Yoga Sutra 2.8: The coloring (klesha) of Aversion (Dvesha)

  • Swami Jnaneshvara Bharati
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 12, 2006
      Yoga Sutras: Yoga Sutra 2.8
      THE COLORING (KLESHA) OF AVERSION (DVESHA)
      http://www.swamij.com/yoga-sutras-20109.htm#2.8

      YOGA SUTRA 2.8: Aversion (dvesha) is a modification that results from
      misery associated with some memory, whereby the three modifications
      of aversion, pain, and the memory of the object or experience are
      then associated with one another.
      (dukha anushayi dvesha)

      dukha = pain, sorrow, suffering
      anushayi = sequential attraction to, closely following, secondary
      accompaniment, resting on
      dvesha = aversion or pushing away, hatred
      Aversion is a form of attachment: Aversion is actually another form
      of attachment. It is what we are trying to mentally push away, but
      that pushing away is also a form of connection, just as much as
      attachment is a way of pulling towards us.

      AVERSION IS A NATURAL PART OF THE MIND: Dvesha actually seems to be a
      natural part of the universal process, as we build a precarious
      mental balance between the many attractions and the many aversions.

      AVERSION IS BOTH SURFACE AND SUBTLE: It is important to remember that
      aversion can be very subtle, and that this subtlety will be revealed
      with deeper meditation. However, it is also quite visible on the more
      surface level as well. It is here, on the surface that we can begin
      the process of witnessing our aversions.

      AVERSION CAN BE EASIER TO NOTICE THAN ATTACHMENT: In relation to
      individual thought patterns, aversion is one of the two colorings
      that is most easily seen, along with attachment. Actually, aversion
      can be easier to notice than attachment, in that there is often an
      emotional response, such as anger, irritation, or anxiety. Such an
      emotional response may be mild or strong. Because of these kinds of
      this aspect of witnessing can be very easily done right in the middle
      of daily life, along with meditation time.

      ATTENUATING THE COLORINGS: Notice the process of attenuating the
      colorings in the next section. To follow this attenuating process, it
      is first necessary to be aware of the colorings, such as aversion and
      attachment. Gradually, through the attenuating process, we truly can
      become a witness to the entire stream of the thinking process. This
      sets the stage for deeper meditation.

      BREAKING THE ALLIANCE: Three types of modifications of mind are
      mentioned in this sutra: aversion, memory, and sequence of memory. To
      break the alliance between these, and between seer and seen is the
      key to freedom from the bondage of karma in relation to aversion.
      Breaking of such alliances is discussed in upcoming sutras (2.12-
      2.25).

      http://www.swamij.com