OCTOBER 25, 2013 - Abhyasa Ashram Activities update

  • swamijb
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 26, 2013

      Abhyasa Ashram Newsletter:
      Local activities, online meetings and other programs
      Update: October 25, 2013
      Abhyasa Ashram

      School of Self-Awareness in the
      tradition of the Himalayan masters
      505 Hooper Drive NW
      Fort Walton Beach, FL 32548
      850-226-6035

      ABHYASA ASHRAM NEWSLETTER
      Abhyasa Ashram is a monastery and meditation center which practices universal meditation as taught by the ancient lineage of yogis of the cave monasteries of the Himalayas, especially as transmitted through Swami Rama. The tradition has no name, and is not affiliated with any of the institutions or religions of the plains of India or other countries surrounding the Himalayas, although individual meditators may personally align themselves with a wide variety of religions or institutions. We may refer to the tradition as "the tradition of the Himalayan masters" or "the Himalayan tradition", but that is for the sake of convenience, and is not a style or brand name as is popular these days. Our methods of meditation and contemplation involve systematic awareness of all levels of our being, including actions/senses, body, breath, mind, finally resting in the awareness of the Self (atman) which is one with the universal Self (brahman). At Abhyasa Ashram we have aspirant training, not teacher training. Our approach to training is mostly individual or group coaching, as Yoga meditation and contemplation has been traditionally taught for thousands of years. Aspirants with various degrees of experience naturally teach others within the context of their own lives and modes of service.
      http://abhyasaashram.org

      **********************************
      NEW NEWSLETTER:
      **********************************
      We are beginning to transition our newsletter from Yahoo to Mailchimp. It will be necessary for you to resubscribe to the new newsletter. Please click on the following link to resubscribe. You will then receive an email asking you to confirm that it was really you who subscribed.
      CLICK HERE:
      http://eepurl.com/Hrl1H

      **********************************
      NEW ONLINE COURSE:
      **********************************
      What is Yoga as Meditation?
      Created by Swami Jnaneshvara and Swami Ma Tripurashakti

      An increasing number of postural yoga teachers and students are exploring the more traditional meaning of yoga practices as methods of meditation and contemplation intended to lead to Self-realization, or enlightenment, awakening to the ever peaceful, joyous center of consciousness which is one with the absolute reality. This course is designed to be an introduction to that process, to the fact that yoga really does mean "union" of the individual self with the universal Self. The course has 62 lessons and 7.5 hours of material. We hope you enjoy the course. Please share this link with others who may find it interesting and useful.
      https://www.udemy.com/what-is-yoga-as-meditation/
      There are currently over 1,000 subscribers and 50 reviews average 5 stars.

      **********************************
      FACEBOOK PAGES AND GROUPS
      **********************************
      We have several Facebook pages and groups which are listed and linked here:
      LIST of pages: http://alturl.com/m55ev
      ASHRAM:
      https://www.facebook.com/AbhyasaAshram
      https://www.facebook.com/groups/AbhyasaAshramSatsang/

      **********************************
      CURRENT EVENTS CALENDARS
      **********************************
      Details are at Meetup-dot-com calendar (our main calendar):
      http://www.meetup.com/abhyasa-ashram/events/calendar/

      Times below are central time in US (same as Chicago). Unless otherwise specified (such as “Online”) all activities are at Abhyasa Ashram in Florida USA.

      FRI, Oct 25, 9:00am: Om Kriya
      FRI, Oct 25, 12:00: Silent Meditation (Prep @ 11:30am)
      FRI, Oct 25, 6:30pm: Open community, fellowship, satsang at the ashram.

      SAT, Oct 26, 8:00am: Online: Inspired Thoughts of Swami Rama
      SAT, Oct 26, 9:00am: Yoga Nidra
      SAT, Oct 26, 12:00pm: Silent Meditation (Prep @ 11:30am)
      SAT, Oct 26, 6:00pm: Silent Meditation (Prep @ 5:30pm)
      SAT, Oct 26, 7:30pm: Online: The Art of Joyful Living

      SUN, Oct 27, 9:00am: Deep Relaxation: 30-Minute guided meditation
      SUN, Oct 27, 10:00am: Nondualism Satsang: (“Realizing your heart’s desire”)
      SUN, Oct 27, 4:00pm: Online: Bhagavad Gita
      SUN, Oct 27, 6:00pm: Silent Meditation (Prep @ 5:30am)

      MON, Oct 28, 9:00am: Sohum Kriya
      MON, Oct 28, 10:00am: Online satsang: Life Here & Hereafter.
      MON, Oct 28, 12:00pm: Silent Meditation (Prep @ 11:30am)
      MON, Oct 28, 4:00pm: Bhagavad Gita discussion (ashram).

