Yoga Sutras 3.7-3.8: Internal is Seen to be External

  • Swami Jnaneshvara Bharati
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 31, 2007
      Yoga Sutras 3.7-3.8
      INTERNAL IS SEEN TO BE EXTERNAL
      http://www.swamij.com/yoga-sutras-30708.htm

      ************************
      YOGA SUTRAS 3.7-3.8:
      ************************

      These three practices of concentration (dharana), meditation
      (dhyana), and samadhi are more intimate or internal than the previous
      five practices. However, these three practices are external, and not
      intimate compared to nirbija samadhi, which is samadhi that has no
      object, nor even a seed object on which there is concentration.

      SKIN IS SEEN AS THE BOUNDARY:

      The skin of our body is usually seen as the boundary line between
      inner and outer; the world is out there, and the aspects of me are in
      here. In the beginning, it seems as if stilling the body, calming the
      breath, and dealing with the senses are inner practices.

      THE BOUNDARY SYSTEMATICALLY MOVES INWARD:

      However, the perceptual boundary line itself moves inward as we move
      along the steps of meditation. Once you move past the stilling of the
      physical body and are well absorbed in awareness of the breathing
      process, it starts to seem as if the body itself is external, or out
      there. When attention moves further inward, beyond the breath and
      into the sensory processes of the mind, both the body and breath are
      external, or out there.

      BODY, BREATH, AND SENSES ARE EXTERNAL:

      Once the mind truly begins to be concentrated (dharana, 3.1), the
      perceptual boundary between inner and outer has moved significantly
      inward. The body, breath, and the sensory process themselves, all
      three, seem to be external or out there, while we are at a doorway of
      the deeper realities that now seem to be the only realities left,
      which are internal or in here (3.7).

      MEDITATION AND SAMADHI BECOME EXTERNAL:

      Compared to the seedless samadhi (nirbija), the boundary line moves
      so far inward that even concentration, meditation and the lower
      samadhis are external (3.8).

      ************************
      YOGA SUTRA 3.7:
      ************************

      These three practices of concentration (dharana), meditation
      (dhyana), and samadhi are more intimate or internal than the previous
      five practices.
      (trayam antar angam purvebhyah)

      trayam = these three
      antar = more internal, inner, intimate
      angam = rungs, limbs, accessories, components, steps, parts, members,
      constituents (2.28)
      purvebhyah = preceding, previous

      OUTER AWARENESS FALLS AWAY:

      When asana (postures), pranayama (breath/prana), senses (pratyahara)
      are seen to be external, they have been left behind, and fall away
      from awareness. This is much like the way the external world seems to
      vanish for us when we are intimately involved with our body and
      breath awareness practices. It is as if the body, breath, and senses
      no longer exist for us; we have gone beyond them, now truly entering
      into the mind field. The mind field is now perceived in a very
      different way, compared to the noisy, monkey mind when earlier trying
      to just sit still.

      CONCENTRATION, MEDITATION, AND SAMADHI ARE INTIMATE:

      When asana, pranayama, and pratyahara (body, breath, senses) fall
      away, or are left behind, then concentration (dharana), meditation
      (dhyana), and samadhi are seen as quite intimate or internal. The
      boundary line between out there and in here has significantly
      shifted; we are now ready to explore the subtler realities, and to
      begin the process of setting those aside as well (vairagya, non-
      attachment, 1.15-1.16), still seeking the eternal Self at the core of
      our being (1.3).

      ************************
      YOGA SUTRA 3.8:
      ************************

      However, these three practices are external, and not intimate
      compared to nirbija samadhi, which is samadhi that has no object, nor
      even a seed object on which there is concentration.
      (tad api bahir angam nirbijasya)

      tad = these, they
      api = even, also, compared to
      bahir = outer, external
      angam = rungs, limbs, accessories, components, steps, parts, members,
      constituents
      nirbijasya = seedless samadhi, having no seed (nir = without; bijah =
      seed) (1.51)

      DHARANA, DHYANA, AND SAMADHI ALSO BECOME EXTERNAL:

      The three part process of concentration, meditation, and samadhi are
      practiced in relation to objects. Nirbija samadhi is seedless samadhi
      (1.51), and has no object, not even the tiniest seed of an object.
      From the vantage point of this seedless samadhi, the process of
      samyama (dharana, dhyana, samadhi) comes to be seen as external, just
      like happened in the case of the first five rungs, as mentioned in
      the last sutra (3.7). Thus, eventually, all eight rungs of the Yoga
      Sutras come to be seen as external practices, when considered in
      relation to nirbija samadhi.

      SEE ALSO the article:
      Bindu: Pinnacle of Yoga, Vedanta and Tantra

      http://www.swamij.com/yoga-sutras.htm