Independence Day Genealogy

  • David Sylvester
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 3 3:22 PM
      Members,

      In the U.S.A. we celebrate the Independence of our nation every July 4.

      Tell us a story about the hero or heroine in your ancestry. Was he
      a soldier? Was she a nurse? A leader? A wife or other family member
      who stayed home to run the farm? A political leader? A patriot?

      If your ancestor helped to win Independence in another land we'd
      like to hear about him or her.

      If your ancestor was instrumental in gaining Independence in any
      other way tell us that story.

      If your ancestor does not fit any of the above criteria but was
      just plain Independent we'd love to hear about that one! :)

      I look forward to hearing your story.

      David

      http://www.feliixplace.com/genealogylists/yorkcountyfamilies.html
    • Greg Littlefield
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 4 4:05 PM
        David Sylvester wrote:

        > Members,
        >
        > In the U.S.A. we celebrate the Independence of our nation every July 4.
        >
        > Tell us a story about the hero or heroine in your ancestry. Was he
        > a soldier? Was she a nurse? A leader? A wife or other family member
        > who stayed home to run the farm? A political leader? A patriot?

        David,

        I descend from Joseph Littlefield of Wells (Son of Ithamar, Sr.) and
        don't have a lot of information about his service during the
        Revolutionary war other than the company to which he belonged. I have
        it on my website, but there isn't much.

        I also descend from Rev. Nathaniel Whitaker, a staunch anti-Torry who
        preached all through the colonies at the time of the Revolution. He
        wrote a sermon about his stance and I have it here:

        http://www.littlefieldhistory.com/whitaker/Torryism1.html

        He never lived in York County, but helped to raise funds to begin what
        is now Dartmouth College.

        Greg