      TUE, Oct 29, 9:00am: Om Kriya
      TUE, Oct 29, 12:00pm: Silent Meditation (Prep @ 11:30am)
      TUE, Oct 29, 6:00pm: Silent Meditation (Prep @ 5:30pm)
      TUE, Oct 29, 7:00pm: Enneagram with John and Debbie Hayes; by registration
              (TUES, OCT 15 - NOV 5)

      WED, Oct 30, 9:00am: Yoga Nidra
      WED, Oct 30, 12:30pm: Wisdom of the Ancient Sages (Mundaka Upanishad) discussion (ashram).
      WED, Oct 30, 6:00pm: Silent Meditation (Prep @ 5:30pm)

      Oct 31-Nov 5: Swami Jnaneshvara will be in New York City

      NOTE: If you are in the local area, you are welcome to sit in on the online discussions from here in the office of the ashram. Also, we sometimes transmit the local gatherings out through the online meeting service.

      Online login info is here:
      https://sites.google.com/site/abhyasaashram/online

      **********************************
      UPCOMING:
      **********************************
      Oct 31-Nov 5: Swami J in New York City
      December 17: Ma Tri returns to US

      **********************************
      ONGOING:
      **********************************
      Weekend or week-long self-transformation meditation retreats at the ashram for Members and Regular Participants of the ashram (by registration; contact for registration). For those who wish to have a vacation at our beaches and also visit the ashram, here is local hotel information:
      https://sites.google.com/site/abhyasaashram/connections/hotels

      **********************************
      CALENDARS and CONNECTIONS:
      **********************************
      Abhyasa Ashram calendar (main calendar is through meetup.com):
      http://www.meetup.com/abhyasa-ashram/#calendar
      Website:
      http://www.abhyasaashram.org

      Nondualism Satsang calendar:
      http://www.meetup.com/nondualism-satsang/#calendar
      Facebook:
      https://www.facebook.com/AbhyasaAshram
      https://www.facebook.com/groups/AbhyasaAshramSatsang/

      **********************************
      DAILY SCHEDULE (typical day, subject to change; see calendar for complete schedules):
      **********************************
      5:00am: Walking (optional, weather permitting)
      6:00-6:30am: Quiet time, internal dialogue, contemplation

      6:30-7:30am: MEDITATION #1
      ..6:30-6:35am: Daily Mantras
      ..6:35-7:00am: Self-guided Prep for Meditation (Hatha, Relaxation, Pranayama)
      ..7:00-7:30am: Silent Meditation

      8:00am: Breakfast; all are welcome
      9:00AM: Recorded guided meditation daily (sohum, om, meditation, or yoga nidra)
      10:00am: Videos, discussions, or personal coaching.

      11:30am-12:30pm: MEDITATION #2
      ..11:00am-12:00pm: Time slot for guided prep for meditation when it is coached
      ..11:30am-12:00pm: Self-guided Prep for Meditation (Hatha, Relaxation, Pranayama)
      ..12:00pm-12:30pm: Silent Meditation

      12:30pm: Lunch; all are welcome
      1:00pm: Time slot for videos, discussions, or personal coaching.

      5:30-6:30pm: MEDITATION #3
      ..5:00-5:30pm: Time slot for guided prep for meditation when it is coached
      ..5:30-6:00pm: Self-guided Prep for Meditation (Hatha, Relaxation, Pranayama)
      ..6:00-6:30pm: Silent Meditation

      6:30pm: Dinner on days with evening program; all are welcome
      7:30pm: Time slot for videos, discussions, personal coaching, or online programs.

