Changing your mind

  • swamijb
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 29, 2002
      ************************
      Swami J's Newsletter
      ************************

      January 29, 2002

      Dear Friends,

      If we could calm our minds and get to the basis of all these
      modifications [of mind], we would find the unity among everything.
      That is the real Yogic life.

      That does not mean we are indifferent to the changes and become
      useless to the world. Instead, with this experience of universal
      unity we function better. We will have happy and harmonious lives.
      Only then can we love our neighbors as our own Self.

      Otherwise, how is it possible? If I identify myself with my mind,
      nobody can have a mind exactly like mine. No two individuals have the
      same body or mind, even twins. Even to the extent of the half-inch
      square thumb we are not the same. Ask the fingerprint experts; they
      will tell you no two fingerprints are the same.

      But behind all these differences, in the Self, we never differ. That
      means behind all these ever-changing phenomena is a never-changing
      One. That One appears to change due to our mental modifications.

      So, by changing your mind you change everything. If only we could
      understand this point, we would see that there is nothing wrong
      outside; it is all in the mind. By correcting our vision we correct
      things outside.*

      *Swami Satchidananda of Yogaville, Yoga Sutras Commentary

      Guided Meditation, February 7 // Retreat, February 23:
      http://SwamiJ.com/Calendar.htm