, on the other hand, offers both great service before
            & AFTER the sale, & VERY reasonable shipping on Bachmann Items
            _http://www.peterbororr.com/_ (http://www.peterbororr.com/)

            No affiliation with either, other than satisfied customer.

            Doug Rowe

          • Larry R
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 29, 2008
              daver37167 wrote:

              > In the newest Walthers flyer, there is an old time Tea Kettle Steam
              > loco-standard DC on sale for $19.95. With a replacement cab and some
              > details, it would be nice for On30.
              > My question....does anyone know if it runs worth a flip?? I haven't had
              > anything from Life-Like in years...and they weren't that good back
              > then!! But it does look promising!!
              > Any thoughts...comments from y'all??
              > TIA, Dave

              Hi Dave,

              I see that no one responded with any actual experience with this loco.
              You might want to try the On30 and On30 Conspiracy groups with your
              question. These are On30 specific groups with ALOT of members who do
              quite a bit of loco bashing.

              If you ever do get some feedback from anyone on this locos' running
              qualities please let us know. I'm curious myself.

              Larry
              --
              Larry Rickert
              Brooklyn, USA

              On30 Resource Center:
              http://on30center.com

              "I can do everything through him who gives me strength."
              - Philippians 4:13
            • Dave Reed
              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 29, 2008
                Thanks Doug!! I ordered one from my LHS....he will match the sale price and give me our club discount. With tax, I'm at around $19.95....I'll take that and go!!
                Dave

                ************ **Looking for simple solutions to your real-life financial
                calculators. (http://www.walletpo p.com/?NCID= emlcntuswall0000 0001)