      9:00-9:30pm: MEDITATION #4
      ..9:00-9:05pm: Daily Mantras
      ..9:05-9:10pm: Self-guided Prep for Meditation (Brief Hatha, Relaxation, Pranayama)
      ..9:10-9:30pm: Silent Meditation

      9:30pm: Walking (optional, weather permitting)

      The three time periods between the four meditations (mid-morning, afternoon, and evening) are for service work (karma yoga), individual coaching, group discussions at the ashram or online, videos, or personal time.

      Video, study, class, coaching, service, or personal:
      Members and regular visitors to the ashram are welcome to stop by at other reasonable times to use the meditation hall. There is a CD player and copies of the Yoga Nidra and Basic Meditation CDs by Swami Jnaneshvara, as well as guided Om and Sohum Sushumna Kriya practices; you are welcome to use these.

      **********************************
      ASHRAM NEWS
      **********************************
      MAINTENANCE: All maintenance seems to be up to date in the ashram.

      RENOVATION/REPAIRS: We will try to build a deck and canopy at the front door in coming months. Let us know if you would like to help. We need to continue saving up donation money to totally replace the roof, which may cost around $35,000. We continue to explore putting ceiling fans in the dining room, classroom, and office. We continue exploring having the parking lot concrete repaired so that it drains without forming a pond.

      NEW TOWNHOUSE: We have purchased a two-bedroom townhouse less than 2 minutes away from the ashram. Weekend of November 8 we will paint the interior under the supervision of Leela, who is a professional paint contractor. Please let Swami J know if you will be able to help with the painting. Greg and Robin have already volunteered to help.

      HOTEL: Construction on the Holiday Inn Express is coming along; they have completed the construction of most of the hotel. It is scheduled to open in November. Now they are finishing the exterior and installing drywall inside. They are now finishing the interior walls.

      MEMBERSHIP: We have three levels of involvement in the ashram, which are
      described here:
      https://sites.google.com/site/abhyasaashram/connections/membership
      http://swamij.com/abhyasa-ashram.htm#membership
      (membership through December 2013)

      LEARNING SITE: The learning site is now online at http://abhyasaonline.com . Outlines have been created for 25+ self-study outlines. A little more info is here http://bit.ly/iktGmt. Let me know if you would like to participate, sending me your email, first and last name, city and country. If I will not recognize your name, please introduce yourself and let me know about your life and interests, and why you’d like to do this. You may keep in touch with me for clarification and coaching as you go through the self-study material. The site is not actually working properly and mostly serves now only as a place to review pdf files of teachings.

      ONLINE COUSE: We have created an online course “What is Yoga as Meditation?”.  The URL of the course is: https://www.udemy.com/what-is-yoga-as-meditation/  There are over 450 registered students and 30 reviews averaging 5 stars. Check it out; I think you’ll like it.

      FEES and DONATIONS: A special thanks is extended to the people who financially support the ashram. We charge no dues or fees, and the ashram operates on the loving donations of its members and participants.

      **********************************
      ONLINE Satsang
      **********************************
      We currently have several online discussions per week. Look here for details:
      http://www.meetup.com/abhyasa-ashram/calendar/
      https://sites.google.com/site/abhyasaashram/online

      **********************************
      PERSONAL COACHING
      **********************************
      Our approach to training is mostly individual, one-to-one as the way Yoga meditation and contemplation has been traditionally taught for thousands of years. Personal coaching is available by appointment most days at 9:30am or 2:30pm. Please call or write to schedule a time. We also have regular satsang gatherings, which are listed on the calendar. The Coordinating Committee of the ashram (Swami J, Ma Tri, Leela, and Phillip) are developing a pilot program for coaching training; let us know if you would like to participate.

      **********************************
      SPECIAL EVENTS
      **********************************
      Members and regular participants may visit the ashram for meditation retreats, which most often are of great benefit in the regularity and depth of your practices at home. Contact me to discuss times and your specific activities.

      NONDUALISM SATSANG
      A "Sunday Alternative" for the Emerald Coast
      SUNDAY, 10:00am-12:00pm (The conversations are so lively and rich that we usually don’t end on time.)
      At 9:00-10:00am each week we have a Deep Relaxation session of one form or another. Details are announced each week on the calendar (below).

      MEETUP HOMEPAGE
      http://www.meetup.com/nondualism-satsang/
      MEETUP CALENDAR (this is the main calendar for the Nondualism meetings):
      http://www.meetup.com/nondualism-satsang/#calendar