Re: YorkCountyFamilies: Independence Day Genealogy

  • Greg Littlefield
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 4, 2007
      David Sylvester wrote:

      > Members,
      >
      > In the U.S.A. we celebrate the Independence of our nation every July 4.
      >
      > Tell us a story about the hero or heroine in your ancestry. Was he
      > a soldier? Was she a nurse? A leader? A wife or other family member
      > who stayed home to run the farm? A political leader? A patriot?

      David,

      I descend from Joseph Littlefield of Wells (Son of Ithamar, Sr.) and
      don't have a lot of information about his service during the
      Revolutionary war other than the company to which he belonged. I have
      it on my website, but there isn't much.

      I also descend from Rev. Nathaniel Whitaker, a staunch anti-Torry who
      preached all through the colonies at the time of the Revolution. He
      wrote a sermon about his stance and I have it here:

      http://www.littlefieldhistory.com/whitaker/Torryism1.html

      He never lived in York County, but helped to raise funds to begin what
      is now Dartmouth College.

      Greg