Student and teacher should be friends

  • Yoga-Meditation-owner@yahoogroups.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 21, 2013
      The disciple should be great friend of the teacher and the teacher should be great friend of the disciple. Here the Upanishadic literature says such an atmosphere should be created; such an understanding should be there between teacher and student. Student should not be used as a slave and teacher should not be used as someone who is far, far beyond your reach, sitting somewhere on a pedestal. Why do we not learn from our great leaders; why Christians were not enough benefited from Christ; why were Hindus not benefited from Krishna; why were Buddhists not benefited from Buddha? Because they always put Buddha, Christ, Krishna on a high pedestal and never reached there. They started worshipping; you are our lord. The lord remained there and you remained here, and there is no guidance. Upanishads say no, you should learn, but in a very friendly way, as a friend. If you are not on good terms with your teacher, if you are not friends with your teacher, why should he teach you? If the teacher is not friend to you, why should you learn? You should create that atmosphere.

      ~Swami Rama