33Resource: Linkpendium.com

  • David Sylvester
    Jul 21, 2006
      Hi List,

      There's a great new resource for genealogists on the web that I
      wanted to tell you about. It's called Linkpendium.com and it's
      Free! I was going to write an article about it but I found that
      Dick Eastman had already written a nice article about the site in
      his newsletter at
      . Since Dick has always given me permission to post his articles to
      mailing lists I'm taking the liberty of including it here in it's

      FYI: Linkpendium.com links back from it's York County page
      http://www.linkpendium.com/genealogy/USA/ME/York/ to our list homepage.

      I hope you find this site helpful in your search.

      David Sylvester
      York County Families Listowner

      One of the great unsung genealogy resources on the Web is
      Linkpendium. It is a compendium of links to U.S. genealogy-related
      information on the World Wide Web. Its home page proclaims that it
      presently contains links to 4,987,236 genealogy sites.

      Linkpendium was developed by Karen Isaacson and Brian Leverich, the
      same two people who created RootsWeb some years ago. RootsWeb was
      eventually acquired by MyFamily.com, the same company that operates
      Ancestry.com and Genealogy.com. Obviously, Karen and Brian have not
      been sitting on their hands since their RootsWeb days. They seem to
      be indexing all sorts of genealogy information on the Internet.
      Linkpendium has been online for close to three years now but
      doesn't seem to receive much publicity.

      At first glance, Linkpendium would appear to be a competitor of
      Cyndi's List (which I love and use often). However, once you enter
      Linkpendium, you quickly realize that it is a very different kind
      of service. Cyndi's List contains 150 different categories,
      including Beginners, Biographies, Births & Baptisms, Calendars,
      CD-ROM disks, Clothing & Costumes, Family Bibles, Famous People and
      many, many more categories. On the other hand, Linkpendium focuses
      on U.S. state, county, and local resources as well as surnames.
      Linkpendium doesn't have links to genealogy software or to
      calendars. As a comparison, I would suggest that Cyndi's List
      contains a broad range of categories whereas Linkpendium is much
      more focused. In addition, Linkpendium seems to go much deeper into
      those areas of its interests.

      The Linkpendium links to family surnames are extensive. All the
      links point to other web sites, and the quality of those other web
      sites obviously varies. I found that quite a few of the links that
      I tried led to message boards that seem to be inactive. A few led
      to very active messages boards on RootsWeb, GenCircles, and

      Linkpendium's real strength is its pointers to resources at the
      county level of all U.S. states. I suspect that is where the
      majority of links are to be found. Indeed, I looked at Penobscot
      County, Maine, as it is one county where I have significant
      expertise. I was pleasantly surprised at the number of links there,
      including many that I had never seen before. The list included
      links to many cemetery transcriptions as well as to city
      directories, published town histories, buildings listed in the
      National Register of Historic Places, land records, libraries,
      museums, mailing lists, maps, online obituaries, genealogy and
      historical societies, and quite a bit more. In my casual perusal of
      several other counties in other states, I saw similar lists.

      Linkpendium also has excellent lists at the state level in addition
      to those listed under each county. However, the site seems to focus
      heavily on county resources. I found no information for locations
      outside the U.S.

      In short, if you are looking for U.S. genealogy or history web
      sites and resources, Linkpendium should be on your checklist of
      places to look. You will find many links there. In fact, you will
      find more than two million of them.

      To see for yourself, go to http://www.linkpendium.com

      A Onelist-Yahoogroups Listowner since 1998

      David Sylvester
      28 North Searsport Road
      Searsport, Maine 04974